Is Sosa gonna get a payday?

Controlled Chaos

I just read he has a clause in his minor league contract with Texas that he has to be added to the 40 man roster by Thursday or he can request his release. Since he is batting .476 this spring, even though spring stats usually mean nothing, in Sosa's case it's gonna mean a pay day. I'm far from a contract guy so I have no idea how it all works, but I think that stipulation in Sosa's deal was a pretty smart move. Now I don't know if his deal with Texas is any good and I don't know if after they add him to the 40 if they can send him down to the minors or what. I'm not sure what his status is since he didn't play last year. Either way I think he is gonna get paid on having a good spring and then be a bust again when the season starts.

Somebody will be a sucker...

If Sammy makes the 40 man roster (which he will, the Rangers are weak in the OF right now) he'll make a base salary of only $500K. He can make a total of $2.2M in performance bonuses throughout the season, most of which having to do with plate appearances.

So even if he meets every requirement in his bonuses he'll only make $2.2M in '07. He'll likely make around $1.6-$1.8M this year. With the chance of being a major bargain for the Rangers if someone introduced him to HGH over the past year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
If Sammy makes the 40 man roster (which he will, the Rangers are weak in the OF right now) he'll make a base salary of only $500K. He can make a total of $2.2M in performance bonuses throughout the season, most of which having to do with plate appearances.

So even if he meets every requirement in him bonuses he'll only make $2.2M in '07. He'll likely make around $1.6-$1.8M this year. With the chance of being a major bargain for the Rangers if someone introduced him to HGH over the past year.

If?