Name your Surprise Move

beck72

As spring is nearing its midpoint, a few things are starting to shake out. And I see a few surprises that we could see before spring ends.

One is that Mackowiak could be dealt. I don't see him getting a lot of AB's, and not more than his 250 some ab's in 2006. Certainly not in the IF. Cintron backs up 3b, SS and 2b, and Ozuna will see time before Mack. And he hasn't played a lot of LF in his career. With Erstad playing well in LF, and some in CF, Mack won't see much time there either. And if Dye went down in RF, Sweeney would likely be called up to fill his spot anyway. A NL team could use his versatility, which was probably overblown anyway as he played for the Pirates.

Two, Danks takes the 5th spot. If he performs like he has, throwing strikes and getting outs, the other guys would be hard pressed to beat him. With some of the best AL Central hitters being left handed, Danks has an advantage there as well.

Third, a bullpen arm could be dealt, such as a Boone Logan or Aarsdma. Yet this would likely only happen if the sox could improve their 2007 lineup, which would be hard to do [the possible Rowand acquisition would be one of the few options that would qualify]. With Sisco looking like the 2007 version of Matt Thornton, he seems to have the 2nd lefty in the pen locked up. And Logan's value would never be higher after his very solid 2006 year in AAA. Aardsma may be the odd man out. If Danks takes the 5th spot, then Haeger or Floyd would likely take a bullpen job. Seeing how Aarsdma was acquired before the sox got Nick Masset, he may not have a spot in the sox pen.

Any other surprises that we could see? People winning roster spots, trades, etc?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 06:26 AM)
As spring is nearing its midpoint, a few things are starting to shake out. And I see a few surprises that we could see before spring ends.

One is that Mackowiak could be dealt. I don't see him getting a lot of AB's, and not more than his 250 some ab's in 2006. Certainly not in the IF. Cintron backs up 3b, SS and 2b, and Ozuna will see time before Mack. And he hasn't played a lot of LF in his career. With Erstad playing well in LF, and some in CF, Mack won't see much time there either. And if Dye went down in RF, Sweeney would likely be called up to fill his spot anyway. A NL team could use his versatility, which was probably overblown anyway as he played for the Pirates.

Two, Danks takes the 5th spot. If he performs like he has, throwing strikes and getting outs, the other guys would be hard pressed to beat him. With some of the best AL Central hitters being left handed, Danks has an advantage there as well.

Third, a bullpen arm could be dealt, such as a Boone Logan or Aarsdma. Yet this would likely only happen if the sox could improve their 2007 lineup, which would be hard to do [the possible Rowand acquisition would be one of the few options that would qualify]. With Sisco looking like the 2007 version of Matt Thornton, he seems to have the 2nd lefty in the pen locked up. And Logan's value would never be higher after his very solid 2006 year in AAA. Aardsma may be the odd man out. If Danks takes the 5th spot, then Haeger or Floyd would likely take a bullpen job. Seeing how Aarsdma was acquired before the sox got Nick Masset, he may not have a spot in the sox pen.

Any other surprises that we could see? People winning roster spots, trades, etc?

It better not be geting Rowand back.

I'm holding out hope for a CFer that can hit. I think KW will make a trade.

Bob

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Danks as the #5 and Josh Fields starts the year in the majors. Anderson is not hitting again and Fields can play LF, I am confident of that, but that means Erstad would be in center field, which would make our outfield D horrible. It will be interesting.

Has Fields played much LF this spring? I haven't noticed.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
Danks as the #5 and Josh Fields starts the year in the majors. Anderson is not hitting again and Fields can play LF, I am confident of that, but that means Erstad would be in center field, which would make our outfield D horrible. It will be interesting.

The OF in your scenario is actually worse than you're letting on. If Fields makes the team in Anderson's spot then who is the 4th OF? Who's going to fill in for Erstad when his first minor injury (out a week or less) pops up?

i know a lot of people are high on fields, i am too, but he needs another season in AAA, he can kill the ball but needs to work on his strikeouts, otherwise i believe you could see an anderson type year, jsut with more power, and he has so much potential that i would rather see him as a sept call up or on the team next year so he can get the experience

My Surprise Move: Kenny doesnt make any moves! :P

oh and pods comes back and dominates on the bases and at the plate

I don't believe Fields will be making the team out of ST. Ozzie won't let him sit on the bench when he can just as well get at bats down in Charlotte. Same with Sweeney and Owens. Wait for Erstad to get hurt for the first time, then one of them will come up.

Mack/Ozuna will be backups just like last year. BA and or Erstad will go to the bench when Pods is healthy.

As for my surprise move, Floyd will not make the #5 slot. It will go to....Danks. With Floyd going to AAA and Haeger winning the long relief role.

JMO

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
As for my surprise move, Floyd will not make the #5 slot. It will go to....Danks. With Floyd going to AAA and Haeger winning the long relief role.

JMO

That wouldn't surprise me a bit. I was never too high on Floyd.

Bob

Floyd ends up with the 5th starter spots because they decide Danks would be better served in AAA.

The bullpen consists of Jenks, MacD, Thornton, Sisco, Logan and one of Aardsma/Masset/Haeger.

Mackowiak gets dealt ... I have believed that would happen since Erstad was signed.

Call it a hunch, but I think BA will pick it up and make the team.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:01 AM)
Tejada will be here midseason.Pods will not play 50 games this year.Thome hits less than 30 hr's.
Ozzie will get his way and the defiant Anderson and the chicago native Mackowiak will also find a new residence. Eduardo perez will make the team Rogowski will play for a major league team this year. KW will get back more diamond in the rough pitchers in return.

I'll add another prediction, one of Cintron and Ozuna doesn't make the team and is traded for essentially anything. Mackowiak has a ton of value to the team with his multiple positions and bat off of the bench, and Perez is such a solid bat to have sub in for Thome on a semi-regular basis and perhaps even get in a little outfield (like 5-10 games at most), along with occasionally giving Konerko a day off too. Cintron is about the only thing the Sox have for a backup SS - aside from Crede and Dye of course - so that leads me to believe it could easily be Ozuna.

Just a feeling, and there are arguments for keeping him above even a Perez - namely the whole sparkplug factor and leadoff hitter against lefties - but I'm not sure how big of a factor that is.

The other move that could happen is Podsednik getting traded. Ozzie loves him more than Dergan, but he is seriously the outcast on this team right now. He just doesn't fit anywhere at all, and I hope his DL stint is extended well into May if he's going to remain on the team.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
I'll add another prediction, one of Cintron and Ozuna doesn't make the team and is traded for essentially anything. Mackowiak has a ton of value to the team with his multiple positions and bat off of the bench, and Perez is such a solid bat to have sub in for Thome on a semi-regular basis and perhaps even get in a little outfield (like 5-10 games at most), along with occasionally giving Konerko a day off too. Cintron is about the only thing the Sox have for a backup SS - aside from Crede and Dye of course - so that leads me to believe it could easily be Ozuna.

Just a feeling, and there are arguments for keeping him above even a Perez - namely the whole sparkplug factor and leadoff hitter against lefties - but I'm not sure how big of a factor that is.

The other move that could happen is Podsednik getting traded. Ozzie loves him more than Dergan, but he is seriously the outcast on this team right now. He just doesn't fit anywhere at all, and I hope his DL stint is extended well into May if he's going to remain on the team.

Mack's biggest value was his OF versatility. Yet with Erstad around to play LF and CF, IMO, MAck's not as needed as Cintron, who can play 3b, SS and 2b. Ozuna also gives the sox some versatility with his IF spots and LF, and his running and RH bat for LHP.

I could see Perez sticking around.

Pods should prove he's healthy for some teams and get something of value. Yet Pods will be given a chance to help the sox before or if he's dealt.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
Actually , I just read a story in the Tribune that suggests some kind of package to the Phillies for Rowand and Lieber.

One package was a bullpen arm, Mack and somebody else. The other involved either Crede or Fields.

It was Crede. We were talking about it on the gamethread. Supposedly the arm would had been eigher Logan or MMac but don't quote me on that one. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...57258&st=15