Rowand on The Score

fathom

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:47 AM)
I disagree. With the tough LHP in our division, you need every last bit of offense you can get against them. Rowand's a pretty solid hitter against LHP, and I would actually state I'd rather see him batting against the likes of C.C. and Santana than I would Brian Anderson. Of course, the two guys I'd most want to see face the tough lefties are Ozuna and Eduardo Perez.

You're going to see one but probably not the other.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
You're going to see one but probably not the other.

I'd like to see Ozzie get creative against LHP. There are some guys that Konerko historically struggles against. Why not give him a break a few times against those guys, and let Perez hack away. As for Thome, there's guys like C.C. that make him look silly (as did Randy Johnson last year, but he's in the NL now). I just think that against LHP, you need to be more creative than we were last year, and KW has done a good job at getting Ozzie some better options vs LHP.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
i'm for bringing ARow back.

I'm not for overpaying Pat Gillick to get him.

Doesn't Gillick owe us after the awful Garcia trade?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
Mike North asked Rowand if KW has ever told him about any plans to bring him back to the club, and Rowand said that he can't comment on that at this time. If you listened to the whole interview, Rowand gave off the vibe that he's not going to be with the Phillies for much longer. And the whole "why would we need him instead of Anderson question" can be answered by this: KW, Ozzie, and the whole organization love Aaron Rowand. Brian Anderson....not so much.

You know, I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like when you said that Ozzie's comments about McCarthy had to be "listened to" to understand the "contempt" he had for McCarthy.

Rowand can't comment on that kind of thing.

You complain that the Sox should learn to shut up, and Sox players -- and when a former player won't answer honestly, you jump all over it as proof that KW will be getting him back at any moment.

This is a non-story.

I listened to the interview on the Score's website. I don't see the big deal. All he said is that he has no comment as to whether KW told him he was in future plans at the time he was traded. Absolutely nothing else was said in this interview that indicates he is coming back. To me, he sounded unhappy about being in Philly and he would like to come to Chicago (which he said repeatedly), but he isn't thinking about it unless it happens.

Maybe he comes back, but there is nothing about that interview that indicates anything.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
I disagree. With the tough LHP in our division, you need every last bit of offense you can get against them. Rowand's a pretty solid hitter against LHP, and I would actually state I'd rather see him batting against the likes of C.C. and Santana than I would Brian Anderson. Of course, the two guys I'd most want to see face the tough lefties are Ozuna and Eduardo Perez.

I agree Rowand is a decent platoon bat (although he sucked against LHP last season, he's hit it well historically). I'd be worried that Ozzie would make him an everyday player. And even in a platoon role, I'm not real happy with the other half of that platoon. I'm not sure at all that Erstad is going to produce in the regular season, despite an OK batting average in spring training.

The bottom line for me is that Rowand offers some improvement in CF as a platoon player. But is he worth trading for? People who are thinking he can be had for Sean Tracey are delusional. Boone Logan alone won't get it done either (or Logan and Aardsma). PHI needs an actual major league reliever which is why the rumors involve names like MacDougal or Thornton. KW has a history of paying pemium talent for mediocre players he really likes. I'd be worried about that happening here as well.

It seems to me, Rowand's offensive abilities have been knocked quite a bit around here lateley. It doesn't look like Pods is going to be ready to start the season. So that leaves left field open for right now. If we don't pick up Rowand, we end up with Erstad and BA as regular starters. I would feel more comfortable with Rowand as an everyday starter then BA just because you pretty much know what you are getting with him. Look at his numbers:

HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS G AB R H 2B 3B

2001 4 20 15 28 5 1 .293 .385 .431 .816 63 123 21 36 5 0

2002 7 29 12 54 0 1 .258 .298 .394 .692 126 302 41 78 16 2

2003 6 24 7 21 0 0 .287 .327 .452 .779 93 157 22 45 8 0

2004 24 69 30 91 17 5 .310 .361 .544 .905 140 487 94 151 38 2

2005 13 69 32 116 16 5 .270 .329 .407 .736 157 578 77 156 30 5

2006 12 47 18 76 10 4 .262 .321 .425 .746 109 405 59 106 24 3

So, an average year for Aaron would be a .279 Avg, 16 HR, 61 RBI with a .780 OPS. That's not great but it's not terrible either. In the Second half of last year, BA hit .257 Avg with 3 HR, 13 RBI, and a .694 OPS. Couple with that the fact that you really don't know about BA yet. What if we go into the season with BA as an everyday starter and he hits like the first half of last year ( .192 Avg, .604 Ops)? Then our backup plan (without Rowand) would be Mack who everyone hated in the outfield last year. Bottom line, I would be for bringing A-Row back as long as we didn't have to give up a major bullpen guy (like a Jenks, Thornton, or MacDougal).

Why is Rowand unhappy in Philly? Because he basically lost the job as starting CF. Sooo, why would he want to come here and possibly platoon? Just because he's friends with Joe and AJ? I think there's something bigger happening here, if at all.

I'm not going to speculate, because I'm not going to start one of them there Eric Chavez threads. This could also be a "just in case" scenario. Just in case Erstad gets hurt, Anderson can't hit, etc. It doesn't have to happen now...it could be talks for the trade deadline. One never knows.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
sounds like the original poster might have been just a little misleading?

Nope, I'll stand by exactly what I said. If you were a general observer hearing this, you would have thought that this player was heading back to the Sox in the not-to-distant future. Also, I laugh at anyone who thinks that Ozzie wasn't being 100 pct serious when he was criticizing McCarthy and Anderson for their partying.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
You know, I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Like when you said that Ozzie's comments about McCarthy had to be "listened to" to understand the "contempt" he had for McCarthy.

Rowand can't comment on that kind of thing.

You complain that the Sox should learn to shut up, and Sox players -- and when a former player won't answer honestly, you jump all over it as proof that KW will be getting him back at any moment.

This is a non-story.

I'm probably the last person who would ever be considered part of the Aaron Rowand Fan Club. There's a difference between saying "I don't have any clue what's going on" compared to the "I probably shouldn't comment on this" like Rowand said. I would compare it to the mythical KW giggle.

Edited by fathom

I just listened, and I agree with fathom that he sounds miserable and would like to come back soon. That said, its really up to kenny and the phillies; he obviously didn't speak on their behalf.

Mike North- on a side note this was one of his worst interviews on his part ever

Well, there are 2 articles in the Philadelphia papers today questioning bullpen depth of the Phillies, especially with Tom Gordon returning to Philadelphia to see a doctor. I think I can see where something could happen because of our bullpen depth. Half way thru ST, its the time for a deal that both teams seem to need.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Mike North- on a side note this was one of his worst interviews on his part ever

That I'll agree with. He could have poked for more information but he didn't want to get under Rowand's skin.

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
It seems to me, Rowand's offensive abilities have been knocked quite a bit around here lateley. It doesn't look like Pods is going to be ready to start the season. So that leaves left field open for right now. If we don't pick up Rowand, we end up with Erstad and BA as regular starters. I would feel more comfortable with Rowand as an everyday starter then BA just because you pretty much know what you are getting with him. Look at his numbers:

HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS G AB R H 2B 3B

2001 4 20 15 28 5 1 .293 .385 .431 .816 63 123 21 36 5 0

2002 7 29 12 54 0 1 .258 .298 .394 .692 126 302 41 78 16 2

2003 6 24 7 21 0 0 .287 .327 .452 .779 93 157 22 45 8 0

2004 24 69 30 91 17 5 .310 .361 .544 .905 140 487 94 151 38 2

2005 13 69 32 116 16 5 .270 .329 .407 .736 157 578 77 156 30 5

2006 12 47 18 76 10 4 .262 .321 .425 .746 109 405 59 106 24 3

So, an average year for Aaron would be a .279 Avg, 16 HR, 61 RBI with a .780 OPS. That's not great but it's not terrible either. In the Second half of last year, BA hit .257 Avg with 3 HR, 13 RBI, and a .694 OPS. Couple with that the fact that you really don't know about BA yet. What if we go into the season with BA as an everyday starter and he hits like the first half of last year ( .192 Avg, .604 Ops)? Then our backup plan (without Rowand) would be Mack who everyone hated in the outfield last year. Bottom line, I would be for bringing A-Row back as long as we didn't have to give up a major bullpen guy (like a Jenks, Thornton, or MacDougal).

Just for reference, Rowand hit .257 with a .730 OPS after the ASB last season. And wasn't as good defensively as Anderson was, by most metrics (I know, defensive metrics suck, etc.).

Looking at Rowands stats, 2004 is a clearly a career year that biases your projection. I would think it's much more likely Rowand would have a year like his last two years: .265 avg .325 OBP .740 OPS with 12HRs. That's probably on the low side of the average performance for a starting AL CF.

If Rowand were cheap, then fine -- go ahead and bring him back. But I really don't think he's much more than a marginal improvement over Anderson. And if takes a picther off the major league roster to get him, it's a bad trade.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
...and yet he did get under his skin by calling him a 'guy who runs into walls and gets injured'

Well Rowand sounded pissed for most of the interview. It wasn't going to be hard to push his buttons. That said, the interview still sucked.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
If Rowand were cheap, then fine -- go ahead and bring him back. But I really don't think he's much more than a marginal improvement over Anderson. And if takes a pitcher off the major league roster to get him, it's a bad trade.

Summed up nicely.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
If Rowand were cheap, then fine -- go ahead and bring him back. But I really don't think he's much more than a marginal improvement over Anderson. And if takes a picther off the major league roster to get him, it's a bad trade.

Even Aardsma?

If you can get Aaron Rowand, GET HIM!

Im tired of this back and forth stuff about him that goes on here all the time. Was anyone at the game last year when he game to get his ring? I was, and that place was going nuts for a reason. Now everyone seems to hate him, and why, cause BA is better? Cmon now. BA sucks, and go back and think about last year all the times he didn't do a damn thing at the plate and did nothing but give us stuff to write and complain about. I'll take Arow and knowing that he was the starting centerfielder for the World Series team over this ceiling that BA supposedly has.

Everyone complained about trading Jeremy Reed, now where is he? Can't even make the mariners!

Please everyone, where is the common sense? BA sucks! Im not about to get excited about his ST average of late and think we have greatness on our hands.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
Even Aardsma?

I'm assuming Aardsma is headed to AAA. I think the major league pen would be MacDougal, Jenks, Thornton, Masset, Sisco, Logan/Haegar.

Considering the Phillies wanted Linebrink for Rowand, I be surprised if they could be talked in taking Aardsma off the Sox hands.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
Even Aardsma?

A 25 year old with 6 years before he hits free agency who throws in the mid/upper 90s? Hell no, you do not give that up for an OF who's a year away from Free Agency and who has hit about .270 or so the last 3 years...especially when you have a guy on your roster already who can probably give you almost the same production with better defense.

IMO, as this team stands, the Sox won't see the post season.

If they added Leiber and Rowand, I think they would win the divison.

However, I wouldn't give up a whole lot for them.

The divisional race is going to be very close but the difference for the Sox will come down to the 5th starter and another outfielder.

If they could get Rowand cheap, then I would send BA down to Charlotte.