Just what BA wanted to hear...

Capn12

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 12:50 AM)
If not sooner. There's still two weeks of spring training.

Pods went 0 for 7 in a minor league game today.

The fan club is currently on hiatus.

Pods was also picked off first base, but ended up stealing second on the pickoff...talk about a bad pickoff.

And the Pods fan club is never on hiatus. NEVER.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

See ya Brian. Considering Ozzie said he'd only make the roster if he's a full-time starter, I hope Anderson is looking for an apartment in Charlotte.

OBP's the last few years.

Erstad

Iguchi

Just what we need. Fewer runners on base for Thome, Dye, and Konerko.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)

Erstad

Iguchi

If we limit his ABs to mostly against righties, I think his OBPs will be right around Iguchi level. Ozzie said he will only put him there against righties but you never know.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)

Erstad

Iguchi

This persistent desire to move Iguchi down in the lineup is the most baffling thing to me about this team's thinking. They were so desperate to do so last year that they fooled themselves into believing (for a while) that Uribe, of all people, would make a good top-of-the-order hitter. I can't think of a single good reason to move him down in the order, but every year...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
This persistent desire to move Iguchi down in the lineup is the most baffling thing to me about this team's thinking. They were so desperate to do so last year that they fooled themselves into believing (for a while) that Uribe, of all people, would make a good top-of-the-order hitter. I can't think of a single good reason to move him down in the order, but every year...

They figure Gooch will be able to utilize his full repertoire more down in the lineup without having to worried about all the responsibilities of a 2-hitter (they always mention the fact that he was a 3-hitter in Japan and wants to try and hit like that over here) so they wanted to move him down.

I'm with you though, I think he's great in the 2-hole and should stay there.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
im in the opinion that Iguchi is one of the bet #2 hitters in the game. Apparently nobody on the White Sox share that opinion.

Well Walk and Ozzie want Gooch to lift and pull more, and you cant do that from the #2 hitting role.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
Well Walk and Ozzie want Gooch to lift and pull more, and you cant do that from the #2 hitting role.

I do believe if you told Walk he wanted people to "pull" he'd say no, he wants them to "drive".

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
I do believe if you told Walk he wanted people to "pull" he'd say no, he wants them to "drive".

Thats semantics in this case. I would rather see a line drive swing and better situational hitting than watching our guys trying to hit cars on the Dan Ryan. You have 3 guys that are our bonified power thumpers. If its 3-1 sure try to drive it to mars, if its late in the game and we need a single to tie it with a man on 2nd I dont see the reasoning in watching a hitter fall over trying to hit the ball onto the concourse instead of putting a good swing on it and putting it into the gap.

The grinder team that this team was patterened after was the Twins. If you get to 2 strikes on a twink and the game is late, the kid may go down, but he will battle your brains out shortening his swing up and trying to put the ball in play. I then see our hitters in the same game with large cuts trying to just murder the baseball. There are times in a game where you should cut down on your swing and put the ball in play and I dont think we preach that at all here. And I think this is why we see year after year some no name nothing 1 hitting our club after 5 innings by pitching us low and away.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
Why don't they leave Gooch in the two hole and just let him play his game. Enough with the smallball.

Its the opposite of smallball. Smallball would be leaving Gooch in the 2 hole because he can hit to the right side well and handles his bat well. They want Gooch to mash the ball and hit cars on the Dan Ryan.

I remember they messed around with Aaron Rowands swing in 2005, that didnt turn out too good for him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Thats semantics in this case. I would rather see a line drive swing and better situational hitting than watching our guys trying to hit cars on the Dan Ryan. You have 3 guys that are our bonified power thumpers. If its 3-1 sure try to drive it to mars, if its late in the game and we need a single to tie it with a man on 2nd I dont see the reasoning in watching a hitter fall over trying to hit the ball onto the concourse instead of putting a good swing on it and putting it into the gap.

The grinder team that this team was patterened after was the Twins. If you get to 2 strikes on a twink and the game is late, the kid may go down, but he will battle your brains out shortening his swing up and trying to put the ball in play. I then see our hitters in the same game with large cuts trying to just murder the baseball. There are times in a game where you should cut down on your swing and put the ball in play and I dont think we preach that at all here. And I think this is why we see year after year some no name nothing 1 hitting our club after 5 innings by pitching us low and away.

We see this year after year and complain about it. What is the coaching staff doing to earn their paycheck because I have seen nothing that tells me that we are breaking that mold. "Ozzieball", "Grinderball", "Smallball", or whatever you want to call it.....it's just a myth.