Fantasy Baseball Teams

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Oh, I did think about that, but I count 5 guys who would often go in the top 3 rounds of a 12-team league (Utley, Crawford, Bay, Zambrano, and Webb). I don't know how you get all those players even in a 10-team league -- especially drafting deep in the 5th round.

1. (7) Chase Utley 2B

2. (14) Carl Crawford OF

3. (27) Jason Bay OF

4. (34) Carlos Zambrano SP

5. (47) Brandon Webb SP

Thats how they went for me. I was amazed Zambrano and Webb were still around, but hell, I'm not one to complain :P

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
1. (7) Chase Utley 2B

2. (14) Carl Crawford OF

3. (27) Jason Bay OF

4. (34) Carlos Zambrano SP

5. (47) Brandon Webb SP

Thats how they went for me. I was amazed Zambrano and Webb were still around, but hell, I'm not one to complain :P

Actually, when I check Yahoo's adp, it seems those slots aren't very unusual. I'm just surprised. I guess I think a lot more highly of Webb than most. Anyway, looks like a solid team to me.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
Actually, when I check Yahoo's adp, it seems those slots aren't very unusual. I'm just surprised. I guess I think a lot more highly of Webb than most. Anyway, looks like a solid team to me.

Well as a general rule you don't typically draft pitchers before the 5th inning unless they are ultra elite. Brandon Webb doesn't strike out that many hitters ~170 and even after having a career year last season he still only won 16 games. 5th round seems about right to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Well as a general rule you don't typically draft pitchers before the 5th inning unless they are ultra elite. Brandon Webb doesn't strike out that many hitters ~170 and even after having a career year last season he still only won 16 games. 5th round seems about right to me.

I don't have numbers to back this up, it just seemed to me that people were backing away from rules like that, that pitchers were creeping up in drafts. I've seen a few pieces arguing that the top pitchers were going (roughly) one round too low, given the production. As for Webb in particular, I don't think wins are a big problem -- 16 in a year in which noone in the majors won 20 shouldn't bump a guy down. And the strikeouts, sure, they could be better, but his k rate is close to Carpenter's and well above Halladay's, and it doesn't hurt them much. But if people want to let him slip to the fifth, I'll be grateful.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
I don't have numbers to back this up, it just seemed to me that people were backing away from rules like that, that pitchers were creeping up in drafts. I've seen a few pieces arguing that the top pitchers were going (roughly) one round too low, given the production. As for Webb in particular, I don't think wins are a big problem -- 16 in a year in which noone in the majors won 20 shouldn't bump a guy down. And the strikeouts, sure, they could be better, but his k rate is close to Carpenter's and well above Halladay's, and it doesn't hurt them much. But if people want to let him slip to the fifth, I'll be grateful.

And Webb has been selected right around Carpenter and Halladay as well. As for the 16 wins, that seemed to be a best case scenario for him, in by far his best game as a pro, a year in which he won a Cy Young he still only managed 16 which wasn't bad considering the win totals of others in baseball but from all accounts Webb is almost certainly destined for a bit of regression this season bringing that win total down a bit more. I personally like Brandon Webb but I wouldn't take him any higher than the 5th round same goes for any pitcher not named Santana, Oswalt or Zambrano.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Speaking of luck heres what I did with a 10 man league 5x5

C Jorge Posada

1B Paul Konerko

2B Rickie Weeks

3B Garret Atkins

SS Rafael Furcal

OF Carlos Beltran

OF Vernon Wells

OF Jason Bay

UTIL Travis Hafner

BN Gary Sheffield

BN Felipe Lopez

BN Chris Duncan

BN Alex Gordon

SP John Smoltz

SP Chien Mien Wang

RP Trevor Hoffman

RP JJ Putz

P Todd Jones

P Joe Borowski

P Takashi Saito

BN Curt Schilling

BN Brett Myers

Injury prone yes? What im worried about, cause Bay, Sheff, Weeks, and Beltran are all capable of hitting the DL which would ruin my hitting but Im not too worried about it. Pitchin is solid, I actually am about to accept a deal of me getting Ben Sheets, giving up Putz and Duncan, will help my pitching. I think i can pull off a trade of Jones to guy who has zumaya.

I like my balance though and SPs are consistent year in year out.

I might you suggest looking into a guy like Broxton instead of Borowski or Jones. Neither of those guys will have a very low era or high strikeouts. You already have a ton of saves so there really is no need to start 5 closers. Substituting a low era/whip and high K setup man could be a lot more beneficial.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
And Webb has been selected right around Carpenter and Halladay as well. As for the 16 wins, that seemed to be a best case scenario for him, in by far his best game as a pro, a year in which he won a Cy Young he still only managed 16 which wasn't bad considering the win totals of others in baseball but from all accounts Webb is almost certainly destined for a bit of regression this season bringing that win total down a bit more. I personally like Brandon Webb but I wouldn't take him any higher than the 5th round same goes for any pitcher not named Santana, Oswalt or Zambrano.

No, Webb is going much lower. Carpenter's adp is 19.3 and Halladay's is 35.9, while Webb's is 47.3. The ranking by adp is Santana, Carpenter, Oswalt, Halladay, Zambrano, Peavy, Webb, Dice-K, Smoltz, Hernandez, Lackey.

I don't disagree about wins. I don't know if 16 is an absolute ceiling (so much depends on that bullpen working itself out), but it's close. I wouldn't count on 20.

But overall, I just like his numbers and how stable he's been. I prefer Oswalt, but there's a guy whose k rate has dropped over the last 2 years (last year he and Webb had basically the same rate), who's almost 2 years older than Webb. His team is better, his bullpen is better (well -- probably). But with the direction his numbers are moving and his age, I don't see him being two rounds better than Webb. Jmho.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
I might you suggest looking into a guy like Broxton instead of Borowski or Jones. Neither of those guys will have a very low era or high strikeouts. You already have a ton of saves so there really is no need to start 5 closers. Substituting a low era/whip and high K setup man could be a lot more beneficial.

well yeah actually i was gonna try to trade jones and borowski for a better closer and pick up a stud reliever but i think ill see if my sheets trade goes through.

Ok here's my Soxtalk League 3 team - just drafted:

C Russell Martin

1B Paul Konerko

2B Marcus Giles

3B Chipper Jones

SS Jose Reyes

OF Grady Sizemore

OF Andruw Jones

OF Adam Dunn

UTIL Nick Johnson

BN Alex Gordon

BN Conor Jackson

SP John Lackey

SP Scott Kazmir

SP Tom Glavine

RP Chris Ray

RP Fransisco Cordero

P Andy Pettitte

P Bartolo Colon

P Derek Lowe

BN Mike Gonzalez

BN Cliff Lee

BN Mike Pelfrey

1. (6) Alfonso Soriano OF

2. (21) Manny Ramírez OF

3. (32) Rafael Furcal SS

4. (47) Barry Zito SP

5. (58) Bobby Jenks RP

6. (73) Daisuke Matsuzaka SP

7. (84) C.C. Sabathia SP

8. (99) Huston Street RP

9. (110) Michael Barrett C

10. (125) Mark Teahen 3B

11. (136) A.J. Burnett SP

12. (151) Tadahito Iguchi 2B

13. (162) José Contreras SP

14. (177) Brian Giles OF

15. (188) Nomar Garciaparra 1B

16. (203) Eric Chávez 3B

17. (214) Jim Edmonds OF

18. (229) Jeff Kent 1B,2B

19. (240) Jason Varitek C

20. (255) Omar Vizquel SS

21. (266) Darin Erstad 1B,OF

22. (281) Joe Borowski RP

23. (292) Liván Hernández SP

Just drafted last night (Soxtalk league 3, HtH 6x6):

C - Jorge Posada (11/122)

1B - Mark Teixeira (2/23)

2B - Ray Durham (10/119)

SS - Miguel Tejada (3/26)

3B - Joe Crede (7/74)

OF - Juan Pierre (4/47)

OF - Magglio Ordonez (5/50)

OF - Eric Byrnes (14/167)

UTIL - Pat Burrell (13/146)

BN - Juan Rivera (18/215)

BN - Rich Aurilia (19/218)

BN - Cliff Floyd (21/242)

SP - Johan Santana (1/2)

SP - Brett Myers (9/98)

SP - Justin Verlander (8/95)

RP - Todd Jones (6/71)

RP - Jason Isringhausen (12/143)

P - Ryan Dempster (15/170)

P - Kevin Millwood (16/191)

P - Brad Penny (17/194)

BN - Greg Maddux (20/239)

BN - Woody Williams (22/263)

Hmm well lets see: Ive never done 6x6 stats, im assuming ops was added to hitting and either Losses for pitching or walks?

Id imagine some guys like Bonds become more valuable because he generally has a great ops, same with Big Hurt and Hafner. Pitching not too sure.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Hmm well lets see: Ive never done 6x6 stats, im assuming ops was added to hitting and either Losses for pitching or walks?

Id imagine some guys like Bonds become more valuable because he generally has a great ops, same with Big Hurt and Hafner. Pitching not too sure.

We added OPS and K/BB for the 6th stat.

Pretty ridiculously good team you got there tony, althoug im not a swisher and chavez fan because both are so inconsistent at the plate you got great hitters around them. Weaks is going to have a monster year if healthy.

I love how in all my leagues lots of people overlook bonds and i grab him as a bench player.

Pitching well Id say you could use a closer but tahts because I love having up to 4, guarantee me a win in category and lower my whip and era most of the time.

I have two teams, one was auto-draft, and last night I drafted this team

C-Mauer

1-Teixera

1-3-W.Helms

2-SS-3-Lugo

2-SS-3-F. Sanchez

SS-Furcal

3-Beltre

OF-C.Crawford

OF-Willingham

OF-Rios

OF-Hawpe

OF-Quentin

OF-Matthew Jr

UT-Thome

SP-Webb

SP-Kazmir

SP-Bedard

SP-Bush

SP-Wolf

RP-Valverde

RP-Saito

RP-Isringhausen

RP-Benetiz

How I drafted them (I was picking 11th)

1-Crawford-OF

2-Teixera-1

3-Mauer-C

4-Webb-SP

5-Furcal-SS

6-Lugo-SS/2/3

7-Kazmir-SP

8-Bedard-SP

9-Rios-OF

10-Thome-UT

11-Sanchez-3/SS/2

12-Beltre-3

13-Valverde-RP

14-Saito-RP

15-Hawpe-OF

16-Bush-SP

17-Benetiz-RP

18-Willingham

19-Isringhausen

20-Quentin-OF

21-Wolf-SP

22-Helms-3/1

23-Matthew, Jr-OF

10 team roto keeper league 6x6 (OBP and Holds added)...I'm not happy with my team

C -- K. Johjima

1B -- D. Lee

2B -- C. Utley

SS -- D. Jeter

3B -- G. Atkins

OF -- M. Teahen

OF -- J. Willingham

OF -- J. Gomes

U -- C. Duncan

SP -- J. Bonderman

SP -- C. Hamels

SP -- R. Hill

SP -- S. Olsen

SP -- M. Pelfrey

RP -- J. Nathan

RP -- F. Cordero

RP -- T. Saito

P -- S. Shields

P -- S. Linebrink

P -- J. Speier

My OF is really weak. This was the first draft with keepers out of the pool and I completely underestimated the shallowness this caused in the OF. I wanted to set my IF, especially SS and 2B first, which I did, but ignoring the OF could be my demise. I should be good in SV, Hld, ERA, WHIP, and compete in K's. But my offense, outside of R and SB, is complete crap.

I like your chris duncan pick mmmmmbeer and hamels, you have a nice pitchin staff, but yeah i agree your OF might hurt you

Thats alot of OF positions kwolf jesus lol and rp, not a big willingham or beltre fan but they had down years, so maybe this year they put up better numbers. Beltre should he and sexson had a great 2nd half of season. You have some solid pitching which helps you.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10 team roto keeper league 6x6 (OBP and Holds added)...I'm not happy with my team

C -- K. Johjima

1B -- D. Lee

2B -- C. Utley

SS -- D. Jeter

3B -- G. Atkins

OF -- M. Teahen

OF -- J. Willingham

OF -- J. Gomes

U -- C. Duncan

SP -- J. Bonderman

SP -- C. Hamels

SP -- R. Hill

SP -- S. Olsen

SP -- M. Pelfrey

RP -- J. Nathan

RP -- F. Cordero

RP -- T. Saito

P -- S. Shields

P -- S. Linebrink

P -- J. Speier

My OF is really weak. This was the first draft with keepers out of the pool and I completely underestimated the shallowness this caused in the OF. I wanted to set my IF, especially SS and 2B first, which I did, but ignoring the OF could be my demise. I should be good in SV, Hld, ERA, WHIP, and compete in K's. But my offense, outside of R and SB, is complete crap.

So you have no bech? :huh:

Gomes or Willingham against LHP/Duncan against RHP is a great platoon

12 team rotisserie league on yahoo:

C: Russell Martin

1B: Prince Fielder

2B: Howie Kendrick

3B: Edwin Encarnacion

SS: Rafael Furcal

OF: Andruw Jones

OF: Adam Dunn

OF: Delmon Young

UTIL: Travis Hafner

Bench: Chris Burke (2B, OF eligible)

Bench: Aubrey Huff (3B, OF eligible)

Bench: Adrian Gonzalez (1B eligible)

SP: Johan Santana

SP: Aaron Harang

RP: J.J. Putz

RP: Francisco Cordero

P: Joel Zumaya

P: Javier Vazquez

P: Ervin Santana

Bench: Dave Bush

Bench: Scott Olsen

For a 12 team league, I'm really happy with this. I have 2 more yahoo 12 team drafts later this week with a couple groups of friends of mine (although those leagues are head to head), I hope they go well too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101