Rowand to the Sox??

Rockabilly

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
Just FYI. Rowand has not played in the last two Phillies games (Friday and Saturday). Victorino has started both of the games. Sometimes teams stop playing players before trades. Could just be a coincidence.

Rowand probably slipped and fell into a wall when grinding his way into the shower.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Rowand probably slipped and fell into a wall when grinding his way into the shower.

That does beg the question, do guys like Rowand and Erstad grind and hustle throughout their daily lives while doing things like taking out the garbage and doing the laundry or is the GRINDER MENTALITY exclusive to the ball field?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 11:15 PM)
Don't know if this was posted, but Comcast said the package would revolved around Logan. If it's Logan and a middle prospect, go ahead and do it.

If the White Sox were to reacquire Rowand and he were to depart as a FA, do people think he could qualify as a Type A free agent and bring the Sox 2 2nd round/better draft picks in return? If we could pull that off, it'd basically be a swap of Logan for a second and a sandwich and an extra year for Anderson in the minors, which might be tolerable if we're not planning on trying out Sisco as a starter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
If the White Sox were to reacquire Rowand and he were to depart as a FA, do people think he could qualify as a Type A free agent and bring the Sox 2 2nd round/better draft picks in return? If we could pull that off, it'd basically be a swap of Logan for a second and a sandwich and an extra year for Anderson in the minors, which might be tolerable if we're not planning on trying out Sisco as a starter.

Well, Sisco is going to be the 2nd lefy/long man out of the pen, and is best suited for the pen, if you ask me.

Gillick is looking for a sucker. Rowand is in his walk year. The stars aligned perfectly for the Sox and Rowand in 05' . That was his career year. He's worth zilch now and maybe less approaching free agency. I wouldn't trade Logan or much of anything for him. It's extremely necessary to show patience with Anderson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)

If the Sox acquire Rowand at this point in the season, that would tell me enough to bet dollars to donuts that Anderson is done as a White Sox player.

Lineup w/ Rowand (and Pods on DL)...

1. Erstad, LF

2. Iguchi, 2B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Crede, 3B

8. Rowand, CF

9. Uribe, SS

eh... I am not a big fan of Rowand's offense and I think he would only be a slight upgrade over Anderson.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:20 AM)
Philly fans are insane....on ESPN boards they are saying the Sox would have to deal them Thornton and/or MacDougal...there is no damn way I would trade either of those to for ARow....I'd rather shoot for Rios as others have said.

Trading for Rios is actually an interesting scenario.

The Blue Jays would want one of our starters, probably either Buehrle or Garland I'd imagine.

However, and this is where it gets interesting, if you could get say Rios and a good young arm or 2 like David Purcey or Ricky Romero, that's something that could be worth looking at.

Then you could trade Anderson to the Marlins for 2 of their good young arms, as they're desperate for a good young CF and would probably overpay for one.

So in that scenario our chances of competiting in 2007 would be weaker, but we'd be much better in the long - term I'd say.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox are still mum on the idea of bringing back outfielder Aaron Rowand in a trade with Philadelphia, but according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Sox scouts have been seen at several Phillies games this week.

Sox general manager Ken Williams said on Thursday, ''It's the time when general managers give their scouts more direct assignments.''

When asked if he had ''directed'' some scouts toward Philadelphia's spring-training home in Clearwater, Fla., Williams said, ''I have not changed their schedules.''

The Phillies have been in search of middle relief and are also believed to be in talks with San Diego about Rowand.

There has been speculation that Philadelphia was asking for left-hander Matt Thornton, and if that's the case, it will not happen.

And then I saw this;

Jeremy Reed was the key prospect the Mariners demanded from the White Sox when they sent pitcher Freddy Garcia to the South Side on June 27, 2004. Garcia is no longer with the Sox, and Reed, though only 25, is beginning to fade from the Mariners' picture.

After being the Mariners' starting center fielder the last two seasons, Reed is vying for a spot as the fourth outfielder after proving to be fragile and offensively challenged. Word out of the Mariners' camp is Reed is being showcased in the Cactus League as trade bait.

Reed didn't return last season after breaking his right thumb July 2. At the time, he was hitting .217 in 212 at-bats. The lefty-swinging Reed has hit only .165 against left-handers, making him a prime platoon candidate.

''I'm better than this, and it's unfortunate I haven't shown enough of that,'' Reed told the Tacoma News Tribune. ''At some point, that has to change. I hope my teammates believe I belong here. I believe it.''

Backup CF, if Anderson doesn't make the team, if you could acquire him cheaply?

Let me ask this question, if the deal is Aardsma and a prospect or two like Tracey,---not Logan--what do people say? The Phills would probably want someone with more experience than Logan, seeing how they have like 3 spots in the pen to fill.

Right now, Aardsma looks like he could be the odd man out in the bullpen--esp. if the sox only take 11 pitchers. Haeger should be the long man in the pen--he's the only guy suited for it and it won't hurt his development. He had his AAA yr as a SP. That means even if the sox traded Aarsdma, they would have either Logan or Masset in AAA as the first bullpen arm to be called up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Reed is beginning to look more and more like Terrero.

If we're choosing b/w him and Rowand though, considering you'd give up quite a bit less for Reed, I'd rather acquire Jeremy.

And some reasons for that, are he's still young, he has room to improve especially power wise, and he has constantly put up better numbers away from Safeco.

The only problem is that he's a lefty, which means he's pretty much a younger version of Darin Erstad I guess.

Still if you could say make a Sean Tracey for Jeremy Reed deal, even if you had to stick Reed in AAA this season, I would make that deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
Let me ask this question, if the deal is Aardsma and a prospect or two like Tracey,---not Logan--what do people say? The Phills would probably want someone with more experience than Logan, seeing how they have like 3 spots in the pen to fill.

Right now, Aardsma looks like he could be the odd man out in the bullpen--esp. if the sox only take 11 pitchers. Haeger should be the long man in the pen--he's the only guy suited for it and it won't hurt his development. He had his AAA yr as a SP. That means even if the sox traded Aarsdma, they would have either Logan or Masset in AAA as the first bullpen arm to be called up.

I'd still pass.

The bullpen is going to have Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal as the definites. I still see 3 places up for grabs b/w Haeger, Aardsma, Masset, Sisco and Logan.

Looking at that, only 1 of the lefties and 2 of the righties should make the team. I don't know if there's going to be a guaranteed spot for Haeger there like a lot of people are speculating right now, I think it's still very much in the air.

So for the moment, unless the Sox brass definitely know who's going to make it, I'd rather keep Aardsma.

You still have to remember in all of this, the bullpen was a major reason for our downfall last season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
Backup CF, if Anderson doesn't make the team, if you could acquire him cheaply?

Reed would make sense. Esp. as he's been playing all 3 OF spots this spring. Besides BA, the sox don't have a reliable guy to play above avg. CF defense. Erstad has lost some steps for sure. If you can acquire Reed for not much--his value has gone way down--the sox should do it if they think he can hit in the bigs. Like you said, even if he's in AAA, he's a better bet to play in the bigs for longer than Jerry Owens.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I'd still pass.

The bullpen is going to have Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal as the definites. I still see 3 places up for grabs b/w Haeger, Aardsma, Masset, Sisco and Logan.

Looking at that, only 1 of the lefties and 2 of the righties should make the team. I don't know if there's going to be a guaranteed spot for Haeger there like a lot of people are speculating right now, I think it's still very much in the air.

So for the moment, unless the Sox brass definitely know who's going to make it, I'd rather keep Aardsma.

You still have to remember in all of this, the bullpen was a major reason for our downfall last season.

With aardsma, it all depends on what they sox think his ceiling is. Will he be a reliable bullpen arm, an 8th and 9th inning guy? If he can develop into a 8th or 9th inning guy, the sox should keep him by all means. Chances are, he'll be in AAA to start the yr though. And will be needed in case of injury. Yet he could be a Sean Tracey type on the sox if he stays in AAA for the yr.

You also have to factor in with an Rowand acquisition, Mackowiak would likely be traded. You have to figure the sox could get an arm or two for the AAA bullpen in such a deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:42 AM)
Reed would make sense. Esp. as he's been playing all 3 OF spots this spring. Besides BA, the sox don't have a reliable guy to play above avg. CF defense. Erstad has lost some steps for sure. If you can acquire Reed for not much--his value has gone way down--the sox should do it if they think he can hit in the bigs. Like you said, even if he's in AAA, he's a better bet to play in the bigs for longer than Jerry Owens.

Ryan Sweeney and Luis Terrero are both above average defensively in CF...

Back to Reed, I would be a big fan of getting him back. I have always liked him, and I think he has been underachieving these past 2 years. I think he can still turn into that .330/.370/.400 guy a lot of people thought he would be, like myself. And even if he does start at AAA, he still has more potential to be a leadoff hitter then Owens, plus he is a stud defensively. Like someone else said, he is like a younger but less polished form of Darin Erstad.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Ryan Sweeney and Luis Terrero are both above average defensively in CF...

Back to Reed, I would be a big fan of getting him back. I have always liked him, and I think he has been underachieving these past 2 years. I think he can still turn into that .330/.370/.400 guy a lot of people thought he would be, like myself. And even if he does start at AAA, he still has more potential to be a leadoff hitter then Owens, plus he is a stud defensively. Like someone else said, he is like a younger but less polished form of Darin Erstad.

One's not an actual CF, and the other one sucks.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
One's not an actual CF, and the other one sucks.

Even so, Sweeney can play above average D in CF. And Terrero seems to fit in well. From what I have seen from Terrero this spring, he can bunt, he has a good arm, he gets good reads, he has good speed, and he can hit a little. Right now, he seems like the best fit for the 4th OF'er. That is if he isn't injured badly.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
Even so, Sweeney can play above average D in CF. And Terrero seems to fit in well. From what I have seen from Terrero this spring, he can bunt, he has a good arm, he gets good reads, he has good speed, and he can hit a little. Right now, he seems like the best fit for the 4th OF'er. That is if he isn't injured badly.

Terrero has played a grand total of like 2 innings on television this spring and that might be a little generous. You've deducted an awful lot from a VERY small sample size.

And if by "hit a little" you mean "about as much as Jason Dellaero then yeah, I agree. If you have MLB.tv I recommend you go back and watch a few Orioles games from last season, talk about pathetic at the plate, he made Brian Anderson look like Garret. It's also enjoyable listening to the announcers openly mock Terrero as he comes to the plate. It took him 23 games and 35 ABs last season to get his first extra base hit.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
Terrero has played a grand total of like 2 innings on television this spring and that might be a little generous. You've deducted an awful lot from a VERY small sample size.

And if by "hit a little" you mean "about as much as Jason Dellaero then yeah, I agree. If you have MLB.tv I recommend you go back and watch a few Orioles games from last season, talk about pathetic at the plate, he made Brian Anderson look like Garret. It's also enjoyable listening to the announcers openly mock Terrero as he comes to the plate. It took him 23 games and 35 ABs last season to get his first extra base hit.

I have seen him play about 10 innings on TV this season so far, thank you very much ;)

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I have seen him play about 10 innings on TV this season so far, thank you very much ;)

so, in those 10 innings, how many times have you seen him bunt?

and how f'ing important is bunting anyways? Not really that important, so that's a moot point. Timo Perez is a good bunter, maybe the Sox should trade for him again...?