Just what BA wanted to hear...

Capn12

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 01:07 AM)
agreed. and Frank Thomas isn't going to hit in '06 cause he can't play.

I disagree with the Dye-Erstad comparison. In fact, any time a Dye-Erstad comparison is brought up, I die a little inside. Dye broke his leg on a foul ball, came back and then made a stupid play and tried to barrel over a catcher and ended up separating his shoulder. He's shown no lingering effects from that at all since it happened. Meanwhile, Erstad has had severe problems with his lower body when asked to play the OF in the past. It cost him time in 2003, I'd assume the same area (though that's probably the wrong thing to do) in 2004, and I think it was the same area that caused him to miss 3/4 of last season too - after he was asked to play the OF again for the first time since (dun dun dun) 2003.

If he can prove he's healthy and he can have a season close to what he put up in 2004 (in the 125 games he played) great, that'd be outstanding for $1 mill. I'm not counting on it personally, but if he can it's better for the Sox.

and Thomas actually had to go through like a crazy treatment where I think they just made like a million microfractures in his foot and it healed up. I'm hoping ptact can help me on this one, as I recall him talking about in not that long ago.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 01:09 AM)
I'm aware that when a Sox player has a bad season, they're the scapegoat for all failures until they happen to have a good season, but I'd say we NEED Pods. None of our outfielders are yet capable of holding down LF for a season. Pods is. He's a necessity if we're to succeed this season, whether people like it or not.

Darin Erstad, Rob Mackowiak, or Ryan Sweeney could handle it just fine and would all almost undoubtedly put up better numbers than Podsednik.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
so the point of this thread is a healthy Pods is a bad thing?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Ozzie Guillen who gave BA a vote of confidence last June when he couldn't get a hit to save his ass and everyone was screaming for him to be sent down?

weird s***.

And then proceeded to platoon him with one of the worst defensive CFers I've ever seen?

some vote of confidence

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 03:01 AM)
so the point of this thread is a healthy Pods is a bad thing?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Ozzie Guillen who gave BA a vote of confidence last June when he couldn't get a hit to save his ass and everyone was screaming for him to be sent down?

weird s***.

The point of this thread is an OF of Erstad/BA/Dye > Erstad/Pods/Dye

Having a LF/CF combo of Erstad and Pods is screaming for defensive difficulty in that area, you know, where lots of right handed hitters pull the ball to. Pods can't throw for hamburgers, and we want him to anchor our CF position? The guy that hasn't had a good read on a flyball since 2003?

Pods makes a great reserve OFer. He can run(in theory), he can spell Erstad because we all know asking Erstad to play 150 games in the OF isn't gonna happen, and he can be a great late game asset.

But fact is, Oz is in love with having his 'grinders' out there in LF and CF.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:48 AM)

Having a LF/CF combo of Erstad and Pods is screaming for defensive difficulty in that area, you know, where lots of right handed hitters pull the ball to. Pods can't throw for hamburgers, and we want him to anchor our CF position? The guy that hasn't had a good read on a flyball since 2003?

Pods makes a great reserve OFer. He can run(in theory), he can spell Erstad because we all know asking Erstad to play 150 games in the OF isn't gonna happen, and he can be a great late game asset.

Uh. Pods isn't going to be anywhere near CF. Erstad would be the CFer

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 06:27 AM)
Is one really any better than the other? Honestly?

Erstad plays a really good CF if he is healthy.

And while we know Gold Gloves aren't the greatest measure of defense, he has won two for outfield play. One in 2000 (for mostly LF and some CF) and one in 2002 for CF. I'm sure he's not as quick as he was in those days, but his instincts have to be pretty darn good.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 03:48 AM)

I agree with Oz. Pods rules.

I think a starting OF of Pods/BA/Dye with Erstad off the bench is a better fit and provides better depth for the '07 season than to trade away or demote BA. BA's the best defensive OF on the roster so why get rid of that, especially when he's starting to show he can hit?

Plus, I don't see Erstad holding up as an everyday player in the OF since he hasn't played it consistently since '03. I see Ozzie plugging Erstad in as a late inning replacement for either Pods or Konerko and starting him once a week to give Pods or Paulie a day off.

Either way, the "Sunday lineup" will look the best it has in a while (Erstad, Mackowiak and Ozuna aren't bad options when Ozzie wants to give the regulars a day off)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 01:17 AM)
and Thomas actually had to go through like a crazy treatment where I think they just made like a million microfractures in his foot and it healed up. I'm hoping ptact can help me on this one, as I recall him talking about in not that long ago.

Thomas actually wasn't healthy and won't be. If you look at his numbers he either hits an HR or a single because he can't run. His doubles and runs scored are a fraction of what they should be due to inability to run. He has just modified his game to be one dimensional. Earlier he wasn't willing to do this and it was understandable. Luckily for him that one dimension is outstanding and will keep him in the game. As for his treatment there was alot of different interventions done to the navicular bone in his foot and it seems to have calmed down the pain enough that he can hit. Although pain killing injections can do wonders.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 05:47 AM)
Erstad plays a really good CF if he is healthy.

And while we know Gold Gloves aren't the greatest measure of defense, he has won two for outfield play. One in 2000 (for mostly LF and some CF) and one in 2002 for CF. I'm sure he's not as quick as he was in those days, but his instincts have to be pretty darn good.

Erstad PLAYED a good CF when he was healthy. But you know that whole thing about how injuries can cost a player a lot of things even if they return fully healed from the injury? Like speed, quickness, strength, etc.?

Erstad last year, even when he was "healthy" was no where near the fielder he was in the OF a couple years ago. He has not been nearly as good in the last 4 years or so, IMO. He is probably still quite a bit better than Mackowiak out there, but he's not going to be anywhere near Anderson out there.

If things go well (and assuming no trades are imminent), Pods will be ready for opening day, Anderson will start in CF, and Erstad with be the 4th OF.

I may be the only one who feels this way, so I'll say it. I have a feeling that, if he does indeed get to start in LF, Pods will have the best year of his career all-around. OBP of .350-.360 with another increase in his walk total, 75-80% SB% by not forcing as often, decent situational hitting, and defense in LF getting a bit closer to average (though as usual his speed has to offset his weak arm and not-great judgement).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
If things go well (and assuming no trades are imminent), Pods will be ready for opening day, Anderson will start in CF, and Erstad with be the 4th OF.

I may be the only one who feels this way, so I'll say it. I have a feeling that, if he does indeed get to start in LF, Pods will have the best year of his career all-around. OBP of .350-.360 with another increase in his walk total, 75-80% SB% by not forcing as often, decent situational hitting, and defense in LF getting a bit closer to average (though as usual his speed has to offset his weak arm and not-great judgement).

I think there's a reasonable chance you'll be right on the 2nd paragraph. But every one of these Ozzie quotes i keep reading in the paper keeps suggesting to me that you're going to be wrong on the first paragraph; if Pods is ready for opening day, it keeps looking more and more to me like Anderson will wind up in the minors and Ozzie will go with Erstad and either Terrero or Perez as his backup OF (depending on that calf strain).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

If everything you wrote comes true that would be ideal.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

I would be estatic if that happened.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Back up the Bus. I never said Ozzie likes young players. I was just trying to show that some young players have been given a chance under his watch.

I really don't believe that Ozzie dislikes BA because he is young. I think he dislikes him because he believes he is lazy and doesn't or didn't want to put in the work to improve. Weather or not BA actually is this way or not I do not know but that is how the situation looks to me.

Even if Anderson is "lazy" and doesn't take his job seriously, he's still the team's best center fielder. Like last season, Guillen is weakening the team by letting personal relationships dictate playing time.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I agree but isn't this pretty much true for most manager's and coaches. If they don't like your work habits, attitude, tlaent or whatever you aren't going to play. This isn't only Ozzie. He seems to give most players a shot before he goes this route. It's up to the player to change what the manager perceives as " the problem." The problem I would have is if Ozzie doesn't communicate to the player what the problem is. But he seems to do that even if people don't always agree with the method. He is the manager, they are the players. Until he is no longer the manager they need to do what he thinks is best.

It's acceptable for person X to error because persons Y and Z errored also?

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)
Even if Anderson is "lazy" and doesn't take his job seriously, he's still the team's best center fielder. Like last season, Guillen is weakening the team by letting personal relationships dictate playing time.

If he's lazy, it's absolutly unacceptable. I'm not sure what kind of team you'd like to see us build -- but a CF who has NEVER prooven himself in the majors has ZERO room to be lazy, EVER.

There is no excuse or arguement you can counter that on, either...so please, do not bother.

If you'd like to build a team of lazy stars...move north.

Herb Brooks, the coach of the amazing 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team said it best, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm lookin' for the right ones." If Brian Anderson is going to be lazy, and not take his job seriously -- no matter how good he CAN be or IS defensivly -- he doesn't belong on this team.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:00 AM)
If he's lazy, it's absolutly unacceptable. I'm not sure what kind of team you'd like to see us build -- but a CF who has NEVER prooven himself in the majors has ZERO room to be lazy, EVER.

There is no excuse or arguement you can counter that on, either...so please, do not bother.

If you'd like to build a team of lazy stars...move north.

Herb Brooks, the coach of the amazing 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team said it best, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm lookin' for the right ones." If Brian Anderson is going to be lazy, and not take his job seriously -- no matter how good he CAN be or IS defensivly -- he doesn't belong on this team.

100% agree.

I think Ozzie actually want this guy to succed and not handing him the starting job is probably the best thing for him. If BA actually is a lazy primadonna he needs a kick in the ass to realize that he needs to work to get the starting job and I think that is what Ozzie is doing.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
100% agree.

I think Ozzie actually want this guy to succed and not handing him the starting job is probably the best thing for him. If BA actually is a lazy primadonna he needs a kick in the ass to realize that he needs to work to get the starting job and I think that is what Ozzie is doing.

So, the guy goes to winterball despite not wanting to because the team asks him to, loses 20 pounds when he contracts a digestive illness, spends the rest of the winter working with Konerko to fix the holes in his swing and regain all the weight he lost, and we're still calling him a "Lazy primadonna"?