Rowand to the Sox??

Rockabilly

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Now the Sox are looking at Lieber and Rowand?? Rogers seems to think so.....

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Rogers is going with the throw enough crap at the wall, some of it might stick theory of covering the sox this ST.

Could the Sox work a deal for Lieber and center fielder Aaron Rowand? Yes, but it might cost them Joe Crede or Josh Fields—who looks ready to hit at the big-league level—or at the least Mike MacDougal, Rob Mackowiak and prospects.

This is just plain f***ing stupid to even throw this out as crazy talk.

I don't mind the names the Sox would be getting, but I don't see the logic in it. Phils would want major league talent and I don't see those guys being worth giving up major league talent to get.

Good to see that tidbit on Hermy in that article about how good he's been pitching.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:07 AM)
Backup CF, if Anderson doesn't make the team, if you could acquire him cheaply?

Oh hell YES!!! Jeremy Reed....my man crush... :wub: :wub: :wub:

If he comes back here, I guaranDAMNtee he'll be a stud again. He should be starting LF for us if that's the case forget that backup CF crap. Reed-Anderson-Dye and your sitting pretty. Reed is a sexy grinder.

On a sidenote...if we acquire another starter and Danks/Floyd pitch well would anyone be shocked if Kenny was just picking up another arm which basically gave him the right to move Buehrle or another starter.

Maybe Kenny and Mark have talked in close doors and came to an understanding that regardless a contract won't work. For example, the two sides tried things this past week and in the end Mark wasn't willing to go 4 years unless he got like 18 mill per year and Kenny was understanding considering the market and the two have stayed quiet and now we look for another starter and than quickly move one of ours (I'm not saying it will happen or that this has happened, but if we are acquiring a starter my guess is there is a chance it would be to open up the gates for another one of our starters to head out or at least buy Danks a bit more time in the minors and Floyd more time to work on the changes he's made).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
On a sidenote...if we acquire another starter and Danks/Floyd pitch well would anyone be shocked if Kenny was just picking up another arm which basically gave him the right to move Buehrle or another starter.

Maybe Kenny and Mark have talked in close doors and came to an understanding that regardless a contract won't work. For example, the two sides tried things this past week and in the end Mark wasn't willing to go 4 years unless he got like 18 mill per year and Kenny was understanding considering the market and the two have stayed quiet and now we look for another starter and than quickly move one of ours (I'm not saying it will happen or that this has happened, but if we are acquiring a starter my guess is there is a chance it would be to open up the gates for another one of our starters to head out or at least buy Danks a bit more time in the minors and Floyd more time to work on the changes he's made).

No, I wouldn't be shocked. If our coaching staff is concerned with Buehrle they may feel trading him now is most beneficial to our ballclub.

However, it can't be ignored the staggering amount of expectations and/or critcism such a move would place upon management, coaching staff, scouts, Danks/Floyd etc. If a starter is dealt, it can't be for anything other than a legitimate #1/#2 SP prospect. I don't care if it's Buehrle's walk year; Williams can't possible justify trade him at this juncture unless a return package undoubtedly favors us. No "fair deals" or Gavin Floyd projects. It has to be a sure fire, top of the rotation talent.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
No, I wouldn't be shocked. If our coaching staff is concerned with Buehrle they may feel trading him now is most beneficial to our ballclub.

However, it can't be ignored the staggering amount of expectations and/or critcism such a move would place upon management, coaching staff, scouts, Danks/Floyd etc. If a starter is dealt, it can't be for anything other than a legitimate #1/#2 SP prospect. I don't care if it's Buehrle's walk year; Williams can't possible justify trade him at this juncture unless a return package undoubtedly favors us. No "fair deals" or Gavin Floyd projects. It has to be a sure fire, top of the rotation talent.

so let me throw it back at you...say a team is willing to give up a guy like Nick Adenhart (the caliber player, not the name - I'm not gonna do a ton of research on this) who does have that talent but has not pitched at the AA level yet...do you still make that move, knowing he may be 3 years away from cracking the bigs, and 4-5 years away from being a top of the rotation starter?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
so let me throw it back at you...say a team is willing to give up a guy like Nick Adenhart (the caliber player, not the name - I'm not gonna do a ton of research on this) who does have that talent but has not pitched at the AA level yet...do you still make that move, knowing he may be 3 years away from cracking the bigs, and 4-5 years away from being a top of the rotation starter?

I'll throw in a better name. Franklin Morales. It is right around Tizz's range considering he is Latin and all. He does throw hard and is left-handed but very, very raw and only 21 but his potential is ungodly. He's from the Rockies (of all teams) organization. Here's his stats and just alittle info. I refuse to do alot of research tonight but you get my concept.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
so, in those 10 innings, how many times have you seen him bunt?

and how f'ing important is bunting anyways? Not really that important, so that's a moot point. Timo Perez is a good bunter, maybe the Sox should trade for him again...?

I'd be a happy man if the Sox didn't bunt one time this season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)

I would approve such a move contingent upon the statistics and scouting reports. Three years away from the big leagues fits in well with several veterans (Contreras/Garland) having left or about to.

Basically, anything that is immediately shunned across baseball as a terrible move by the opposing team should be the only condition for Williams trading Buehrle.

I've actually heard of Franklin Morales and would love to acquire him. The point, as I see it, is finding a pitcher whom you know we'd hardly have a chance of drafting with two compensation picks. I'd love nothing more than waking up tomorrow to find out Williams traded Buehrle for Tim Linecum. Even if he is relatively raw and several years away from the majors.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
I'll throw in a better name. Franklin Morales. It is right around Tizz's range considering he is Latin and all. He does throw hard and is left-handed but very, very raw and only 21 but his potential is ungodly. He's from the Rockies (of all teams) organization. Here's his stats and just alittle info. I refuse to do alot of research tonight but you get my concept.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
I would approve such a move contingent upon the statistics and scouting reports. Three years away from the big leagues fits in well with several veterans (Contreras/Garland) having left or about to.

Basically, anything that is immediately shunned across baseball as a terrible move by the opposing team should be the only condition for Williams trading Buehrle.

I've actually heard of Franklin Morales and would love to acquire him. The point, as I see it, is finding a pitcher whom you know we'd hardly have a chance of drafting with two compensation picks. I'd love nothing more than waking up tomorrow to find out Williams traded Buehrle for Tim Linecum. Even if he is relatively raw and several years away from the majors.

I understand what you both are saying, and Morales does have fascinating potential. But my problem with such a pitcher is not only command problems at such a low level, but also potential mechanics problems. I just can't help but to think of Francisco Liriano and how quickly his elbow blew out because of his poor mechanics. It's wrong to group every talented lefty into that same group, but it's not without merit. Again, stuff that raw is always beyond intriguing, but it's a crapshoot, and that's my problem with that type of pitcher being a huge part of a deal.

If I personally am going to make a deal like that, I'll either overpay for a prospect of that quality who is close to the majors and who does have good mechanics (and even in that scenario, you are bit in the ass sometimes, with Prior instantly coming to mind), I'll get other prospects included within that package, similar to what the Twins did in the biggest heist in the past 25 years (though almost certainly not to that level), or I'll trade stopgaps and never-will-be's for kids with incredibly raw stuff, which is exactly what KW did this offseason with Sisco and Lujan (and to a certain extent, Masset and Rasner).

I just don't think it's justifiable to trade a proven commodity - regardless of whether said commodity could be a 1 or 5 in any given year - for a single raw piece. I'm not sure whether you are actually suggesting that Flash, but while I agree and have agreed with your take on adding very high upside arms to the system, it's just not sane to add one raw arm for one proven arm, regardless of upside of said arm. At that point, I figure you are better taking the compensatory picks rather than taking said pitcher.

I'm not opposed at all to dealing Buehrle, and while you don't have to rob that other team in a trade, you can't have a return like the Garcia deal (and I'm a relative fan of the Garcia deal too, but it's easy to see that KW didn't get market value for him...he would not have been able to get much more, but one added arm would have atleast helped save grace). You must get atleast market value for Buehrle, and at this point in time, that's a top 5 prospect and a top 10 prospect.

Given, I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, so if I am, slap me. :D

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Oh hell YES!!! Jeremy Reed....my man crush... :wub: :wub: :wub:

If he comes back here, I guaranDAMNtee he'll be a stud again. He should be starting LF for us if that's the case forget that backup CF crap. Reed-Anderson-Dye and your sitting pretty. Reed is a sexy grinder.

Ha I'd thought you'd be on board.

And I think it's definitely worth considering if the price is right.

And the price would be a Sean Tracey type of reliever, who's not going to make it with us, a Heath Phillips type of SP, or even Jerry Owens, but I think Reed has more potential in the long run than Owens. Reed could still make it as a starting OF, while Owens is probably going to be nothing more than a 4th OF.

And considering we'd be dealing with Bill Bavasi here, anything is possible. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 02:53 AM)
Ha I'd thought you'd be on board.

And I think it's definitely worth considering if the price is right.

And the price would be a Sean Tracey type of reliever, who's not going to make it with us, a Heath Phillips type of SP, or even Jerry Owens, but I think Reed has more potential in the long run than Owens. Reed could still make it as a starting OF, while Owens is probably going to be nothing more than a 4th OF.

And considering we'd be dealing with Bill Bavasi here, anything is possible. :)

the price would probably be someone who can be a starting pitcher within the next couple years or one that has high upside; you're looking at probably Haeger, Sisco, or at the very best price, Aardsma and Phillips/Tracey. If Reed is dealt for less, I'd be extremely surprised. Regardless of how poorly he's performed, he's always had talent offensively, and he's a plus defender. This isn't a situation like there is in Milwaukee where they have about 6-7 guys who can play the OF when virtually none of them have options.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
the price would probably be someone who can be a starting pitcher within the next couple years or one that has high upside; you're looking at probably Haeger, Sisco, or at the very best price, Aardsma and Phillips/Tracey. If Reed is dealt for less, I'd be extremely surprised. Regardless of how poorly he's performed, he's always had talent offensively, and he's a plus defender. This isn't a situation like there is in Milwaukee where they have about 6-7 guys who can play the OF when virtually none of them have options.

I think Bavasi would be very interested in Phillips actually.

Look at the SP he's targeted over the past couple of seasons, mainly Jarrod Washburn and Horacio Razmirez. Phillips fits that mould, and could be succesful at Safeco possibly. It's something really worth considering.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 04:04 AM)
I think Bavasi would be very interested in Phillips actually.

Look at the SP he's targeted over the past couple of seasons, mainly Jarrod Washburn and Horacio Razmirez. Phillips fits that mould, and could be succesful at Safeco possibly. It's something really worth considering.

Jim Parque too

That's not the point though. As poor of a GM as he is, he understands (to an extent, I assume) guys who have no value to a club, and guys who do. As of right now, the Mariners have jacks*** for a 4th OFer and have quite a few potential SP types. Therefore, I don't think they give up Reed without getting a quality player or two back in return.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
i don't know if this information has been posted yet, but this could be the final peice to getting Rowand back

"Aaron was the heart and soul of our championship team, and this mix tape proves that," said Guillen. "Do you think Brian Anderson would take the time to tell his manager how he feels? I don't think so."

BA is a hated man. :lol: Damn those mix tapes!!

Edited by SoxAce