McCarthy vs. Cotts

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Cotts has allowed 14 hits in 5 innings of work this spring. Still sounds like the guy who allowed nearly a .500 OBP against him after the break.

I guess he really is settling into the "Glendon Rusch" role.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
There's no way Cotts is healthy.

Actually maybe this is Cotts. In 2005 he had pinpoint control, and kept the ball down and on the corners. However with Cotts he has always been around the strikezone and not necessarily in it. In the majors, you get behind with 2 pitches and you get rocked. I think 05 was the abnormality, and the rest is Cotts. If he can keep the ball down and throw with control he will be fine.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
Actually maybe this is Cotts. In 2005 he had pinpoint control, and kept the ball down and on the corners. However with Cotts he has always been around the strikezone and not necessarily in it. In the majors, you get behind with 2 pitches and you get rocked. I think 05 was the abnormality, and the rest is Cotts. If he can keep the ball down and throw with control he will be fine.

I honestly believe it's his arm. Not his control.

Perhaps his delivery is back to its old form and you're correct. But from what I recall, in the last several months of 2006, Cotts arm motion to the catcher was in one continuous action. This was different from the hitch/arm pump/whatever you want to label which was previously responsible for deceiving hitters.

It always seemed so obvious to me, yet, Cotts failed to revert back to it. At a certain point I began to believe some part of his left arm was in trouble. When he finally delt for Aarsdam, I was happy to receive anything for him now.

Edited by Flash Tizzle