25 man roster? Is Anderson out??

scenario

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
What about having just a real good, versatile bat off the bench especially when there's no pressing need to move him to open up a spot? Not everyone has to fit into a specific spot defensively, it's nice to have a guy who can do all the things Mack can on your bench even if he's not serving as a backup to a specific position. Besides, there's no one on this team I would rather have backing up Dye than Mackowiak. Or maybe I just think it's valuable to have a guy with his outstanding batting eye at Ozzie's disposal, no one else who's going to make this team as a bench player can do all the things Mack can, especially take a walk.

I just don't think Mack "fits" well with this team. I expect him to be traded. I don't have any problem with keeping him, but I believe he'll be shipped out.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Do you mean in the sense that he'd be a starter anywhere else?

Not necessarily. In fact, it doesn't matter whether he'd start elsewhere. I just don't see Mack having a spot on the Sox and feel he'll be moved.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
Not necessarily. In fact, it doesn't matter whether he'd start elsewhere. I just don't see Mack having a spot on the Sox and feel he'll be moved.

The best way to make absolutely certain that Rob Mackowiak never plays CF for the Chicago White Sox again is for Rob Mackowiak to never play for the Chicago White Sox again.

He's a nice tool to have around...but good lord, every time I see his name in the lineup, after last season, I'll be swearing to myself, even if it wasn't his fault.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I didn't think it was possible, but if Anderson doesn't make the big league team, the Vazquez trade gets even worse.

Unless Vazquez becomes a stud this season, and Young becomes a dud... which, IMO, will happen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
The best way to make absolutely certain that Rob Mackowiak never plays CF for the Chicago White Sox again is for Rob Mackowiak to never play for the Chicago White Sox again.

He's a nice tool to have around...but good lord, every time I see his name in the lineup, after last season, I'll be swearing to myself, even if it wasn't his fault.

If you hold what happened last year against Mackowiak then Ozzie wins.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I will likely be wrong though.

Yup. Young is better and more valuable than any prospect in our organization.

The redundant roster player remains the only guy who hasn't played a game yet, Scotty Pods. Mackowiak would make a nice stop-gap second baseman if Iguchi was hurt. Podsednik plays one position, doesn't play it well, and he can't hit. Useless I tell ya, useless.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Yup. Young is better and more valuable than any prospect in our organization.

Something in my gut just tells me Young isn't going to be this 30-30 guy everyone is claiming he will be. I don't know. The sig says it all. But I will likely be wrong, I usually am.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)

No offense, but that is the dumbest reason to get rid of a player I've ever seen.

I'm listening to the Sox - Seattle game right now (in the middle of their 8-run 7th inning).

Singleton just asked Farmer, "If spring training ended today, would Eduardo Perez make the team?"

Farmer's response? "Definitely."

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
I'm listening to the Sox - Seattle game right now (in the middle of their 8-run 7th inning).

Singleton just asked Farmer, "If spring training ended today, would Eduardo Perez make the team."

Farmer's response? "Definitely."

Well if the season started today, Podsednik would be on the DL so yeah, there would be a spot. Things tend to change over the course of 2 weeks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
Well if the season started today, Podsednik would be on the DL so yeah, there would be a spot. Things tend to change over the course of 2 weeks.

I think it has something to do with the fact that he's hitting .500 so far and tearing the cover off the ball.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
I think it has something to do with the fact that he's hitting .500 so far and tearing the cover off the ball.

Even if he hit 1.000 going 60-60 with 60 HRs there still wouldn't be room for him on the roster (realistically) if Podsednik is healthy.

We'll see.

I still think they brought him in so we have right-handed power to counteract all the lefties in the Central.

Which goes back to the original point of the thread... If he's in? Who's out?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if he hit 1.000 going 60-60 with 60 HRs there still wouldn't be room for him on the roster (realistically) if Podsednik is healthy.

If someone hit's 60 HR's in 60 at bats in ST, I'm pretty sure thats good enough to get you on the lub, REALISTICALLY, that wouldn't happen.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
If someone hit's 60 HR's in 60 at bats in ST, I'm pretty sure thats good enough to get you on the lub, REALISTICALLY, that wouldn't happen.

It has nothing to do with being good enough. That's what I was trying to get across but apparently I didn't make I didn't make it clear enough. Eduardo could tear the cover off the ball in every game he plays this Spring but there just isn't a spot for him on the roster if Podsednik is healthy, unless of course defense means absolutely nothing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
It has nothing to do with being good enough. That's what I was trying to get across but apparently I didn't make I didn't make it clear enough. Eduardo could tear the cover off the ball in every game he plays this Spring but there just isn't a spot for him on the roster if Podsednik is healthy, unless of course defense means absolutely nothing.

Pablo did play in CF yesterday.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)

So... our defense would suffer if they kept Perez and moved Mackowiak before the season?? I'm not sure we're talking about the same player then.

Mack is a DISASTER in the outfield. Not just center. He gets bad jumps on the ball and he can't judge routes. He's looked as brutal in the corners this spring as he did in center last year. He makes Alphonso Soriano look like a Gold Glover and that's saying something.

In the infield? He's not the first backup option at ANY position. Ozuna will be the backup at third. Cintron will be at SS and 2nd. Erstad will be at 1st. So what is Mack's role? A backup for the backups?

I like Mac but...

Edited by scenario