Prospect Comparisons

BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
Here are a couple of mine...

Broadway - Jon Garland

Danks - Barry Zito

Gonzalez - A poor, poor mans Johan Santana

Fields - Scott Rolen

Broadway is a poor man's Garland, at best.

Those are laughable.

Broadway is more like a combo of Duchsherer and Josh Towers.

Fields is more like the illegitimate son of Eric Hinske and Johnny Gomes. Scott Rolen. LOL

Danks is comparable to Zito, but Zito has always had a BABIP that's unusually low, keeping his hits/IP low. Danks hasn't shown that ability. He's Zito and Jarrod Washburn's spawn.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Broadway is a poor man's Garland, at best.

If I'd compare any of our arms to Jon Garland it would be Gavin Floyd.

I don't really have any great comparisons for Broadway...Id' say at his best an old version of Mussina (ie the lower velocity Mussina, not the power Mussina from his Oriole's days).

McCulloch, well its just way too early but I'd guess at his peak someone like Brad Radke.

Josh Fields - Joe Crede (offensively I think they have very similar tools and defensively Fields has a lot of nice tools too but its hard for me to say he'll be as good as Crede; both had pretty long swings at similar stages in there career).

That said I can buy a bit into Fields swing being similar to that of Rollins, albeit by no means am I comparing the two and I must admit I'm starting like Josh more as a prospect.

Gio - poor man's Barry Zito isn't too terribly off but I don't think he'll ever have that curve nor do they have even comparible body types. I'd go more along the liens of a healthier Jim Parque. I say that in the sense that I always thought Parque, when healthy, was a pretty solid pitcher.

Danks - Scott Kazmir, minus a bit of velocity. That may seem like an odd comparison but I like Danks a lot and while he doesn't have Kazmir's velocity and they don't have similar repetoires I think they look similar on the mound and I think Danks has some deception to his fastball. I'm a big Danks fan.

Either way I actually think we have some guys that should be fun to watch develop. Oh and Ryan Sweeney....Garret Anderson and I think you'll see Sweeney have similar progression where he begins as an average hitter with little HR power and eventually learn to turn on selected pitches and develop 20-30 HR power. Oh and Sweeney will be 100 times the defensive player Anderson was.

Biran Anderson - Torri Hunter or Torri Hunter lite, depending on how his offense comes along. Both had horrendous swings at similar stages of there careers although I am one to admit I haven't seen many guys with Anderson's talent look as brutal as him at the plate. He's singlehandedly had some of the worse AB's at the major league level that I've ever seen out of a guy who actually had plenty of time in AAA (at least by a legitimate prospect.

Note: I'm making these comparisons as if they live up to pretty much there fullest potential. And I'm not implying whether I think that will happen or not.

I forgot to add the poor, poor mans for Scott Rolen. I think Fields will be a very good defensive 3B, no where Rolen's skills though. But I think he will put up similar offensive numbers and from what I have seen they have similar approaches to the plate.

Earlier in ST KW said Broadway had added a Garland-like sinker/2-seamer. Garland has a bit more velocity, but Danks has a better breaking pitch. I think this is a fair comparison.

You guys are taking this a bit too seriously. I am not predicting anyone to become the 2nd version of anyone. This is just for fun. Like if you were going to compare NBA or NFL draft prospects to real NBA or NFL players.

Another one I forgot about, Heath Phillips - Mark Buehrle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
Lance Broadway - Josh Fogg

Josh Fogg was beastly in his few innings he spent with us, and he was beastly for the first half of the next season for the Pirates...

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
If we're just going with projections, then I'm still concerned that Sweeney = Sean Burroughs.

god, I hope not.

Somewhere between the following players...

Josh Fields: Brandon Inge-Pedro Feliz

John Danks: Barry Zito-Ted Lilly

Ryan Sweeney: David Dejesus-Jacque Jones

Gio Gonzalez: Erik Bedard-Casey Fossum

Lance Broadway: Matt Morris-Kyle Lohse

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Somewhere between the following players...

Josh Fields: Brandon Inge-Pedro Feliz

John Danks: Barry Zito-Ted Lilly

Ryan Sweeney: David Dejesus-Jacque Jones

Gio Gonzalez: Erik Bedard-Casey Fossum

Lance Broadway: Matt Morris-Kyle Lohse

I dont know how you got just about any of those comparisons.

If I were to compare our top prospects to current major leaguers, based on 3eb's criteria, I'd select the following players. This is, of course, assuming they meet expectations/potential. Which isn't guaranteed, but for the sake of argument, I'll post them anyways.

Josh Fields: Troy Glaus/Chad Tracy

Giovanni Gonzalez: Scott Olsen/Doug Davis

John Danks: Nate Robertson/ Jarrod Washburn

Ryan Sweeney: Garret Anderson/ Sean Borroughs

Lance Broadway: Josh Fogg/ Jason Marquis

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
I dont know how you got just about any of those comparisons.

Simple. I think in their pro careers they will produce hitting and pitching stats (I tried to consider defense as well but that becomes tricky) somewhere between the players listed, one being positive and one being negative. For hitters I thought about contact, power, plate discipline and pitchers control, stuff, how hittable they are.

You object to my projections but have no qualms with Santana, Rolen, Kazmir? Get real.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
Simple. I think in their pro careers they will produce hitting and pitching stats (I tried to consider defense as well but that becomes tricky) somewhere between the players listed, one being positive and one being negative. For hitters I thought about contact, power, plate discipline and pitchers control, stuff, how hittable they are.

You object to my projections but have no qualms with Santana, Rolen, Kazmir? Get real.

Its just that most of those comparisons dont make sense really, because assuming they make the bigs, their upside/potential or skill sets arent close to most of the guys you compared them too.