Sox @ Seattle, March 11

Heads22

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
He was pretty highly touted as a signing out of Brazil. Well highly touted for our system. Started off pretty hot last year but IIRC he faded as the season went on. So he's what I'd call a project. Supposed to be fast though.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=449181

would like to see a higher OBP and AVG out of him

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Heath is looking good.

Kalapse, new question...I have my screensave off on the laptop but after 5 minutes or so my connection to the tv stops and I have to touch the pad on the laptop to get the picture back on the tv.

Is there a way to just let it stay on without me having to touch the mouse pad every few minutes.

Go into your power supply settings, there should be options for Power saving. One of them should say when computer is plugged in/batter power, turn off monitor after: 5 minutes. Just change that to an hour or just turn it off altogether.

I'm sure your laptop is different from this but it should be similar enough that you can figure it out.

The Brazillian walks. No I'm sarcastically referring to some hype BA gave Gomes. That said Gomes is pretty darn talented. But there are a lot of those type of guys and it turns out that just dont' have the fundementals to succeed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Who's the next Soriano?

Anderson Gomes

Best thing I've seen all season....Razor Shines hold Paulie at 3rd. With Cora he'd have been running and the inning would be over.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
The Brazillian walks. No I'm sarcastically referring to some hype BA gave Gomes. That said Gomes is pretty darn talented. But there are a lot of those type of guys and it turns out that just dont' have the fundementals to succeed.

Anderson Gomes

Best thing I've seen all season....Razor Shines hold Paulie at 3rd. With Cora he'd have been running and the inning would be over.

This is what BA wrote:

extremely high ceiling; comparisons to a young Soriano; has yet to validate any of the hype

Watching the Mariners I'm starting to remember how bad this organization has been over the recent few years when it comes to developing its young players. They have had a good number of talented youngsters that have failed to really develop into the type of players they thought they could be.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Watching the Mariners I'm starting to remember how bad this organization has been over the recent few years when it comes to developing its young players. They have had a good number of talented youngsters that have failed to really develop into the type of players they thought they could be.

I'd like to get one of their young catchers sent over here...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Who the hell scouts in Brazil, anyways? DJ was right -- how many major league players come from that country? I'm sure young children rather play soccer than baseball.

IIRC, Gomes was given the equivalent of 2nd to 3rd round money to play with the Sox. The guy is a serious talent, but after a couple years you have to get production and he's yet to do it. He's still plenty young though and considering he was originally a pitcher there is reason to give him extra time.

The other Brazillian comes through. Orlando is supposed to be very fast. On a sidenote, has that asian picther the Sox signed this off-season (Li or something) pitched at all in spring?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Who the hell scouts in Brazil, anyways? DJ was right -- how many major league players come from that country? I'm sure young children rather play soccer than baseball.

Brazil has a population of 180 million. The Dominican Republic, for a counterexample, has a population of about 9 million.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
IIRC, Gomes was given the equivalent of 2nd to 3rd round money to play with the Sox. The guy is a serious talent, but after a couple years you have to get production and he's yet to do it. He's still plenty young though and considering he was originally a pitcher there is reason to give him extra time.

The other Brazillian comes through. Orlando is supposed to be very fast. On a sidenote, has that asian picther the Sox signed this off-season (Li or something) pitched at all in spring?

I don't think so. I am interested about him though. Could become a real steal. Will start the year off at A and hopefully work his way up.

And flash...considering there are athletes all over the world, maybe its good the Sox are one of the few teams checking out Brazil. Its a place where the Japanese leagues have scouted and if we can be ahead of the trend and able to get some real good talents in an area that isn't as heavily mined, the dividends could pay off big time (I mean its international scouting and your always saying the Sox should do it more).

Obviously we have other places to scout too and Ozzie will help the organization a lot in Venezuela (and I guarantee that) and our Dominican scouting could be better but its far from terrible.

Wes looked good when I saw him last spring, interested to see how he does now. He was a terrible pick when we got him (given when we took him, way too early) but he has a bevy of pitches and what was considered a projectable arm for a college kid (was a two way player in college...who for most of his career was considered a better hitter than pitcher).