March 9th: White Sox vs. Arizona

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
If Boone Logan wasn't here and acting like Boone Logan last year, I might be tempted to call Danks this year's ST Boone Logan.

Yeah. If he continues pitching well throughout spring training against major leaguers (and not the crap Logan faced in late innigns last year), he'll be on his own.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
If we're really serious about Danks, he should be starting games from this point forward. When you come into a game after the starter, there's a chance several of the opposing team's players may have been replaced. He should be giving our coaches a good look against legitimate major league talent.

I think I read that he would get a start this weekend, no?

gio is still a long shot, but I think he might get a start too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
If Boone Logan wasn't here and acting like Boone Logan last year, I might be tempted to call Danks this year's ST Boone Logan.

Difference is before Boone pitched in ST, no one ever heard of him and his entire story was a shock. Danks on the other hand is a good prospect and is expected to be a major league top of the rotation guy.

I agree with Flash, put him in against a good hitting team as a starter and see how he handles it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
I still really don't want to rush this kid...

If he's the best bet to put wins on the board, he better be starting in the bigs. Some players can handle "being rushed" (Bonderman certainly has survived). I assume the worst case would be Danks heads north and gets slammed and is repalced in the rotation by someone like Haeger. I would hope that Danks would have the resilience to survive and pull himself together in AAA. If he doesn't, that's a sign he's not the guy Williams thinks he is.

Just for reference, McCarthy debuted when he was 21 (Danks is 21 now) and got hit hard. And then he came back from AAA to be lights out down the stretch in 2005. If McCarthy could do it, Danks should be able to as well.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
If he's the best bet to put wins on the board, he better be starting in the bigs. Some players can handle "being rushed" (Bonderman certainly has survived). I assume the worst case would be Danks heads north and gets slammed and is repalced in the rotation by someone like Haeger. I would hope that Danks would have the resilience to survive and pull himself together in AAA. If he doesn't, that's a sign he's not the guy Williams thinks he is.

Just for reference, McCarthy debuted when he was 21 (Danks is 21 now) and got hit hard. And then he came back from AAA to be lights out down the stretch in 2005. If McCarthy could do it, Danks should be able to as well.

I think the worst case for Danks is that if he's rushed he could wind up turning into Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)

Bonderman didn't exactly succeed immediately in the majors. Instead of working himself through the minors he was sent to the majors out of A ball.

Danks should atleast have some time in AAA.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
I think the worst case for Danks is that if he's rushed he could wind up turning into Gavin Floyd.

And then there are guys like Mark Buerhle who came up and did ok also.

Some guys have the stones and the talent, and others have talent and no stones.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
And then there are guys like Mark Buerhle who came up and did ok also.

Some guys have the stones and the talent, and others have talent and no stones.

You know why I'm hesitant about Danks? Not only because he may not be ready, but let's remember who his agent is. Sending him up, then down, wastes valuable service time. That's atleast how I see it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
You know why I'm hesitant about Danks? Not only because he may not be ready, but let's remember who his agent is. Sending him up, then down, wastes valuable service time. That's atleast how I see it.

We have to deal with the devil at some point. I understand that Danks starts the arbitration clock and all, but if having him out there is a better option than Floyd then I saw go for it. I would rather see what we have now, then wait 2 years and then have a few starters down and then have to rely on him if he isnt what he is supposed to be.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)

To me, if Danks turns into Gavin Floyd it will be because he's not a very good pitcher, not becuase got rushed to the bigs and couldn't handle failing. I don't think that debuting at a young age derailed Floyd. If you look at his minor league numbers he's always had low K totals, and generally unimpressive stats. Add to that his loss of velocity the last few years and you have a guy struggling to post a 6 ERA in NL.

I like the "win now" idea, and I'm in favor of putting the best pitcher out on the hill every 5th day. To win the Central, the Sox need someone to step up there. If Danks outpitches the other guys in spring training, he should make the team. No reason to waste his pitches in Charlotte.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
To me, if Danks turns into Gavin Floyd it will be because he's not a very good pitcher, not becuase got rushed to the bigs and couldn't handle failing. I don't think that debuting at a young age derailed Floyd. If you look at his minor league numbers he's always had low K totals, and generally unimpressive stats. Add to that his loss of velocity the last few years and you have a guy struggling to post a 6 ERA in NL.

but....but...but.. OUR SCOUTS SAW SOMETHING IN HIM IN THE ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)

The Bonderman reference was just to point out that some pitchers manage to survive not succeeding immediately in the bigs. I know he got beat up early on. It actually was a stupid move by the Tigers, because they weren't contending that year anyway.

If having Danks spend a month and a half down at Charlotte delays free agency by a year, that's a consideration. But I hate to see a team that has a chance to make the playoffs lower their chances of winning 6 or 8 games that could be a difference at the end of the year.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
but....but...but.. OUR SCOUTS SAW SOMETHING IN HIM IN THE ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE!

Well, they could still be right. I'm just a guy looking at numbers on baseballcube. I'd assume seeing him pitch in person & knowing something about baseball would put the scouts opinions ahead of mine. John Sickels has been pretty optimistic about Floyd as recently as last year. And 5 spring training innings is too soon to say that Floyd won't contribute to the Sox. I'm not optimistic, but it's not like he's been getting shelled so far (like Vazquez, Garland, and Contreras have...).

The offense has looked like poop on a stick at times this spring. We have scored 2 runs, one on a solo dong. Where is this going to right crap I hear out of our hitting coach. I hear it, and then I see everyone pulling the f***ing ball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Game over. Sox fall to 2-9.

On the postgame, Farmer and Singleton are raving about Danks and his breaking ball.

And trying to figure out why we only had 5 hits over 9 with the pitching they tossed out there today. We pretty much had the primo lineup today.