The West Bracket (San Jose)

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
I am just hoping SIU was "that game" that causes a team to wake up and see the finish line. I still have not taken a breath yet from last night, any drink recommendations to wake me up.

yoo-hoo does the trick for me. And last night's game makes me think you guys are in trouble against UCLA, they play almost as well as SIU does on defense, and their guards won't miss all those looks from deep. However after seeing the rest of this tourney, the UCLA/Kansas winner is, to me, the favorite to win it all.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
If you would have told me yesterday that SIU was going to hold Rush to 12 points and Wright to 7 points, and lose the game, I would have said you were nuts.

Like I said (and was right for once), the SIU defense would be fine, but the reason they'd lose was the Kansas defense (although SIU got more good looks than I was anticipating). Now it was closer than I thought, but SIU simply couldn't buy a hoop. The amazing part is that they were outshot 59 percent to 34, only tied Kansas at 10 in FT points, and still only lost by 3. KU must have had 20 turnovers last night, and it seemed like all of SIU's points came off of them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
yoo-hoo does the trick for me. And last night's game makes me think you guys are in trouble against UCLA, they play almost as well as SIU does on defense, and their guards won't miss all those looks from deep. However after seeing the rest of this tourney, the UCLA/Kansas winner is, to me, the favorite to win it all.

Like I said (and was right for once), the SIU defense would be fine, but the reason they'd lose was the Kansas defense (although SIU got more good looks than I was anticipating). Now it was closer than I thought, but SIU simply couldn't buy a hoop. The amazing part is that they were outshot 59 percent to 34, only tied Kansas at 10 in FT points, and still only lost by 3. KU must have had 20 turnovers last night, and it seemed like all of SIU's points came off of them.

SIU has 22 pts off turnovers, KU looked like they were playing Bradley and Bucknell, i had that queezy midmajor loss feeling again. I for one am very happy we got this far, why not push it further.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
SIU has 22 pts off turnovers, KU looked like they were playing Bradley and Bucknell, i had that queezy midmajor loss feeling again. I for one am very happy we got this far, why not push it further.

I'll def agree with that first sentence. But don't be satisfied with a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, youre a Jayhawk fan.

Softer KU teams would have certainly lost last night, but they took really smart shots and that kept them going through the turnovers and missed free throws. SIU defense and chemistry was incredible, and I'll have to agree w/ Jimbo thats about the most intense 40 minutes of hell I've ever seen a Jayhawk team face. I figured the Hawks would need at least 60 to put themselves in good shape to win, and the amazing shooting percentage barley got them there. SIU is a GREAT team, and had they faced another top seed such as Ohio State, Memphis, maybe even a Carolina, I'd bet they'd still be dancing. But I believe this Jayhawk team really is different. U gotta be pretty strong mentally to get through what they did last night. ROCK CHALK.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
They may not have all the size in the world, but I am convinced that SIU is the best defense I've seen all year. Mata can bring whatever kind of pressure he wants tomorrow.

Kansas favored by 2.

Agreed, i could care less if we are favored, we have to basically win a road game. We need Julian Wright to go into what he calls "beast mode"

Yeah you guys got a much tougher draw than I thought, the best defense team in the nation followed by what is IMO the 2nd best defensive team in the nation on the road, hence me saying I think the UCLA/KU winner is the clear favorite in this whole tourney, even though I got Ohio State and their magic wand of comeback luck winning in my bracket.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
Yeah you guys got a much tougher draw than I thought, the best defense team in the nation followed by what is IMO the 2nd best defensive team in the nation on the road, hence me saying I think the UCLA/KU winner is the clear favorite in this whole tourney, even though I got Ohio State and their magic wand of comeback luck winning in my bracket.

you sure have alot of opinions. haha

I'm still too depressed to comment on last nights game. For now, I'm just going to say: We need to extend Chris(duh), if we do so, then this program is only going to keep improving, if we dont...then I don't want to think about what happens.

Also, I'm hoping Jamaal gets a shot in the NBA. He's a plus defender, he's quick as all hell and when he wants to, he can score at any time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Also, I'm hoping Jamaal gets a shot in the NBA. He's a plus defender, he's quick as all hell and when he wants to, he can score at any time.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody took a flier on him in the 2nd round, seems like thie kid has great upside.

Edited by watchtower41

This Kansas-UCLA game is a great one. If Kansas could hit shots within 3 feet of the basket, they would be well ahead right now. I can't recall seeing a team miss so many short shots. I know they are contested, but they are missing shots they normally make and should make.

That Collison three was just not fair!!!

Doesn't look good for the Jayhawks

32 steals???!!?? KU just wasnt in sync. They had two great defenses thrown at them in 3 nights, I dont blame them for being out of sorts. However, those missed free throws vs SIU were scary, but vs UCLA they were fatal.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Kansas loses, as predicted. I mean, really, how could anyone pick a Bill Self team to go to the final 4?

I have no idea.

Also the Pac-10 is making a great case for the top conf in the country. Oregon, USC, UCLA, wow.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
That's because it was the best league all year, but nobody would admit it since the games are played too late at night *rolls eyes*.

Well hell, I want to go to sleep before midnight some nights :P

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
Bison-Braves-Bruins. The streak continues.

haha i just noticed that, so the key is not the college name, but the nickname.

oh well, we looked crappy...go white sox, its been a fun year of banter with you guys, look forward to next year.