Rowand on The Score

fathom

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
IMO, as this team stands, the Sox won't see the post season.

If they added Leiber and Rowand, I think they would win the divison.

However, I wouldn't give up a whole lot for them.

The divisional race is going to be very close but the difference for the Sox will come down to the 5th starter and another outfielder.

If they could get Rowand cheap, then I would send BA down to Charlotte.

I totally disagree. The difference between Lieber+Rowand and BA+Danks or Floyd is so bloody small to my eyes it's not even really worth talking about. Adding a 6th OF and a 7th starter will not be the difference between the postseas and sinking.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
I know many of us have come to like Rob Mackowiak and his style of play. In fact, I was pulling for the Sox to acquire the Oak Lawn native since the 2004 trade deadline. However, I would have to guess Mackowiak would be on the move.

Raising the question: if Rowand can be had for some reasonable minor league talent (excluding even Boone Logan if you wish), would you all be fine with essentially swapping Mackowiak's spot on the roster with Aaron Rowand? I ask, because I feel that is the situation we are looking at.

And, for the record (something I don't believe I ever posted), a family member of mine who was quite close with Aaron during his time here said Aaron told him that when he was moved, Williams said he was going to make significant attempts to get him back in a White Sox jersey as soon as possible. Now, this could be a bit of the coach/GM-speak; I'm not sure that they don't say this to everyone. But, it is just something else to think about.

Where there's smoke, there is usually fire.

Hey Ian, as you and I have chatted before, andersen sucks, sweeney sucks, logan sucks broadway throws light. I cannot wait to get Rowand back, even though he is average. he loves the sox and they love him for his dedication, also he will sign here for less. Cards are adding up. All these guys would be fine if the sox dismantle the team and cut payroll to Royals caliber, but thats not what is happening. They will fill certain holes as they lose key guys. two holes next year to be filled will be Fields for Crede and Danks for buehrle. There is pretty much nothing else down there.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
IMO, as this team stands, the Sox won't see the post season.

If they added Leiber and Rowand, I think they would win the divison.

However, I wouldn't give up a whole lot for them.

The divisional race is going to be very close but the difference for the Sox will come down to the 5th starter and another outfielder.

If they could get Rowand cheap, then I would send BA down to Charlotte.

:o

That's all I have to say about that.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Hey Ian, as you and I have chatted before, andersen sucks, sweeney sucks, logan sucks broadway throws light. I cannot wait to get Rowand back, even though he is average. he loves the sox and they love him for his dedication, also he will sign here for less. Cards are adding up. All these guys would be fine if the sox dismantle the team and cut payroll to Royals caliber, but thats not what is happening. They will fill certain holes as they lose key guys. two holes next year to be filled will be Fields for Crede and Danks for buehrle. There is pretty much nothing else down there.

Once again, you and I are exactly on the same page per usual, TQ.

Rowand is a proven commodity. If you want to call him an average proven commodity, I am fine with that. But, that is more than can be said for Brian Anderson.

Folks, Podsednik will be this team's left-fielder. That's it. He is still under contract, Ozzie wants speed at the top of the order, and he can be an asset when healthy (see pre-All-Star break 2005).

Erstad will spell Podsednik at times in left field and he may also spell Anderson in center. If Rowand is acquired, he will challenge Anderson for playing time in center field, he will play gold glove caliber defense, and as much as some of you hate to admit it, he will bring back some good vibes to what sounded like a pretty run-of-the-mill clubhouse last year.

The window of this team winning is closing very, very quickly. If a .230 average is what is keeping this team from challenging in the division, there is a guy in Rowand who is pretty much a lock for at least a a .270 average (fully aware he hit .262 last year).

In my opinion, Mackowiak would be the odd-man-out--but, Erstad steps in as the backup 1B as well as corner outfielder, and Rowand steps in as the backup center-fielder...looks fine to me.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
In my opinion, Mackowiak would be the odd-man-out--but, Erstad steps in as the backup 1B as well as corner outfielder, and Rowand steps in as the backup center-fielder...looks fine to me.

The biggest reason for holding onto Mackowiak, and it's one that's getting glossed over here I think by people who do want Rowand back and can't find a roster spot for him or just want another OF somewhere; Mackowiak remains our best backup option right now at 3rd base. He's a better option there than either Ozuna or Cintron, and Fields should really stay in the minors for at least a good chunk of the season. So, if Mr. Crede's back continues to cause Problems...Mack becomes our best option there.

As long as someone prevents him from ever playing CF again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
The biggest reason for holding onto Mackowiak, and it's one that's getting glossed over here I think by people who do want Rowand back and can't find a roster spot for him or just want another OF somewhere; Mackowiak remains our best backup option right now at 3rd base. He's a better option there than either Ozuna or Cintron, and Fields should really stay in the minors for at least a good chunk of the season. So, if Mr. Crede's back continues to cause Problems...Mack becomes our best option there.

As long as someone prevents him from ever playing CF again.

Small potatoes in my opinion. Both the defensive and offensive drop-off from a Crede injury would be significant if replaced by any one of Mackowiak, Ozuna, or Cintron.

Both Ozuna and Cintron play respectable defense at the hot corner. I'm not going to hand them a gold glove any time soon, but, if Joe needs someone to spell him for one to three days, it is going to be one of those two...if he'll miss more than four or five days, Fields will be up. That's that.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
Maybe we can just bring him back as a cheerleader.

If we make him a member of the Chevy Pride Crew, will that get us into the post-season?? That would be about the only role I would want him to fill right now. Maybe he can man the t-shirt gun!?!?!

The only way I am okay with the "heart and soul" of the White Sox coming back is if it takes next to nothing to get him. Knowing it will take more than that, I will go ahead and pass.

I loved the guy during his time here as much as anyone. But we can't continue to revert back to needing this mystical "grinder" presence that only Aaron Rowand provides to succeed. This team is much better than whatever mysterious intangible this guy brings to the table.

For Rowand being a great clubhouse guy, you guys sure paint it like he's complaining an awful lot instead of keeping his mouth shut and playing.

Brian Anderson, starting after the All-Star break, was Aaron Rowand with better defense and less power.

It's not important if any of us feel that Rowand is a key to White Sox success. If the Sox players and management feel that way, I think that is hugely important. Attitude, team chemistry, juju, superstition, or whatever you want to call it can focus the team's talent. If it fires up the team and Rowand for another run in 2007, go for it. I think it is more likely that an extremely happy Rowand improves his 2nd half 2006 numbers than BA figuring it out in as Ozzie's reluctant choice. I also believe that Rowand meant more than a cheerleader to the 2005 championship.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
It's not important if any of us feel that Rowand is a key to White Sox success. If the Sox players and management feel that way, I think that is hugely important. Attitude, team chemistry, juju, superstition, or whatever you want to call it can focus the team's talent. If it fires up the team and Rowand for another run in 2007, go for it. I think it is more likely that an extremely happy Rowand improves his 2nd half 2006 numbers than BA figuring it out in as Ozzie's reluctant choice. I also believe that Rowand meant more than a cheerleader to the 2005 championship.

Like how they insisted we get Alomar, and how that fired up the team for the stretch run?

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)

Well done.

Is that objective enough for everyone?

That post marks the end for me.

Now I always thought that once deals like this are rumored, they rarely ever happen, especially wth KW. Most of the Sox deals come out of nowhere.

Rowand has also been mentioned with the Padres, Blue Jays, etc so he might very well be on the move, but it might not be to the Sox.

I know he is a likable guy, but performance-wise, he doesn't seem like an upgrade over Anderson.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
White, slow, not-talented-enough-to-make-it-on-talent-alone, dives, crash into walls ....... that's called a GRINDER.

One other thing, GRINDERS usually come cheap.

I want talent.

:huh

Honestly, I love Aaron and all, but Anderson IMO deserves the job much more, and it would just be another item that wouldn't fill any of the holes we have right now.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Make some baseball-minded posts regarding the reacquisition of a former White Sox center-fielder and sure enough, the always witty Rowand cheerleader posts come out in full force.

This place is insufferable at times.

You know how this works, man. Its a message board, and one full of sometimes angst-ridden Sox fans (ourselves included). By nature, people will tend to make things out to the extreme. A player either sucks and is worthless, or is the best thing since sliced bread.

Just ignore the extremists and engage in thoughtful conversations with the other posters willing to do so.

Rowand may be a better option than Anderson this year for a number of reasons, but he's a soon-to-be free agent and more expensive than BA (and, probably, has a lower ceiling than BA). As a few others have said, if the price is reasonable, its worth considering. If it means giving up important pieces for the team's future, then its not.

Put me in the center of the Brian Anderson haters club. I've been annoyed with this guy since the day he arrived as if he were the second coming of Andruw Jones. He's prooven nothing other than the fact that he's not, nor will he ever be Andruw Jones. Rowand is no better, but at least he helped bring us a world title...so for that alone, Rowand gets the get out of jail free from me. Anderson gets bubkis, because he's done bubkis while talking as if he were the MVP of MVP's.

Anderson will suck until he prooves otherwise. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, he can hammer minor league pitching with good defense, but in the majors, he looks flat out afraid at the plate -- with good defense. And I don't care about his spring training performance, either...he did the same last year and was a black hole in our lineup.

Rowand has also shown that he'd kill himself to make a play/win a game. Anderson's prooven he can go out and drink with the "honeys" while batting .130 with 2HR. Meh.

And I'll be the first to eat crow, as they say, if Anderson can proove me wrong. Because I want nothing more for Anderson to be AWESOME, and help this team make the post season.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Put me in the center of the Brian Anderson haters club. I've been annoyed with this guy since the day he arrived as if he were the second coming of Andruw Jones. He's prooven nothing other than the fact that he's not, nor will he ever be Andruw Jones. Rowand is no better, but at least he helped bring us a world title...so for that alone, Rowand gets the get out of jail free from me. Anderson gets bubkis, because he's done bubkis while talking as if he were the MVP of MVP's.

Anderson will suck until he prooves otherwise. Right now, as far as I'm concerned, he can hammer minor league pitching with good defense, but in the majors, he looks flat out afraid at the plate -- with good defense. And I don't care about his spring training performance, either...he did the same last year and was a black hole in our lineup.

Rowand has also shown that he'd kill himself to make a play/win a game. Anderson's prooven he can go out and drink with the "honeys" while batting .130 with 2HR. Meh.

And I'll be the first to eat crow, as they say, if Anderson can proove me wrong. Because I want nothing more for Anderson to be AWESOME, and help this team make the post season.

Waffler. :ph34r: :lol: