BP -- 'State of the Systems' 2007

Flash Tizzle

Here are the explanations given to various categories:

This year's State Of The Systems features some new categories, so before we get going, some explanation.

* 2007 Rookies: Simple enough: what first-year players will contribute in the big leagues this year.

* Minor League Road Trip: A common question I get via e-mail goes something like this: "I live in [minor league town], who should I look for?" For each team I'll identify two full-season affiliates that should have compelling squads. Keep in mind that this is a research-driven hypothesis, and that spring performances, injuries and organizational needs can mean certain players don't end up where expected.

* Pivotal Season: For this category, I'll identify one player who is at a crossroads in his young career.

* I Like Him Better Than Most/Don't Believe The Hype: Last year's selections have already been reviewed, and I think overall, I did pretty well here; they're always among the most popular, so they return.

* Pedroia/Clippard Award: Named after Red Sox infielder Dustin and Yankees right-hander Tyler, this is the player who fans of that team tend to overrate by going on statistics alone.

* Jackson/Griffin Award: In the interest of fairness, this award goes to the player who is the opposite. The tools are certainly there, but where is the performance? The award is named after two of the all-time tools busts in draft history: outfielder Jeff Jackson (Philles first round, 1989) and triple-digit flamethrower Colt Griffin (Royals first round, 2001).

* Get Your Bags Ready: When the trade deadline comes down, prospects are always part of the discussion. Who could be available? Who do teams want? Who's a likely candidate to be moved because he's blocked?

Now the assessment:

Chicago White Sox

* 2007 Rookies: It's a veteran team, and it's going to stay that way. Top prospects Ryan Sweeney and Josh Fields are blocked, with Brian Anderson likely getting the first shot at center field, though he will be on a short leash. For now, the team isn't moving Fields to the outfield, meaning both he and Sweeney will return to Triple-A. Knuckleballer Charlie Haeger seems a lock to make the team, and even has an outside chance at the fifth-starter job, though the team is still hoping for a miracle from Phillies flame-out Gavin Floyd. Acquired in the Brandon McCarthy trade, lefty John Danks is the team's top prospect, but would be best served by some more time in Triple-A, though he's definitely the long-term answer in the rotation. Also acquired from Texas, Nick Masset should stick in the bullpen; while his stats are uninspiring, his scouting reports are glowing, especially the ones on his short stints as a reliever.

* Minor League Road Trip: Assuming Fields and Sweeney fail to break camp with the team, Triple-A Charlotte is the place to see the future. What was a rotation loaded with minor-league veterans last year becomes prospect-laden with Danks and 2005 first-round pick Lance Broadway leading the way, possibly joined by the end of the year by 2006 first-rounder Kyle McCulloch and re-acquired lefty Gio Gonzalez.

* Pivotal Season: After a breakout campaign in 2005, everything fell apart for left-hander Ray Liotta last year: he found himself back in High-A with a composite 5.89 ERA in 28 games. At 24, it's now or never.

* I Like Him Better Than Most: Righty Oneli Perez began 2006 in Low-A, finished in Double-A and had an ERA under 1.00 at all three stops, finishing with an 0.81 mark in 77.2 innings while giving up just 46 hits and whiffing 91. He's an almost-sidearmer who could struggle against lefties, but with expanded pitching staffs in the minors, there's room for a ROOGY these days.

* Don't Believe The Hype: Pitching in Double-A as a 20-year-old, Gio Gonzalez struck out over a batter per inning, so there's some good stuff there. At the same time, he has major control issues, and his lanky, sub-six-foot frame leaves many wondering if he has the durability to start in the big leagues.

* Pedroia/Clippard Award: Broadway's 2.74 ERA last year is impressive, but Birmingham is a pitchers' park, his strikeout rate was mediocre, and so is his stuff.

* Jackson/Griffin Award: Right-hander Adam Russell has Jeff Juden's size (6-8, 250) and velocity (consistently sitting at 93-96 mph), and about as much success with it thanks to a lack of movement and an inability to find a consistent breaking ball.

* Get Your Bags Ready?: They're not moving Fields, and Joe Crede is locked in at third base until 2008. One of them is going to move on to a different organization eventually, maybe even by the trade deadline. If things are going well in the standings, Fields is their top trading chip, and Kenny Williams likes to deal.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....247de7665d13107

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 02:47 AM)
I personally hate baseballprospectus, and I thought that was a horriblt article.

How was that a horrible article? They do have their bit of arrogance that sometimes shows, but I didn't see it there. Really, that was as objective an 'article' -- although it's really not an article, more of a feature -- as you're going to find.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
How was that a horrible article? They do have their bit of arrogance that sometimes shows, but I didn't see it there. Really, that was as objective an 'article' -- although it's really not an article, more of a feature -- as you're going to find.

My hatred for BP is so deep that anything I read from them makes me eyes burn...

I don't understand why a guy with a "lack of movement and an inability to find a consistent breaking ball" is considered a guy with "tools (that) are certainly there, but (lacks) performance"

Seems to me he has neither tools nor performance. Just having the ability to throw 96 mph isn't "tools." Its a "tool." I guess.

Edited by max power

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't take anything these assholes write seriously anymore after how their 70-92 prediction for us worked out in 2005 (along with them saying we had maybe the worst winter in baseball in 2004-2005. Good call guys).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
Eye syphillis?

Watching Pods play has been know to cause it....

Edited by whitesoxfan101