Name your Surprise Move

beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)
Mack's biggest value was his OF versatility. Yet with Erstad around to play LF and CF, IMO, MAck's not as needed as Cintron, who can play 3b, SS and 2b. Ozuna also gives the sox some versatility with his IF spots and LF, and his running and RH bat for LHP.

I could see Perez sticking around.

Pods should prove he's healthy for some teams and get something of value. Yet Pods will be given a chance to help the sox before or if he's dealt.

What good is Erstad as an insurance policy in LF and CF if he's starting/DLing? I think both of those scenarios are far, far more likely at this point in time than is him being a 4th OFer for the Sox.

And besides that, the Sox still wouldn't have a 4th OFer on the roster, unless you count Ozuna, and I don't. He's merely a guy who can catch vacate LF and catch flyballs on an occasional basis. Mackowiak is a good corner OFer.

The only huge problem that arises in my scenario - if Pods isn't dealt (and I doubt there's any chance of it) or out till mid-May to guarantee 100% health - is that the Sox are lacking an Ozzie style leadoff hitter. What I'd do is simply have either Hall or Perez (who plays the Ozuna role in LF or lets Thome take a breather) in the 2 hole with the other hitting behind Crede. If Perez is in LF, the lineup is easy to make out...Iguchi-Hall/Perez-Dye-Thome-Konerko-Crede-Perez/Hall-Uribe-Anderson. If Perez is DHing, there's a little bit of leeway as to who is seeing the ball better against LHP; regardless of whether it's Mackowiak or Erstad, the lineup is essentially the same (with everyone starting with Konerko moving up a spot) with Mackowiak or Erstad hitting 9th. Each scenario provides their pros and cons of course - with Thome in the lineup, the offense is more potent with a weaker defense, and with Mackowiak/Erstad in the lineup, the defense is stronger with the offense weaker. Of course, I've rabbled on for far too long because there's no chance Ozzie would ever consider such a lineup.

I just don't see what Ozuna brings other than a leadoff hitter versus righties, a bit of a spark, and a little speed. It's nice to have off the bench if you have the room, but I just think he should be the 26th man/15th hitter looking in right now. Everywhere he can play defensively, the Sox have someone slightly better, and if it were to mean Iguchi has to lead off, that's what it would have to mean.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
Sox hire Jason Gage away from a large CPA firm to be the asst. general manager. In the press conference, Gage says he swears he won't "Gage" the Sox.

Soxtalk.com crashes with all of the death threats overwealming the PM system if their favorite players are traded...

My surprise move is that Mark Prior leaves Arizona as the fifth starter for Chicago... The White Sox. :ph34r:

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
A. trade for Sandy Alomar.

B. trade for Griffey Je.

C. trade for ARod

Actually , I just read a story in the Tribune that suggests some kind of package to the Phillies for Rowand and Lieber.

One package was a bullpen arm, Mack and somebody else. The other involved either Crede or Fields.

Iexcel at multiple choice the answer is C, ARod. That would mean that we could unload a few utility players. We would have to make choices of who we were to trade or get rid of: Cintron, Ozuna, Mackowiak, Uribe. we would only need one player that could play second short or third. I would say fielding wise that would be Uribe hitting wise Cintron. What the Yankees would want in return I would say, Crede. Josh Fields would become our regular third baseman. Fields replacing Crede's salary would not totally take care of the salary difference but if we threw in a top starting prospect the yankees might agree to part with some cash perhaps the sum they receive from the Rangers. I would guarantee if we got ARod the cell would we sold out every game! ARod is like a draw like Thome people will come just to see him play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bringit

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
Soxtalk.com crashes with all of the death threats overwealming the PM system if their favorite players are traded...

My surprise move is that Mark Prior leaves Arizona as the fifth starter for Chicago... The White Sox. :ph34r:

White Sox then forfeits five games due to "PHP error."

Surprise move: Pods traded as soon as hes healthy enough.