Sox @ Seattle, March 11

Heads22

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Brazil has a population of 180 million. The Dominican Republic, for a counterexample, has a population of about 9 million.

So? I guarantee more teenagers grow up aspiring to be baseball players within the Dominican Republic.

If Orlando and Gomes is the best we could find in a country with 180 million people, that's either an indictment on our scouts or the players being produced within the country. Which is it?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
So? I guarantee more teenagers grow up aspiring to be baseball players within the Dominican Republic.

If Orlando and Gomes is the best we could find in a country with 180 million people, that's either an indictment on our scouts or the players being produced within the country. Which is it?

Dude...seriously, Gomes is the exact type of guy you've been b****ing for the Sox to pick up. We gave him a lot of money and the guy is thought of very highly by numerous scouts.

Whisler takes a huge s*** this inning.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Wes looked good when I saw him last spring, interested to see how he does now. He was a terrible pick when we got him (given when we took him, way too early) but he has a bevy of pitches and what was considered a projectable arm for a college kid (was a two way player in college...who for most of his career was considered a better hitter than pitcher).

He was the 4th of the lefties taken early in 04, right? I still wish we could have kept Lumsden.

Wesley just let them back in it. Maybe he should convert to offense...

WOOT!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
I am thrilled we have Macdougal right now.

I like MacDougal, a lot, but I wish there was some way we coulda kept Lumsden.

Dewon Day warming up. I really would like to see him pitch, I have heard good things.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
You b**** and moan about our scouts not going anywhere outside the US, yet when they seem to be branching out in other parts of the world, some that other franchises haven't even been to, you b**** and moan. Which is it?

What use is scouting outside the US when you're not even looking at the right places? Is it that difficult to concentrate on the areas of the world (such as Latin America) where 30% of baseball players originate from?

There's a reason Brazil hasn't traditionally produced much baseball talent -- it's not a popular sport in that country. You need competition from youth to teenage years to actually judge someones abilities. Perhaps people who we consider talented in Brazil have flashy tools -- in comparison to fellow countryman -- but lack the overall talent to succeed in higher levels.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
He was the 4th of the lefties taken early in 04, right? I still wish we could have kept Lumsden.

Wesley just let them back in it. Maybe he should convert to offense...

Whisler was taken 3rd, behind Gio and Lumsden and than Liotta went after. That was actually a pretty damn good draft by the Sox, considering we also took Russell, Harrell, & Egbert in that draft and Fields is actually looking like a first rounder that might produce.

Wes started finding the zone a bit. He does get the ball down and uses his height to help him when he's on. Despite giving up 4 runs I am glad to see his motion has consistently gotten better each season I've seen him pitch.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Whisler was taken 3rd, behind Gio and Lumsden and than Liotta went after. That was actually a pretty damn good draft by the Sox, considering we also took Russell, Harrell, & Egbert in that draft and Fields is actually looking like a first rounder that might produce.

Just looked it up. It went Fields, Gio, Lumsden, Liotta, Whisler. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/draft...cws&year=04

That was a damn good draft. It was also in 04 that we claimed Bobby Jenks off of waivers.

I'm not sure, cause I remember Whis going ahead of Liotta and just checked BA and they had Whisler ahead of Liotta and I know Whisler got a larger signing bonus which would indicate the same.

I think the Sox site is wrong.

Marques brother is in. Speaking of brothers, isn't it the mariners that have Nomar's little brother? I haven't paid attention, has he been living up to his hype?

IF Mac stays healthy we won't regret that trade. Although at least the prospect we gave up also has had some health issues. That said I love Tyler's arm and attitude when he is on the mound and healthy.

And like most deals it was a fair trade from both sides.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm not sure, cause I remember Whis going ahead of Liotta and just checked BA and they had Whisler ahead of Liotta and I know Whisler got a larger signing bonus which would indicate the same.

I think the Sox site is wrong.

Yeah, I thought it went Gio; Lumsden; Whisler; Liotta as well. But then again, it isn't that big of a difference.

Can we get a Paulie chant going?

Paulie!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
IF Mac stays healthy we won't regret that trade. Although at least the prospect we gave up also has had some health issues. That said I love Tyler's arm and attitude when he is on the mound and healthy.

And like most deals it was a fair trade from both sides.

If Lumsden refines his curveball and begins striking out more batters, we'll regret it rather quickly.

I've always been a fan of Tyler's (as you know) and was rather upset when he was traded. What disappoints me even more than MacDougal possibility for injury is the fact we dealt Lumsden to a divisional team. I know I'm not looking forward to facing him for 5+ seasons.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Interesting...a Brazilian in the Sox system. I hope he can make it to the big leagues. In the country-side of Sao Paulo, there are a lot of baseball players. Most of them are Japanese descendent and they have their own league. Looking by this Paulo Orlando's name, he doesn't seem to be Japanese descendent.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
Interesting...a Brazilian in the Sox system. I hope he can make it to the big leagues. In the country-side of Sao Paulo, there are a lot of baseball players. Most of them are Japanese descendent and they have their own league. Looking by this Paulo Orlando's name, he doesn't seem to be Japanese descendent.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he with us last year in ST aswell?

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't he with us last year in ST aswell?

I don't know if he played at all with the big club, but yes, we had him last year and he played the entire minor league season down in Kanny, IIRC.

Orlando is very very fast, but Gomes is the better of the Brazilian prospects this system has.