NY Times calls for Attorney General's dismissal.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
See, now that's fairly interesting, because IIRC, if I go back a couple of pages in this thread, I recall that CREW filed a complaint against the White House because it's in some way illegal for people within the White House to be using outside email addresses to conduct White House business because it circumvents disclosure requirements.

They should all just totally register with SoxTalk and talk about stuff here in a "White House Only" thread.

I promise i wouldn't peak. :unsure:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
Starting?! Where have you been for the last 5 or 6 years???

I guess because I personally like the guy. Of the living Presidents, he'd be my second favorite to sit down with and chat. I find him waaaay more likable than Clinton. I believe he has the highest spread between top moment 9/11, and lowest moments 2005, 2006, 2007 . . .

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
I don't see how anybody can like George W. Bush. Must be a, "He's from Texas," thing.

Perhaps. I know I'd rather have Laura and Dubya watch my kids for a weekend than the Clintons. That's a nice barometer I believe. I believe he is a far better personal role model than President Clinton.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Perhaps. I know I'd rather have Laura and Dubya watch my kids for a weekend than the Clintons. That's a nice barometer I believe. I believe he is a far better personal role model than President Clinton.

If my kids saw either Bill Clinton or Dubya as a personal role model, I'd be having a long talk with my kids.

Which, by the way, is a sad, sad statement of politics today.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
If my kids saw either Bill Clinton or Dubya as a personal role model, I'd be having a long talk with my kids.

Which, by the way, is a sad, sad statement of politics today.

Probably, it is also a by product of media access and willingness to report everything. I do not believe, even for a minute, that our leaders today are any worse, or better, than generations ago. But, beginning with Nixon and Watergate, our Press has taken a more vigilant role in reporting and we now see all of our heroes in all their glory and all their warts. Still, I would prefer my kids look to Jimmy Carter for inspiration before any of the other living Presidents. The work that the Carter Foundation has done the past few decades is amazing.

Remember when I said that impeachment most often comes from a death by 1000 paper cuts?

Look, who's talking impeachment now? Not Kirstie Alley or John Travolta. But Chuck Hagel. A GOP Senator.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070325/ap_on_...S._mCfnwP.MwfIE

"Any president who says, I don't care, or I will not respond to what the people of this country are saying about Iraq or anything else, or I don't care what the Congress does, I am going to proceed — if a president really believes that, then there are — what I was pointing out, there are ways to deal with that," said Hagel, who is considering a 2008 presidential run.....

On Sunday, Hagel said he was bothered by Bush's apparent disregard of congressional sentiment on Iraq, such as his decision to send additional troops. He said lawmakers now stood ready to stand up to the president when necessary.

In the April edition of Esquire magazine, Hagel described Bush as someone who doesn't believe he's accountable to anyone. "He's not accountable anymore, which isn't totally true. You can impeach him, and before this is over, you might see calls for his impeachment. I don't know. It depends on how this goes," Hagel told the magazine.

Two thoughts for the price of one post.

Impeachment would be a terrible thing and I have not seen enough to warrant impeachment.

As soon as I read

Hagel, who is considering a 2008 presidential run.....
my Spidey senses pop up and I start to weigh these comments against what votes is he trying to pick up, if any.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:52 AM)
Two thoughts for the price of one post.

Impeachment would be a terrible thing and I have not seen enough to warrant impeachment.

As soon as I read my Spidey senses pop up and I start to weigh these comments against what votes is he trying to pick up, if any.

This may indeed be about his Presidential positioning. But I still agree with him. Bush thinks he is a king, and Congress is only an inconvenience for him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
This may indeed be about his Presidential positioning. But I still agree with him. Bush thinks he is a king, and Congress is only an inconvenience for him.

I believe every President has felt that way, most have been better at hiding it (Clinton) or just giving them money (Reagan). It's part of the balance and works pretty damn good.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
I believe every President has felt that way, most have been better at hiding it (Clinton) or just giving them money (Reagan). It's part of the balance and works pretty damn good.

I don't think so. There is a difference between wanting your way all the time (which yes, every Prez does), and actually thinking of yourself as being above the process. Clinton worked the process really well, and got a lot out of Congress by playing the game. Bush just ignores them, and the Supreme Court, and anyone else in his way. There is an important difference there.

Still, I believe our system fixes itself if we let it work. I think an impeachment trial would be a huge mistake and I frankly haven't seen enough that I would pin personally on Bush.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
Still, I believe our system fixes itself if we let it work. I think an impeachment trial would be a huge mistake and I frankly haven't seen enough that I would pin personally on Bush.

I agree the system does work, almost all the time. And we've seen that with Bush. He has rejected any hint of concensus-building or cooperation, in favor of absolutism (which, unfortunately, is in vogue right now). The consequence is that he was able to get very little done from his agenda the last 2 Congresses, and now he is being threatened with taking away the checkbook.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:14 AM)

What about an impeachment trial of only Gonzalez? He's clearly the one who went out on a limb and lied to Congress...the Congress has enough on him to push for one based on his previous testimony and how many documents totally contradict it, and Congress is fully within it's rights to push for an impeachment of the AG.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
What about an impeachment trial of only Gonzalez? He's clearly the one who went out on a limb and lied to Congress...the Congress has enough on him to push for one based on his previous testimony and how many documents totally contradict it, and Congress is fully within it's rights to push for an impeachment of the AG.

I think that there is clearly enough evidence that he knowingly gave false sworn testimony now to warrant impeachment proceedings for AG.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
:pray

This administration's track record with accountability says otherwise, though.

Ahh yes, it's always about George W. Bush and his accountibilty. /rolly

They are all a bunch of scumsucking power tripping eogtisitcal maniacs without a friggin' clue on both sides of the aisle.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
So what record on impeachments can one be referring too?

So now you would have the best of both worlds . . .

If the Dems start impeachment proceedings, you can say they are no better than the GOP when they went after Clinton. Call them hypocrites, etc.

If the Dems don't, then you can call Bush's terms as more ethical or whatever you want because no one was impeached.

Nice. I'm not guessing if that bird in your hand is dead or alive.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
How many impeachment trials has the Bush admin had?

I'm talking about holding someone accountable WITHOUT having to go to an impeachment trial.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
Ahh yes, it's always about George W. Bush and his accountibilty. /rolly

George Tenet and his medal of freedom after completely botching the Iraq intelligence. /rolly