Brian Anderson

DBAHO

And good timing for him;

Anderson finished off a 2-for-2 performance Sunday with a seeing-eye single through the infield, pushing his spring training batting average to .348 in Chicago's 12-7 victory over a Seattle Mariners split squad.

Guillen has already said Anderson will not platoon in center field -- he will open the season in Triple-A if he doesn't win the job.

"I don't give anybody the job just because -- you earn it," Guillen said. "I have a couple guys fighting for the job, and whoever performs better, that's who is going to stay."

What type of average, offensive performance etc. do you think BA is going to have to end up with, if he's going to win this CF job?

I think the change (for the better) in his swing mechanics and how consistent he can be with it from now until we head for Atlanta means a lot more than the average, one will take care of the other.

I personally want to see the BA in center, Erstad in left, Pods taking a nap lineup most of this year. Hope it happens.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 04:08 AM)
I think if BA can hit .260+ and 10 to 15 HRs. I would be elated with that. His approach has improved alot thus far in ST. I think he will be much better than last season. Hopefully the Sox stick with the kid.
10-15 HRs for the season or ST? Thome was on a tear last ST and only hit 8, so I hope you mean for the season.

I hope it doesn't come down to numbers, since they never tell the whole story. He only batted .309 last ST, and that did not translate into a good season. I think if he continues to work counts, take walks, and move runners over, he will have a great shot.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:03 AM)
BA just scares me. Last year, 8,9 and 1 hitters were such as disappointment. If he can hit .250 and put the ball in play most times, I can live with that.

Well Brian actually hit .257 Post ASB last season, so he's certainly capable of it.

I think what we saw from him in July and August last season when he had OPS's close to .800 is a good guide as to what he's capable of if he can put it together this season.

And compare that to a player like Aaron Rowand who's out up OPS's of .736 and .745 over the past 2 seasons.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 07:20 AM)
Still a long way to go in ST. However, this solid start can only help. What we saw from Brian yesterday was awesome however. Going right back up the middle in his first AB, taking a walk, the going the other way on a ball, with a base hit to RF. Just good all around AB's by Brian, and something that is good to see.

I :pray it translates into the season.

That's what we need to hope for. Last year he had a great spring. Sprayed the ball all over the place

Somehow I have a feeling that the deck is heavily stacked against BA making the team...its sad, but Guillen would rather trot out a dead horse(AKA Pods) in left once he is healthy, and Erstad in center, than have Erstad in left, BA in center and Pods at home or wherever the hell besides in the lineup.

I honesty think Anderson is headed to Charlotte regardless of what he does in spring training. Ozzie has said that Anderson won't be platooned -- he either earns a full-time job or is in AAA. There's no way Ozzie will keep Erstad or Pods on the bench. He's already on record as saying that Erstad will be hitting in the top of the order, so we know he will be starting. There's effectively no room for Anderson other than a CF platoon and that's already be ruled not an option.

Its debatable who would have a better offensive year (this year), Anderson or Erstad. Looking forward though, if this team is not going to digress in the next 3-4 years, we need production from our youth (not Erstad). It would be a huge mistake not to give Anderston every opportunity to become our centerfield of the future by playing him now.

If they dont give Anderson a chance, then this offseason of "protecting our future" was empty rhetoric and smoke/mirrors.

Edited by bad at best

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 02:05 AM)
And good timing for him;

What type of average, offensive performance etc. do you think BA is going to have to end up with, if he's going to win this CF job?

It shouldn't be too tough. Pods will be on the DL and Erstad will be the starter in LF so I don't see many scenarios that don't involve BA breaking camp as our starting CF (at least early in the season). The thing is that he will have to play well to keep that job (if Erstad is still healthy when Pods comes back).

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Somehow I have a feeling that the deck is heavily stacked against BA making the team...its sad, but Guillen would rather trot out a dead horse(AKA Pods) in left once he is healthy, and Erstad in center, than have Erstad in left, BA in center and Pods at home or wherever the hell besides in the lineup.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
I honesty think Anderson is headed to Charlotte regardless of what he does in spring training. Ozzie has said that Anderson won't be platooned -- he either earns a full-time job or is in AAA. There's no way Ozzie will keep Erstad or Pods on the bench. He's already on record as saying that Erstad will be hitting in the top of the order, so we know he will be starting. There's effectively no room for Anderson other than a CF platoon and that's already be ruled not an option.

More or less agree with both. He may start with the team, if Pods starts on the dl, but I think he'll be moved down pretty quickly.

Sure, if he's hitting well, the Sox won't demote him, but I don't think it'll take much more than a 1 1/2 - 2 week rough patch for the Sox to justify sending him down. With the sort of hitter Anderson is, those stretches are inevitable. I hope he sticks, but I doubt it.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
I just hope the Sox field the team that gives them the best chance to win.

So if that is with Anderson, that's great, but if it is not, at least he will be getting regular reps in Charlotte and not rotting on the bench.

if last year is any indication, he needed another year of seasoning in the minors. Even if he doesn't make the team you gotta believe we'll see him at some point, what with the injury prone Pods and Erstad.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
if last year is any indication, he needed another year of seasoning in the minors. Even if he doesn't make the team you gotta believe we'll see him at some point, what with the injury prone Pods and Erstad.

I agree. He'll be ready one day; whether it's now or not is the debate. But there's no denying his natural talent. In the field, at least... ;)

so if Pods starts the year on the DL, is the OF Erstad-Anderson-Dye from left to right? And if so, does that mean Perez is going to make the roster, due to Erstad's ability to play CF and Mackowiak and Ozuna being able to play LF and RF (Ozuna not so much there)? Because then when Pods comes back, who goes down? You need to send two down without having to end up with the Venezuelan torture technique in CF again.

I think BA wins the job in spite of Ozzie's tendencies. I don't see him stealing 20+ bases, hitting more than 15 homers, or batting as high as .271, but even Ozzie can't deny his defensive talent. Once he becomes a not-liability at the plate I'd say he has the job locked down for a while.

On a related note, I think we're all a little too hard on Pods. He definitely didn't have a good season last year, but I really believe that from August '05 till he had the surgery, Pods was hampered by injury whether he admits it or not. His offensive and base-stealing slumps could both be indications of that. Or they could be indications of him falling off, but I did see flashes of the old Pods at times so I'm less inclined to think so.

That said, we have no good defensive options in left field aside from Erstad so I say that if Pods doesn't make it on time for the season opener (I really think he will), the Sox should plug Erstad in.