2 Random Thoughts on the Dance

Why is it that 99.9 percent of us in the midwest say "tournament" wrong. The eastern seaboard people pronounce it "tour-na-ment", which is right, yet us midwesterners call it the "turn-a-ment" for some reason. I never realized it until now, and don't get it.

Also, had Illinois kept the Chief (it's official today that he's gone, but the nickname Fighting Illini stays btw I heard), would they have been left out of the dance? I say it's very possible with as fickle as the NCAA is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
I agree. Turnament is the way to go.

For the same reason that many people not from Illinois say "Illi-noise."

And if you go to any diction school, they teach the Midwestern style of speech, mostly.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Also, had Illinois kept the Chief (it's official today that he's gone, but the nickname Fighting Illini stays btw I heard), would they have been left out of the dance? I say it's very possible with as fickle as the NCAA is.

Why you think Florida State got snubbed???

To answer your question, no.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Why is it that 99.9 percent of us in the midwest say "tournament" wrong. The eastern seaboard people pronounce it "tour-na-ment", which is right, yet us midwesterners call it the "turn-a-ment" for some reason. I never realized it until now, and don't get it.

Another random thought (it might have been posted in another thread, not sure)...Indiana got a 7 seed in a region, while Texas Tech got a 10 in another region. Why couldn't the committee put them in the same region and have one of the most talked about first-round games in recent memory? It would have been a great storyline, and would probably draw larger-than-usual ratings.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
Another random thought (it might have been posted in another thread, not sure)...Indiana got a 7 seed in a region, while Texas Tech got a 10 in another region. Why couldn't the committee put them in the same region and have one of the most talked about first-round games in recent memory? It would have been a great storyline, and would probably draw larger-than-usual ratings.

What I don't get is why Florida is in the midwest and OSU is in the south

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)

Most people down here in Texas say Tour - na - ment but I say Turn - a - ment since im from Illinois..

I also say eggs weird supposedly.. I say it like aigs but they say it like ehggs, same problem with a friend of mine named Greg, they say that I say his name like Craig because I pronounce things like that with the aig sound and not eh