Ozzie's Respone

HeGone33

Well I started the topic on what Phillips said so it's only fitting to start the one with Ozzie's response.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said Thursday he hopes ESPN baseball analyst Steve Phillips' latest statement about him is correct.

Because as far as Guillen is concerned, if Phillips is right about his speculation on Guillen's job security, it would be the first time.

Phillips said on the air Wednesday that Guillen is the manager most on the hot seat this season.

It wasn't the first time the former New York Mets general manager has been critical of Guillen. That has left the Sox' skipper to think it is personal.

''Every time I talk to him, he tries to be nice to me,'' Guillen said. ''If I'm in that position [on the hot seat], then I'm in great shape because I have two more years on my contract. And I guarantee him if I'm done with the White Sox, I can go to my house or get another job.

''I have a better record than his manager [bobby Valentine] did with the Mets. I have a better record as a manager than [Phillips] when he was the Mets' general manager. We pick better players than he did back then. He forgot about when I was with Atlanta and he was the general manager [of the Mets] and we beat him. He forgot I was the guy who hit the base hit to right field to win the game.''

Added Guillen: ''One thing I like to do is prove people wrong.''

I LOVE OZZIE!!!

Yeah, I tacked something on to your previous thread about this. ESPN radio picked up the story and had Phillips on as a guest last night too. I didn't listen because I can't stand when ESPN manufactures a story. Of course they hide behind the "he gets paid to give his opinion" stance that so many poor journalists hide behind (Jay Marrioti).

However, I don't buy that argument in this case at all. If the question was "who is on the hotseat?" that should be based on things Phillips as an "insider" is hearing from his sources, not a manufactued statement so he can get airtime and ESPN has new Ozzie sound clips.

Phillips was a year early with these comments. If we fail to make the playoffs this year, Ozzie would be in the hot seat for 2008. But even an Ozzie hater like me knows this season has no shot as being his last one here (and I hope we are really good, Ozzie has a good year, and I eat my words).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
lol, everytime Phillips is critical of anyone, they turn around and say "You were a sh**ty general manager, can it"

It's almost too easy. As much as Phillips doesn't know what he's talking about for the most part, he gained a lot of respect with me when he was basically the only media member to admit he was wrong about the Sox in 05.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
It's almost too easy. As much as Phillips doesn't know what he's talking about for the most part, he gained a lot of respect with me when he was basically the only media member to admit he was wrong about the Sox in 05.

Seems to me like he might be getting a little more practice in admitting he's wrong. :P