Rowand on The Score

fathom

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
talent, skills, the fact that Aaron Rowand is at best a 4th of'er.

If you are going to use the phrase "at best," that statement is not true. At best, Aaron can hit over .300 with 20 HR's, 30 Doubles, and an OPS around .900. Those are not 4th Of'er numbers. I'm not saying he will do it again, I'm just saying that at least Aaron has done it and could possibly do it again.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
If you are going to use the phrase "at best," that statement is not true. At best, Aaron can hit over .300 with 20 HR's, 30 Doubles, and an OPS around .900. Those are not 4th Of'er numbers. I'm not saying he will do it again, I'm just saying that at least Aaron has done it and could possibly do it again.

And one year of Brian Anderson doesn't give you enough info to say Rowand would be better. The only way to compare would if they entered the league within a year of each other.

Chris Young hasn't shown anything at the major league level yet either. Let's decide at the end of a couple of years to see who got the better end of THAT deal.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
And one year of Brian Anderson doesn't give you enough info to say Rowand would be better. The only way to compare would if they entered the league within a year of each other.

Chris Young hasn't shown anything at the major league level yet either. Let's decide at the end of a couple of years to see who got the better end of THAT deal.

I agree. We really don't know about Anderson's offensive abilities quite yet. I'm just concerned about another year of sub .200 hitting for several months from the CF spot in our lineup.

Edited by pcullotta

at best Scott Podsednik is a .380 OBP/.820 OPS/75 SB guy at 80%. I'd bet one of my toes he doesn't get anywhere near any of those numbers this year (except maybe the stolen base percentage, and that's if he only steals like 15 bases).

I'd also put that same toe on the line and would bet that Aaron Rowand never puts up another .800 OPS season as a starting player again, let alone .300 20 60 XBHs .900.

Rowand, at best right now, is a 4th OFer. If you are going strictly based off of numbers, you are incorrect in this. His game just doesn't allow him to be any more than that, and without an adjustment, he never will be able to do it again.

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Judging by your sig, I'll never win an argument with you cause appearenly all you do is question moves Kenny has made and anything related to the farm system.

Since when is this about winning arguments? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Although I don't believe it's wrong, in this instance, to openly question their evaluation of Brian Anderson considering they traded Rowand and Young with the belief he'd be their next CF.

I question Williams moves when I don't agree with them. And those quotes within my signature were from Williams himself. Who, I'm guessing, understands our farm system needs to pick it up.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Since when is this about winning arguments? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Although I don't believe it's wrong, in this instance, to openly question their evaluation of Brian Anderson considering they traded Rowand and Young with the belief he'd be their next CF.

I question Williams moves when I don't agree with them. And those quotes within my signature were from Williams himself. Who, I'm guessing, understands our farm system needs to pick it up.

+2

And I've said this once, unless there getting A-Row as our starting LF (which I don't mind at all considering a defense of Rowand-Anderson-Dye is 2 times better than any outfield we've seen in this organization for quite some time) I don't want him back. I'd rather hold my breath and get another left-handed stick whose defensive is better than Rowands and has the same grinder mentality. (Like Jeremy Reed for instance. :))

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)

haha, winnar

Yes, and at best I could start on every MLB team in the league. Lets keep aiming for the sky.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
at best Scott Podsednik is a .380 OBP/.820 OPS/75 SB guy at 80%. I'd bet one of my toes he doesn't get anywhere near any of those numbers this year (except maybe the stolen base percentage, and that's if he only steals like 15 bases).

I'd also put that same toe on the line and would bet that Aaron Rowand never puts up another .800 OPS season as a starting player again, let alone .300 20 60 XBHs .900.

Rowand, at best right now, is a 4th OFer. If you are going strictly based off of numbers, you are incorrect in this. His game just doesn't allow him to be any more than that, and without an adjustment, he never will be able to do it again.

I have seen several people on this board refer to Rowand as 4th outfielder. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the last two years, I believe he was a starting center fielder: last year for a pretty good Phillies team, and the year before that for a Sox team who, IIRC, ended up doing pretty good as well. While I'll be the first to admit he's far from a star player putting up great numbers, it seems false to classify him as a 4th outfielder when he's started on two different, pretty good teams the past two seasons.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
I have seen several people on this board refer to Rowand as 4th outfielder. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the last two years, I believe he was a starting center fielder: last year for a pretty good Phillies team, and the year before that for a Sox team who, IIRC, ended up doing pretty good as well. While I'll be the first to admit he's far from a star player putting up great numbers, it seems false to classify him as a 4th outfielder when he's started on two different, pretty good teams the past two seasons.

so because the Sox did well when he was the CFer, he's good? That's the worst argument in the world. He was a passable CFer because he was mediocre offensively and good defensively. And he was not really all that good in Philly last year either, what with his .262 average and a .745 OPS in one of the best hitters parks in the NL, and to top it off, he was injured as well because of his own doing (his "grinderness," if you will). He's a good 4th OFer who just so happens to be the best option in CF for the two teams he was on in the past two years. That's no longer the case in either place, hence why the Phillies are looking to move him and his $4+ million salary

The fact of the matter is Erstad would almost undoubtedly put up better numbers if he were to stay healthy, and Anderson would very likely be a better option as well. The Phillies aren't willing to just give him away, but they are and have been shopping him for quite some time, and for good reason - because Aaron Rowand is a glorified 4th OFer.

/intentionally ignores screen name

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Did anyone else hear Rowand's interview around 8:15 with Mike North. After hearing the interview, I'm anticipating him being on the Sox any second now. Rowand had a couple of "no comments" when asked about what KW has told him about coming back to the Sox, etc. Also, Rowand seemed very disgruntled about his situation in Philadelphia.

Fathom, unless a deal is done I don't think KW could be talking to Rowand. Am I wrong on that?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't Gillick owe us after the awful Garcia trade?

KW made Philly look silly with the Thome trade, and if it's true they'll toss in more cash if/when Thome's option is picked up, it just gets better.

Edited by santo=dorf

My prediction now;

Anderson gets traded to the Marlins for some pitching prospects.

We then trade for Rowand using Sean Tracey and a pitching prospect.

And what are the odds on BA out performing Rowand this season? Of course if BA moved to a pitchers park, it'd be harder for him to do so.

The last 2 season offensively wise are the norm for Rowand I'd say, I don't think there's a that big of a chance he goes back to his 2004 numbers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
And what are the odds on BA out performing Rowand this season? Of course if BA moved to a pitchers park, it'd be harder for him to do so.

The last 2 season offensively wise are the norm for Rowand I'd say, I don't think there's a that big of a chance he goes back to his 2004 numbers.

I would say that given BA's age, minor league performance, raw talent, and defense, there's a significant chance BA will outperform ARow this season. Others have pointed out that in the 2nd half last year, they basically were pretty much equal with the bat in the time they played.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
I would say that given BA's age, minor league performance, raw talent, and defense, there's a significant chance BA will outperform ARow this season. Others have pointed out that in the 2nd half last year, they basically were pretty much equal with the bat in the time they played.

mmmhmm. And BA has played well this spring.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
My prediction now;

Anderson gets traded to the Marlins for some pitching prospects.

We then trade for Rowand using Sean Tracey and a pitching prospect.

Unless the prospects obtained for Anderson have top of the rotation potential, and those which depart (including Tracey) are teh suck, I'll be very aggravated with Williams.

I asked this earlier and no one answered -- is the idea here we sign Rowand to another long term deal after 2007? I don't understand why we couldn't wait an extra season.

Oh, and if Anderson were to match Rowand (for five million less), Williams should be embarrassed with himself letting Brian and Young leave for equal production. Basically, I wouldn't take the risk trading Anderson unless we're receiving a stud pitching prospect. Which I doubt Anderson could command or Florida would give up.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
If we could get a good/potential filled bullpen arm out of the Marlins like Renyal Pinto or Petit out of Anderson I'd probably do the trade, if we got Rowand from a package like Tracey and Rogo.

If we trade BA for a bullpen prospect, I will vomit.