Toby Hall = WRONG

The Critic

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox11.article

In this article, Hall admits that he tried to get rid of Sammy's corked bat before the umps could see it, and that this was somehow "protecting the game".

WRONG, Toby. Protecting the game means EXPOSING frauds and cheaters when you see it happen in front of you.

I wonder if Toby thinks the steroid freaks are good for the game? They're giving the game a "black eye" Toby doesn't seem to think it needs, too, aren't they?

Yikes.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's wrong from our perspective. It's not to most players. Same with steroids.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Here is my opinion.

Most players, if not all, find it wrong to do steroids or cork your bat and things of that nature.

Most players, if not all, find it wrong to purposely rat someone out for doing steroids or using a corked bat and such.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
I meant that most players don't rat each other out in situations like that because they think it's bad for the game, b, and they do things of the sort themselves, a.

I'd be way more likely to believe option (a) - "I won't 'rat you out' if you don't rat me out".

But even so, the Sosa case was different - no one was ratting anyone out. His bat broke, the evidence was right there. To try to hide the bat from the umpires was asinine, and doesn't serve "the way the game has been played for years" in any way, shape or form.

I guess Hall's more comfortable with people thinking all athletes cheat, or at the very least having suspicions about most of them.

He's obviously free to believe whatever he wants. I just think his opinion on this matter is wrong.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Well I do too, but it's always been that way, from Ball Four to Barry Bonds.

And it's always easier to fall in line than it is to stand up against something, especially if a lot of your peers are in on it.

I guess my problem is his attempt to make it sound like he's The Protector Of The Game, when all I think he is is an accomplice.

Hall sounds llike he's trying to make himself out to be some kind of a hero. As if in that millisecond he was thinking about the history of the game and saving the game from a black eye. Puh-leez, it just sounds like he panicked, didn't know what to do and threw part of the bat away. The fricking bat shattered and cork went flying everywhere. Sammy woulda been busted no matter what Hall did or didn't do.