25 man roster? Is Anderson out??

scenario

Who's in? Who's out?

Here's what Trib writer Mark Gonzalez thinks...

21 Locks

• 4 STARTING PITCHERS: Jose Contreras; Jon Garland; Mark Buehrle; Javier Vazquez;

• 4 RELIEF PITCHERS: Bobby Jenks; Matt Thornton; Mike MacDougal; Andrew Sisco;

• 2 CATCHERS: A.J. Pierzynski; Toby Hall

• 7 INFIELDERS: Tadahito Iguchi; Paul Konerko; Jim Thome; Juan Uribe; Alex Cintron; Joe Crede; Pablo Ozuna

• 4 OUTFIELDERS: Jermaine Dye; Darin Erstad; Rob Mackowiak; Scott Podsednik*

So... 4 remaining slots. Two be filled by relief pitchers; one by a 5th starter; and one 'other' either a 12th pitcher or another position player.

Here are Gonzalez's remaining suggestions:

Strong shots

• PITCHER: Nick Masset

• INFIELDER: Eduardo Perez

• OUTFIELDER: Brian Anderson

On the fence

• PITCHERS: David Aardsma; John Danks; Gavin Floyd; Charlie Haeger; Boone Logan

• OUTFIELDER: Ryan Sweeney

If we go with an 11 man staff, that brings us to 24 players. Does this mean that EITHER Eduardo Perez or Brian Anderson comes north? Are those two guys competing for a spot??

Gonzalez's Long shots

• PITCHERS: Lance Broadway; Gio Gonzalez; Sean Tracey

• INFIELDER: Junior Spivey

• OUTFIELDERS: Jerry Owens; Luis Terrero

*--Could start season on disabled list

Edited by scenario

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 STARTING PITCHERS: Jose Contreras; Jon Garland; Mark Buehrle; Javier Vazquez;

• 4 RELIEF PITCHERS: Bobby Jenks; Matt Thornton; Mike MacDougal; Andrew Sisco;

• 2 CATCHERS: A.J. Pierzynski; Toby Hall

• 7 INFIELDERS: Tadahito Iguchi; Paul Konerko; Jim Thome; Juan Uribe; Alex Cintron; Joe Crede; Pablo Ozuna

• 4 OUTFIELDERS: Jermaine Dye; Darin Erstad; Rob Mackowiak; Scott Podsednik*

Bad bad bad.

Sisco should be starting in AAA. Aardsma should be there, with Logan as the other lefty.

Podsednik should be on the DL.

Perez should be on the team; Anderson too.

It is Anderson, Podsednik, Fields, Sweeney, Terrero, and Perez in the mix for the final two roster spots.

They have already said it will be an 11 man pitching staff. So for the bullpen, they basically have two positions available to Aardsma, Masset, Haeger, and Logan. Logan seems to have the edge as a Lefty and with his performance so far. That leaves one spot for Aardsma, Masset, and Haeger.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
It is Anderson, Podsednik, Fields, Sweeney, Terrero, and Perez in the mix for the final two roster spots.

They have already said it will be an 11 man pitching staff. So for the bullpen, they basically have two positions available to Aardsma, Masset, Haeger, and Logan. Logan seems to have the edge as a Lefty and with his performance so far. That leaves one spot for Aardsma, Masset, and Haeger.

if we have an 11 man pitching staff i doubt we carry 3 lefties

I think this will be the opening day roster...

SP: Contreras; Garland; Buehrle; Vazquez; Floyd/Danks

RP: Jenks; Thornton; MacDougal; Aardsma; Sisco; Masset/Haeger

C: Pierzynski; Hall

INF: Konerko; Thome; Iguchi; Crede; Uribe; Cintron

OF: Dye; Erstad; Anderson; Terrero

UTL: Mackowaik; Ozuna

DL: Podsednik

Side Notes:

1. Sweeney, Anderson or Owens only make the team if they start in LF or CF, and with the way ST has gone so far, it looks like Andserson and Erstad will be the starting OF's, meaning Terrero would be the 4th OF since Ozzie wants Owens and Sweeney to play regularly in ST.

2. Perez can't play CF, and Ozzie already said Mackowaik wouldn't play CF, and Erstad can't go everyday. And he is probably worse then Podsednik in LF, so I don't see that happening. The only way Perez makes the team is if Mackowaik is traded.

3. It would be stupid to have 3 lefties in a 6-man bullpen, IMO, but could easily happen. Aardsma has pitched well and has more MLB experience then Masset, Haeger, and Logan, so I think he is a lock. Some say Haeger would be better served as the LRP, but Sisco and Masset could cover that role as well. It will be between Masset and Haeger, IMO.

4. The 5th Starter race has narrowed down a bit, with Danks steadily impressing everyone. It seems KW is very confident in Floyd. Haeger still has a shot, but it seems unlikely now. Right now I'd say it is a toss up between Floyd and Danks.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Pitched well in Spring? Because that would be false. I am high on Aardsma after seeing some of his innings from last season, but he is no where near the lock I thought he was going to be at the start of Spring.

He's had only one bad outing so far. He hasn't pitched great, but he hasn't pitched bad. He has pitched well.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
I think this will be the opening day roster...

SP: Contreras; Garland; Buehrle; Vazquez; Floyd/Danks

RP: Jenks; Thornton; MacDougal; Aardsma; Sisco; Masset/Haeger

C: Pierzynski; Hall

INF: Konerko; Thome; Iguchi; Crede; Uribe; Cintron

OF: Dye; Erstad; Anderson; Terrero

UTL: Mackowaik; Ozuna

DL: Podsednik

Side Notes:

1. Sweeney, Anderson or Owens only make the team if they start in LF or CF, and with the way ST has gone so far, it looks like Andserson and Erstad will be the starting OF's, meain Terrero would be the 4th OF since Ozzie wants Owens and Sweeney to play regularly in ST.

2. Perez can't play CF, and Ozzie already said Mackowaik wouldn't play CF, and Erstad can't go everyday. And he is probably worse then Podsednik in LF, so I don't see that happening. The only way Perez makes the team is if Mackowaik is traded.

3. It would be stupid to have 3 lefties in a 6-man bullpen, IMO, but could easily happen. Aardsma has pitched well and has more MLB experience then Masset, Haeger, and Logan, so I think he is a lock. Some say Haeger would be better served as the LRP, but Sisco and Masset could cover that role as well.

It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to have Terrero, Erstad and Anderson all on the roster at the same time. You could carry Anderson, Erstad and Perez just fine. Any time you want to give Anderson a day off (like every other day) Erstad can slide over the CF and Perez/Mackowiak can take over in LF. Any time you'd like to give Erstad rest Anderson would stay in CF and Mack/Perez could start in LF.

There's no reason to both Anderson and Erstad out of the lineup at the same time if they're both starters, there's ample LF help so there should never be a problem getting everyone rest. Luis Terrero serves absolutely NO purpose offensively so instead of wasting a roster spot just so Ozzie can bench Anderson as often as he pleases and replace him with a hitter who is actually worse than BA, the Sox could carry a valuable bat and just do a little juggling whenever someone in the OF needs a day off or has a small injury.

I know this may be a little much for Ozzie to handle but I have confidence that maybe Joey Cora or someone can help him fill out the lineup card in case he gets confused.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Pitched well in Spring? Because that would be false. I am high on Aardsma after seeing some of his innings from last season, but he is no where near the lock I thought he was going to be at the start of Spring.

From what I've seen and heard of him this spring he's certainly been less than impressive. He's mainly throwing 1 pitch (his fastball) and he's throwing it straight and with NO accuracy. He hasn't shown a secondary pitch thus far and until he shows that he can throw some sort of offspeed pitch for a strike, I refuse to even count him as a possibility out of the pen to start the year.

Out of the clusterf*** of pitchers who threw yesterday in the 2 games Aardsma was not one of them. Hopefully if he throws today he'll show a little improvement and confidence in his secondary pitches.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
How the hell does Anderson not make the 25-man roster?

If Luis Terrero is taken over him in order to get BA 'consistent ABs in AAA' because he's just not good enough to make the team out of Spring Training.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
That sparkling 7.36 ERA isn't going to help him win a spot.

He really has not be able to keep the ball down, at all.

ERA's are overrated when you have only pitched 3 innings.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to have Terrero, Erstad and Anderson all on the roster at the same time. You could carry Anderson, Erstad and Perez just fine. Any time you want to give Anderson a day off (like every other day) Erstad can slide over the CF and Perez/Mackowiak can take over in LF. Any time you'd like to give Erstad rest Anderson would stay in CF and Mack/Perez could start in LF.

There's no reason to both Anderson and Erstad out of the lineup at the same time if they're both starters, there's ample LF help so there should never be a problem getting everyone rest. Luis Terrero serves absolutely NO purpose offensively so instead of wasting a roster spot just so Ozzie can bench Anderson as often as he pleases and replace him with a hitter who is actually worse than BA, the Sox could carry a valuable bat and just do a little juggling whenever someone in the OF needs a day off or has a small injury.

I know this may be a little much for Ozzie to handle but I have confidence that maybe Joey Cora or someone can help him fill out the lineup card in case he gets confused.

I am trying to look at it from Ozzie's and KW's point of view, and make it look as realistic as possible. There is a reason they signed Terrero first thing when free agency opened up. Obviously they have some sort of plan for him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Luis Terrero is taken over him in order to get BA 'consistent ABs in AAA' because he's just not good enough to make the team out of Spring Training.

I admit I don't know much about some of these prospects, so I'm wondering how exactly these candidates compare to Anderson, because my only question regarding Anderson in terms of making the spot is how his defense is. I don't see how Brian shouldn't make it (just based on what I know).

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
ERA's are overrated when you have only pitched 3 innings.

I am trying to look at it from Ozzie's and KW's point of view, and make it look as realistic as possible. There is a reason they signed Terrero first thing when free agency opened up. Obviously they have some sort of plan for him.

Well the 2 most realistic (and I hope the only 2) reasons they picked him up are, he was once a pretty nice prospect for the Diamondbacks, compared to the likes of Vlad Guerrero and since he's only 25 years old, why not take a shot at him and see if you can find a bargain player who down the road could produce for you after proving himself at the AAA level on your ballclub. And secondly that he'd provide a little depth within the organization at the CF position, as of last season the Sox only had 1 CF at the top two levels (Anderson) which is pretty sad from a depth point of view. I don't see why they'd sign a failed minor leaguer with the idea of having him make the team out of spring training, especially someone as abysmally bad as Luis Terrero.

Oh yeah and he's Hispanic which never hurts you within the White Sox organization.

Regarding Eduardo Perez...

Usually teams don't sign a 37 year old to send him to the minors. Plus he smacks lefties around like they owe him money; He has a very good BA against lefties in the Central (which is loaded with lefties); and he would be the only right-handed power on our bench.

So... I think he's in.

Then it's a numbers game. If Perez is in, who's out?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)

Usually teams don't sign a 37 year old to send him to the minors. Plus he smacks lefties around like they owe him money. And he has a very good BA against lefties in the Central (which is loaded with lefties).

So... I think he's in.

he was a non-roster invitee, and non-roster invitees are brought in to bring a little comptetion, and possibly signed to a minor league contract to provide depth in the minors. Like Redding last year.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)

Usually teams don't sign a 37 year old to send him to the minors. Plus he smacks lefties around like they owe him money. And he has a very good BA against lefties in the Central (which is loaded with lefties).

So... I think he's in.

It all depends on if Podsendik starts the season on the DL or not. If he does then I think there's a pretty good chance we see Erstad, Anderson and Perez make the team which is probably the absolute best way to go right now. Of course of Pods is healthy to start the year then Perez could be s*** out of luck with the requirement to carry someone who can actually play CF outside of Erstad which would likely be Terrero.

So a hurt Pods = Anderson, Erstad, Perez

And Healthy Pods = Pods, Erstad, Terrero

Just my opinion but I'd say these are the 2 most likely scenarios.

I think Kenny ends up making a move - like trading Mackowiak. I like Mac, but he's redundant as both an infielder and outfielder. Ozuna can play his infield positions. Erstad or Perez can play first. Perez can play corner outfield. Mac's like an extra spare tire.

Perez provides more to the team at this point, as right-handed power hitting bench depth. IMO

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
I think Kenny ends up making a move - like trading Mackowiak. I like Mac, but he's redundant as both an infielder and outfielder. Ozuna can play his infield positions. Erstad or Perez can play first. Perez can play corner outfield. Mac's like an extra spare tire.

Perez provides more to the team at this point, as right-handed power hitting bench depth. IMO

I strongly disagree. Mackowaik is one of the best bench guys in all of baseball, and his versitility makes this team that much better. Also, he is a top pinch hitter. He came through big time a couple times last season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
I strongly disagree. Mackowaik is one of the best bench guys in all of baseball, and his versitility makes this team that much better. Also, he is a top pinch hitter. He came through big time a couple times last season.

Mack's history, I believe. With Pods and Erstad, we really don't have a need for anothe LH hitting OF.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

Perez can play the corner OF in the same sense that Paul Konerko can play CF.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
Mack isn't only a OF. He is a 3B, 2B, and would likely be the back-up 1B in place of Gload.

Uribe can play 3B in pinch, with Cintron filling in at SS. Ozuna can also play 2B and 3B. If Crede is DL'ed, we call up Fields. Behind Konerko there's Hall, Thome, and possibly Perez. Mack's useless to us now.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Uribe can play 3B in pinch, with Cintron filling in at SS. Ozuna can also play 2B and 3B. If Crede is DL'ed, we call up Fields. Behind Konerko there's Hall, Thome, and possibly Perez. Mack's useless to us now.

What about having just a real good, versatile bat off the bench especially when there's no pressing need to move him to open up a spot? Not everyone has to fit into a specific spot defensively, it's nice to have a guy who can do all the things Mack can on your bench even if he's not serving as a backup to a specific position. Besides, there's no one on this team I would rather have backing up Dye than Mackowiak. Or maybe I just think it's valuable to have a guy with his outstanding batting eye at Ozzie's disposal, no one else who's going to make this team as a bench player can do all the things Mack can, especially take a walk.