David Aardsma

VAfan

QUOTE(VAfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When this trade was made, I wondered why. And now that we've added other power arms for the bullpen and Aardsma is getting rocked, I am really wondering why.

Cotts lost considerable luster last year, but he saved our butts at critical moments in our WS run. What has Aardsma ever done? The only time I've seen him pitch was the ST game against the Cubs this year, and he looked like the worst guy we trotted out that day (though Haeger had no control).

Was this trade a big mistake? Discuss.

Well it appears you can't have much of an opinion on this because you admitately said you've only seen him once, and it was a ST game.

Cotts sucked, and if it's true that he can refuse a minor league assignment because he's been on the major league roster for 3 consecutive seasons, the Sox can't do anything with him.

At least Aardsma can be sent down, he has a live arm (he had the highest average fastball based on speed for the Cubs last year,) and as a righty he was tough on lefties last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
KW sold low on Cotts. For a young lefty reliever a year removed from a tremendous season, I thought we should have gotten more. Aardsma isn't a good pitcher, and I feel like Hendry sold KW on his performance to end the season.

I tend to agree, but I think we sold low of Freddie Garcia too. I won't say we went low on McCarthy low. We got two arms for one and all close in expereince and talent. I prefer to think we came out ahead on that trade.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
Cause Cotts sucks major a-s-s. Really, he does. He had one good season. He is gone and I really couldn't care any less about it.

Mackowiak for Marte was an awesome trade for the Sox. I would take a utility player with the capability of Macks any day over a nothing pitcher like Marte. I still can't believe we got Mack for Marte. That is just ridiculous.

OK fine, that all makes sense. But I still think it was because of his name.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
I just realized this... but Ryan Bukvich has a realistic shot at making the team. 7 IP, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 2 ER, 8 Hs, 2.57 ERA

That is probably best out of all the relievers.

He used to have pretty electric stuff, but I think injuries have cost him a high 90s fastball. Like with many of our other relievers, control has been an issue in his past.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
When this trade was made, I wondered why. And now that we've added other power arms for the bullpen and Aardsma is getting rocked, I am really wondering why.

Cotts lost considerable luster last year, but he saved our butts at critical moments in our WS run. What has Aardsma ever done? The only time I've seen him pitch was the ST game against the Cubs this year, and he looked like the worst guy we trotted out that day (though Haeger had no control).

Was this trade a big mistake? Discuss.

who f***ing cares? cotts couldnt get dick out last year, and he can eat my ass...

*this post brought to you by the swear filter...

QUOTE(VAfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
Cotts lost considerable luster last year, but he saved our butts at critical moments in our WS run.

So can I start a thread wondering if it was a good idea to let Geoff Blum walk? I mean, sure, he batted .254 as a PH and utility man for the Padres, but c'mon, that man won Game 3 of the WS for us! How could we let a guy like that go?

Actually, at least Blum had some real value as a PH last season. What did Cotts have value in? Being less than average.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
who f***ing cares? cotts couldnt get dick out last year, and he can eat my ass...

*this post brought to you by the swear filter...

Ohhh visions of Borat come running through my mind.

Where's the puke smile when you need it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
I just realized this... but Ryan Bukvich has a realistic shot at making the team. 7 IP, 8 K's, 0 BB's, 2 ER, 8 Hs, 2.57 ERA

That is probably best out of all the relievers.

This is one case where the numbers completely don't matter. This kid has zero chance at making the team. He is probably somewhere around 12th in line for the pen. If he makes the team out of spring, something really, really, really bad probably just happened.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
I liked Cotts but he seemed kind of creepy. If there was some suicide or go on a murder rampage pool in baseball, he would probably be on the list

:lol:

It's the soft spoken demeanor, and the fact his face is incapable of producing a smile.