Rowand on The Score

fathom

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
Then leave it. :bang

k

and I really, really, really doubt the Sox are interested in acquiring Rowand. KW may like Rowand, but to suggest he does NOT love Anderson is a joke and a half. He may have soured on a him a bit, but he was a f***ing rookie last year. Consider the fact that KW moved not one, but two CFers to ensure Anderson would be the starter in CF last year; do you think he doesn't like Anderson?

Unless it's Tracey and Phillips, or some other AAAA player, KW better not even respond.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin Ventura hit .179 his first cup of coffee in the bigs, then he hit a whopping .249 in his first full season. If this board existed back then, everyone would of been saying what a bust, this guy sucks, lets replace him with a vet or another guy.

Brian Anderson may be a decent OF, or he may hit like crap. But you have to give the kid a chance. If he sucks, then replace him.

Erstad was signed for as the security blanket for if Brian sucks this year. If he is bad or has a real bad start, he will be replaced.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Robin Ventura hit .179 his first cup of coffee in the bigs, then he hit a whopping .249 in his first full season. If this board existed back then, everyone would of been saying what a bust, this guy sucks, lets replace him with a vet or another guy.

Brian Anderson may be a decent OF, or he may hit like crap. But you have to give the kid a chance. If he sucks, then replace him.

Erstad was signed for as the security blanket for if Brian sucks this year. If he is bad or has a real bad start, he will be replaced.

I honestly believe a vast majority of the fans on this board are willing to give Anderson a significant number of chances. However, it's the same fans that are aware that he'll never be given that many chances, and he might be on his last leg with our current manager. You better believe that if Ozzie has his way, he'll have his "speedy" leadoff hitter in Pods, and his #2 hitter will be the ultimate grinder, Erstad. Meanwhile, Anderson will be partying in Charlotte.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)

Maybe I'm the only one thinking about this, but there's another little option here if we're so desperate to return Aaron Rowand to CF; I'm fairly certain his contract is up at the end of 07, making him a Free Agent. (He'll be on the market along with Ichiro, Jones, and Torii Hunter).

Instead of spending talent on a trade, given that we've already grabbed Erstad and could at worst do a decent platoon situation...if Anderson can't cut it for a 2nd year in a row, there's another option.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
k

and I really, really, really doubt the Sox are interested in acquiring Rowand. KW may like Rowand, but to suggest he does NOT love Anderson is a joke and a half. He may have soured on a him a bit, but he was a f***ing rookie last year. Consider the fact that KW moved not one, but two CFers to ensure Anderson would be the starter in CF last year; do you think he doesn't like Anderson?

Unless it's Tracey and Phillips, or some other AAAA player, KW better not even respond.

I think KW supports Anderson, but I don't know about Ozzie. If KW knows that Ozzie won't play Anderson, doesn't want him on the team, and sees that the other rh cf is Luis Terrero, maybe he kicks the tires. :huh

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Waffler. :ph34r: :lol:
Many of our whitesox stars have struggled a bit when they made the bigs. ie Ventura, Konerko, even Rowand himself. Anderson success as far as Ozzie and KW surmise is his ability to hit lefties and his penchant for partying. KW and Ozzie removed his drinking cohort (McCarthy) and I totally believe the message was received loud and clear on why McCarthy was traded. I totally believe ozzie should implement a platoon in center, designated hitter or any other position where that player has shown and inablity to hit against left handed pitching or any particular pitcher. Hitting stats only tell half the story; seems like there is a fielding dimension and a rocket arm ANderson did have a few good months last year where he hit 300 or better and the downside of Anderson is he doesn't go all out and crash into walls subsequently going on the DL or getting into dirt bike accidents. Anderson takes good routes to fly balls and American and National league runners alike have come to fear his arm. I believe in Brian's abilty and future over any other option. He is our only true center fielder he will become a true hitter this year!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers

QUOTE(forrestg @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
Anderson takes good routes to fly balls and American and National league runners alike have come to fear his arm.

They have? Teams were running at will on all our outfielders last year. Anderson has a strong arm, but it's not very accurate. He didn't throw out a single runner on the bases last year (even if he had some assists, it was from cut-offs, etc.).

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
They have? Teams were running at will on all our outfielders last year. Anderson has a strong arm, but it's not very accurate. He didn't throw out a single runner on the bases last year (even if he had some assists, it was from cut-offs, etc.).

To be fair, its not like any of our OFs have been tearing it up with OF gun outs in a long time. Dye had a nice trick when he came over, fake the throw into 2nd, and then throw behind the runner as he turns around. Andersons arm is strong, but accuracy is not there. So he needs to either hit the cutoff guy, and hopefully someone is running the show in the infield to call cuts, and to call the tag placement. Or he will need to work on the fundamentals of making the throw, in the best possible place for a tag.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)

Ah yes the voice of sanity.

:cheers

What I wish this organization would consider is giving Anderson the full-time position for this season. Then, after 2007 concludes, decide whether he's your future centerfielder based on another year of maturation. If he's not -- pursue Rowand on the open market. He'll be there for the taking. If Anderson has made strides, we're better off remaining patient.

Anderson certaintly won't be the deciding factor in our success. There are eight other players on the lineup, including the VAUNTED pitching staff, who should be held accountable before him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
What I wish this organization would consider is giving Anderson the full-time position for this season. Then, after 2007 concludes, decide whether he's your future centerfielder based on another year of maturation. If he's not -- pursue Rowand on the open market. He'll be there for the taking. If Anderson has made strides, we're better off remaining patient.

Anderson certaintly won't be the deciding factor in our success. There are eight other players on the lineup, including the VAUNTED pitching staff, who should be held accountable before him.

Outstanding Flash.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
I havent read the thread, but let me be one of the first if not the first to say this:

f*** Aaron Rowand. Anderson will be twice the major leaguer than A-row will ever be.

Im saving this one. I might just be able to bring it back in a few months and laugh.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)

Ur right about Brian not being the deciding factor in our success, but him not doing well limits the amount of slack there can be with the rest of the lineup. I'd rather have someone in there who we KNOW can perform.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
Im saving this one. I might just be able to bring it back in a few months and laugh.

A few months from now will determine whether Anderson is the better player? Wow, BA doesnt have much time at all

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
A few months from now will determine whether Anderson is the better player? Wow, BA doesnt have much time at all

Well it's just as screwed up for me to make that prediction as it was to say Brian would be twice the player, going off what?

I'll leave it up to the Sox organization to decide about Brian, I think they know a thing or two more than us about players.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
I'll leave it up to the Sox organization to decide about Brian, I think they know a thing or two more than us about players.

The White Sox organization is FAR from perfect when it comes to personnel moves and all this Rowand talk only makes them look worse. They put all they're eggs in the basket of a 23 year old AAA OF, trading away a guy who some people for whatever reason seem to think is a pretty good player in Aaron Rowand and a potential 30/30 guy/top 12 prospect in all of baseball in Chris Young for a league average pitcher just to clear the way for the 23 year old. And now they're apparently scrambling trying to find a replacement for this failed major leaguer.

Second/First guessing this organization when it comes to personnel decisions seems more than reasonable.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)

Ur right about Brian not being the deciding factor in our success, but him not doing well limits the amount of slack there can be with the rest of the lineup. I'd rather have someone in there who we KNOW can perform.

It's much easier to accept his problems considering his defensive abilities.

Here's how I judge Anderson and Rowand based upon imaginary metrics. Let's say we were to judge both players offensive and defensive abilities according to a scale ranging from 0-10. Would it be out of line to conservatively state Anderson is a 8 defensively, 4 offensively; whereas Rowand is a 6 defensively, 6 offensively? I don't believe so.

I understand these are completely subjective. It's just, in my opinion, Anderson's defensive abilities (combined with his offensive ceiling) don't really justify a Rowand trade.

What exactly would be the extended future of Rowand here, anyways? Let's say we trade for him -- does he leave in 2008, or does Williams give him a long term deal? What about Anderson? Having him around always has the additional benefit of costing five million dollars less. Do the small differences in both players justify 5+mil dollar gap? Especially considering that Suzuki character would look good in RF, and any wasted money can't go towards him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
The White Sox organization is FAR from perfect when it comes to personnel moves and all this Rowand talk only makes them look worse. They put all they're eggs in the basket of a 23 year old AAA OF, trading away a guy who some people for whatever reason seem to think is a pretty good player in Aaron Rowand and a potential 30/30 guy/top 12 prospect in all of baseball in Chris Young for a league average pitcher just to clear the way for the 23 year old. And now they're apparently scrambling trying to find a replacement for this failed major leaguer.

Second/First guessing this organization when it comes to personnel decisions seems more than reasonable.

My point was they know a lot more than you, I and everyone here and thats why they have the jobs they do. I'll sit back and leave it to them, afterall, these moves did bring me the pleasure of watching my team win a world series.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Well it's just as screwed up for me to make that prediction as it was to say Brian would be twice the player, going off what?

talent, skills, the fact that Aaron Rowand is at best a 4th of'er.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
My point was they know a lot more than you, I and everyone here and thats why they have the jobs they do. I'll sit back and leave it to them, afterall, these moves did bring me the pleasure of watching my team win a world series.

Well, what does that say with ALL the information they had (that we apparently didnt') on Chris Young and Brian Anderson, that Williams traded Young with the idea Anderson would be our future CF?

Attempting to acquire Rowand sort of suggests a major f*** up to me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
talent, skills, the fact that Aaron Rowand is at best a 4th of'er.

And sure enough, that's where BA will probably end up this seasonl, a 4th outfielder. So I guess he's twice the player then.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
Well, what does that say with ALL the information they had (that we apparently didnt') on Chris Young and Brian Anderson, that Williams traded Young with the idea Anderson would be our future CF?

Attempting to acquire Rowand sort of suggests a major f*** up to me.

Judging by your sig, I'll never win an argument with you cause appearenly all you do is question moves Kenny has made and anything related to the farm system.