How is Seattle at home a "Prime" series?

Hideaway Lights

I sort of understand the Toronto with Return of Frank II (although this really isn't gonna be the same as it was last year), and I sort of understand the WS rematch with Houston.

But Seattle....a bridge too far...

QUOTE(Balance @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
Maybe this is just because it's a summer weekend game. But I agree, not much reason to call it a "prime" matchup.

TB and KC are weekend series in the summer, probably are going to have comparable records, and they aren't prime.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I am guessing it has something to do with the Asian contingent that follows Ichiro and Johjima.

Hmmmm...so if the White Sox sign Ichiro next offseason...they could market every series as a Prime series.

(Firing off email to Brooks...)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
I am guessing it has something to do with the Asian contingent that follows Ichiro and Johjima.

More likely becuase its a weekend during the sox big months of June, July, Aug, where they usually sell out weekend games by defualt becuase school is out, fireworks, warm summer nights, blah blah. Everyone knows it. Look at the home weekend schedule for Jun, jul, Aug, all the series are quality series on paper except for Tor and Sea. So one can then conclude that since they inlcuded Tor and Sea as Prime they did so becuase of the time of year and day of the week, not the matchup per say. If thats the case they sould say Prime as in either by match up (team) or by time during the season or week. Its really a joke. Do they really think they are pulling a fast one on us, we are not retarded.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
More likely becuase its a weekend during the sox big months of June, July, Aug, where they usually sell out weekend games by defualt becuase school is out, fireworks, warm summer nights, blah blah. Everyone knows it. Look at the home weekend schedule for Jun, jul, Aug, all the series are quality series on paper except for Tor and Sea. So one can then conclude that since they inlcuded Tor and Sea as Prime they did so becuase of the time of year and day of the week, not the matchup per say. If thats the case they sould say Prime as in either by match up (team) or by time during the season or week. Its really a joke. Do they really think they are pulling a fast one on us, we are not retarded.

Its not about pulling a fast one, its about making the most money possible out of the schedule we were given. People want a $100 million plus payroll, we have to pay for it somehow. This is how.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Its not about pulling a fast one, its about making the most money possible out of the schedule we were given. People want a $100 million plus payroll, we have to pay for it somehow. This is how.

Its not the price or payroll im arguing about. Its about denoting that Sea series as Prime as if due to the matchup being Seattle its a popular or crucial series, when obviously its not. If they want to charge more for it becuase its a weekend during Jun, Jul, or Aug fine by me, they should because those tickets are in higher demand (thats the way econ works, things in higher demand cost more), but dont label it a Prime because of the two teams matching up. That works for our rivals like Minny, Det, and also for the big boys like Yanks BoSox, but like I said dont pull a fast one on us by pooling lowly seattle as a "bigtime" series the way those others teams are.

I and everyone else would rather enjoy the strait up its a weekend summer home series therefore it costs you more because of demand. Instead we are supposed to just blindly accept that its a prime matchup alright and is as popular and interesting as playing the Twins, Tigers, or Tribe. Thats just not reality.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)

Then they shouldn't have removed 8k seats. :huh

These prime and premier price discrepancies are bogus.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
Its not the price or payroll im arguing about. Its about denoting that Sea series as Prime as if due to the matchup being Seattle its a popular or crucial series, when obviously its not. If they want to charge more for it becuase its a weekend during Jun, Jul, or Aug fine by me, they should because those tickets are in higher demand (thats the way econ works, things in higher demand cost more), but dont label it a Prime because of the two teams matching up. That works for our rivals like Minny, Det, and also for the big boys like Yanks BoSox, but like I said dont pull a fast one on us by pooling lowly seattle as a "bigtime" series the way those others teams are.

I and everyone else would rather enjoy the strait up its a weekend summer home series therefore it costs you more because of demand. Instead we are supposed to just blindly accept that its a prime matchup alright and is as popular and interesting as playing the Twins, Tigers, or Tribe. Thats just not reality.

I think you are reading WAY too much into the whole Prime/Premier thing. No one is pulling a fast one. They do not say Seattle or any other team is the reason for the elevated pricing. They simply color code the entire schedule in a month-by-month layout that is easy to follow. The mid-summer weekend night is the reason for premier pricing, not the Seattle Mariners.

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Then they shouldn't have removed 8k seats. :huh

These prime and premier price discrepancies are bogus.

You're right, they shouldn't have listened to the fans when they said the park wasn't intimiate enough. :bang

Stop and think about it for a second. The fans want a paradox out of the the White Sox. They want infinate front row seats to the best games, for a dirt cheap price, a full stadium (except no lines anywhere, ever), and a $200 million payroll... Yeah good luck with that. You might want to meet my friend "Reality"

Everything has a consequence. People b****ed for 10 years about the top of the upper deck, and now they are going to b**** because those eight thousand seats are gone? Cripes. Talk about never happy. These are the economics of modern baseball. You want cheap seats and plenty of availablity, I am sure the Royals can help you with that. The Sox are putting a top 5ish payroll on the field, and I for one understand the sacrifices that go with that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:46 PM)
You're right, they shouldn't have listened to the fans when they said the park wasn't intimiate enough. :bang

Stop and think about it for a second. The fans want a paradox out of the the White Sox. They want infinate front row seats to the best games, for a dirt cheap price, a full stadium (except no lines anywhere, ever), and a $200 million payroll... Yeah good luck with that. You might want to meet my friend "Reality"

Everything has a consequence. People b****ed for 10 years about the top of the upper deck, and now they are going to b**** because those eight thousand seats are gone? Cripes. Talk about never happy. These are the economics of modern baseball. You want cheap seats and plenty of availablity, I am sure the Royals can help you with that. The Sox are putting a top 5ish payroll on the field, and I for one understand the sacrifices that go with that.

The Sox should just operate as a non-profit company, aiming to break even every year. Pass the savings along to the fans with cheaper seats, concessions, parking, etc.

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
The Sox should just operate as a non-profit company, aiming to break even every year. Pass the savings along to the fans with cheaper seats, concessions, parking, etc.

So the Sox should be able to see into the future to know exactly what ever varaible for attendence is going to be, and adjust prices and expenses accordingly. Sounds reasonable.

Actually I have a better idea, since the flux capacitor got destroyed by a train in 1985, and Doc hasn't come up with a new way to break the time/space continium yet, the Sox should really play out the season, and then if they have a profit just roll the money back into the team. I think that is a great idea. Huh? What's that? They have been doing exactly that forever now? No way!

They basically do. The ownership of the team puts most of the revenue back into the team. It cost money to run an organization so if you give everything away or at the lowest possible price the funds to run the organization are lower and the product is weaker.

This thread is mind numbing. The designation of game is based on what the demand for the game is and the price is set to maxium the profit from that specific game. The team they are playing has a minor impact, unless it is the Yankees, cubs or Red Sox.

People b**** and moan about wanting a higher payroll and then b**** and moan about having to support it.

This is not the f***ing federal government.

You SHOULD pay more to see a Saturday game in July as oppossed to a Wednesday afternoon in April. That is simple economics that a 4th grader could understand and a very smart way to maximize your profits.

It's because it will be billed as an East versus West matchup. The intro screen will be two boxing gloves that come together and cause an explo...

Wait...I think that's been done before, but it didn't involve Japan.

Oh, and for the record, I really hope Dice-K in Boston is the biggest, most expensive bust in history -- not sure why...but Boston annoyed me with all the cash the dumped on a guy that's never pitched in the majors. That, combined with the mega-hype surrounding him and his non-existant "gyroball", that guy just irks me...and I was happy to see him get smashed last week.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
I think you are reading WAY too much into the whole Prime/Premier thing. No one is pulling a fast one. They do not say Seattle or any other team is the reason for the elevated pricing. They simply color code the entire schedule in a month-by-month layout that is easy to follow. The mid-summer weekend night is the reason for premier pricing, not the Seattle Mariners.

exactly.

thats unrealistic approach. it is a business and people that have invested in this team want to see returns.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
It's because it will be billed as an East versus West matchup. The intro screen will be two boxing gloves that come together and cause an explo...

Wait...I think that's been done before, but it didn't involve Japan.

Oh, and for the record, I really hope Dice-K in Boston is the biggest, most expensive bust in history -- not sure why...but Boston annoyed me with all the cash the dumped on a guy that's never pitched in the majors. That, combined with the mega-hype surrounding him and his non-existant "gyroball", that guy just irks me...and I was happy to see him get smashed last week.

Stark (I am drawing a blank on his first name) on ESPN Radio called him the offseason move with the most impact thsi morning. I was waiting for him to say the Fonz was. He also said the Tigers are the best team in baseball. Well he said the AL and the NL he said watch out for the Reds so I guess the Tigers would have to be the best in baseball. The Indians were his other team. Well the season is ova for us Sox Fans.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:11 AM)
Actually I have a better idea, since the flux capacitor got destroyed by a train in 1985, and Doc hasn't come up with a new way to break the time/space continium yet, the Sox should really play out the season, and then if they have a profit just roll the money back into the team. I think that is a great idea. Huh? What's that? They have been doing exactly that forever now? No way!

Dude, didn't you see the 3rd part of that documentary? They built another time machine on a locomotive.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
Because they are in May?

Summer = June, July & August.

Summer runs from June 20something until September 20something. Now meterological summer, well that is a whole other story.

Doesn't KC come to the cell about 9 times a season as well as Tampa and KC both averaging between 90-100 losses. Gotta be the Sox once again trying to screw the fans though. Damn them.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Summer runs from June 20something until September 20something. Now meterological summer, well that is a whole other story.

Doesn't KC come to the cell about 9 times a season as well as Tampa and KC both averaging between 90-100 losses. Gotta be the Sox once again trying to screw the fans though. Damn them.

how many losses has seattle averaged over the last three seasons? 85-90?