ARod interview

bkmoney

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2797798

i find this most interesting:

"Either New York is going to kick me out of New York this year, say 'I've had enough of this guy, get him the hell out of here,' and we have an option. Or New York is going to say, 'Hey, we won a world championship, you had a big year, you were a part of it and we want you back.'"

hmm. i heard ozzie and ARod were lovers once, so lets beat the yankees in ALCS then sign ARod.

works for me

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
If he were to leave New York it would it would be to make more money and there is no way we would pay him more money than hes making now.

That's not necessarily the case. He would lose a lot per year by opting out of his deal, but if he opted out with like 3 years left on his deal, and could get another 6-7 year deal out of it at his age, for like $17-$18 mil a year...that piles up the cash even more for him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
That's not necessarily the case. He would lose a lot per year by opting out of his deal, but if he opted out with like 3 years left on his deal, and could get another 6-7 year deal out of it at his age, for like $17-$18 mil a year...that piles up the cash even more for him.

Whatever team pays him that is nuts. Not really the amount per year but the length. Whatever team is paying him 18 million a year when hes in his late 30s is gonna be hurting.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Whatever team pays him that is nuts. Not really the amount per year but the length. Whatever team is paying him 18 million a year when hes in his late 30s is gonna be hurting.

You know full well someone will do it.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Wouldn't be surprised if he reunites with his god-father, Sweet Lou, after this season if he's run out.

I thought about that too but to think the Cubs could afford him with what they paid for Soriano and Lilly is a lot.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
I thought about that too but to think the Cubs could afford him with what they paid for Soriano and Lilly is a lot.

they only have so much money. as u mentioned, they gave all that money to soriano and lilly, but now there going to have to pay big time for zambrano so there is no way they can afford him.

and that would mean ARod's playing SS again after a 4 year period of time away from it. Going back won't be just like magic.

I see KW making a run if he does opt out, but I'm not sure he'd give in to the demands that ARod wants nor would ARod necessarily feel comfortable here. He'd have to have a nice long chat with Ozzie and the two would have to come to terms with their differences, that's for sure.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
and that would mean ARod's playing SS again after a 4 year period of time away from it. Going back won't be just like magic.

I see KW making a run if he does opt out, but I'm not sure he'd give in to the demands that ARod wants nor would ARod necessarily feel comfortable here. He'd have to have a nice long chat with Ozzie and the two would have to come to terms with their differences, that's for sure.

All Ozzie did was remind him that he was an American and if he played for any of the baseball teams, it should be America's team. Not too much to comes to terms with. :usa

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)

I don't believe any American league team which picks him up will be hurting as much as you believe. If he plays 3B or SS for another several years, and remains a tremendous hitter, why should moving to the DH position effect any team? He'll undoubtedly fare much better in the late 30's then, say, Soriano.

Now, any deal with a National League ballclub would be quite different.

People talking about Rodriguez with the Cubs have to remember he's likely switching to SS unless Ramirez or Lee are removed from their positions before the expiration of current contracts. Which I consider unlikely. For the first few seasons I wouldn't expect any problems, but by year three/four I'd be a little concerned if some of his excess weight hadn't been previously shed. Only position to stick an old, possible worn out but still productive Rodriguez is first base. One problem -- who knows what happens with Lee. Would the Cubs like to be in a position where they have to choose between the two?

I mean, really, does anyone foresee the Cubs as having any trouble scoring runs? Soriano and a healthy Lee should atleast improve upon last year's rather dismal run-scoring stats. The Tribune (or whomever owns the Cubs by then) would be better off spending their money on acquiring a legitimate 2B or shortstop whom provides solid defense and some on-base skills. Without the whole 20 million dollar price tag attached. HMM, Iguchi is a free agent next season......

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
You know full well someone will do it.

Soriano is will be getting that type of money into his late 30's and while I think in terms of the contracts that were handed out this year, Soriano's wasn't near as terrible (in comparison with the others) but I'd rather pay Arod that type of money into his late 30's than Soriano considering Arod is the type of guy you can build your lineup around (although you still need a pitching staff; See Texas Rangers).

Not funny.

Ozzie is a player's manager. Particularly a good player's manager.

Picture any situation where Paul Konerko and Ozzie Guillen could be found together. Maybe it's out at U.S. Cellular Field before a game, or maybe it's in the clubhouse after a victory.

If you listen closely enough during these many specific moments shared by this particular duo, the theme music from "The Odd Couple" almost can be heard in the background.

Konerko, 31, has become the face of the White Sox as a competitive unit. He's a quiet leader, an eloquent and articulate speaker, possessing a dry sense of humor.

Guillen, 43, has become the face of the entire organization and one of the most notorious characters in all of baseball. He's boisterous, brutally honest, sometimes profane, and a shoot-from-the-hip entertainer, who leaves very little understated in his brand of comedy.

Yet, the White Sox captain and the White Sox manager have formed an integral bond during the team's high level of success reached over the past three years marking Guillen's tenure. On a personal level, the two seem to be a very unlikely blend, so why has this pairing worked so well together on the South Side?

It's actually a very simple answer. Both are dedicated professionals who love, understand and appreciate the game of baseball. They also hold one overriding goal of winning championships.

"They are both very intelligent guys," said White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker. "Actually, they are both brilliant guys, very smart. They just have completely different personalities."

"I know he has been good for me," added Konerko of working with Guillen. "Look at the years he has been here. It's not a coincidence that my last three years have been my best years with the White Sox. There's no question."

During the 2003 campaign, the season prior to Guillen's hiring as the 37th manager in franchise history, Konerko finished with his worst results as a Major Leaguer. His .234 average, 18 home runs and 65 RBIs arguably stand out as the only subpar numbers in the eight years of All-Star-caliber baseball the first baseman has put up since coming to Chicago via a trade with the Reds.

That troublesome year left Guillen with a few questions about Konerko as he researched his new players after taking over. Guillen recently relayed a story of an early warning he issued to Joey Cora, his newly hired third-base coach, concerning misconceptions relating to the player who eventually would become his extension on the field.

"One of the first things I told Joey when I got this job is we have to keep our eyes on Konerko because what I hear is not good," said Guillen, shaking his head as if he almost couldn't believe doubts existed concerning Konerko's impeccable character. "It's negative. It's selfish. It's all about him.

"All of a sudden, he was the complete opposite of what people told me. I respect the way he goes about his game and respect the game, the way he puts himself in position to respect his teammates and the way they respect him."

When apprised of the incorrect information Guillen received about Konerko, general manager Ken Williams took great umbrage with the selfish characterization and wondered aloud who would ever make such a statement.

"I would classify it as being too hard on himself, thereby taking him away from his ability, but never ever selfishness," said Williams of Konerko. "Ozzie has a way of bringing a certain amount of levity to guys who are struggling.

"Ozzie's coaching staff has all been there, done that, so they understand the players. So, Ozzie has helped him in that way, just as Konerko has helped the entire team other than just with his play on the field."

Konerko's on-field contributions over the past three years certainly shouldn't be overlooked. He has 116 home runs and 330 RBIs during that period, along with a .291 batting average. Konerko also has become an extremely steady defensive presence in the field, a top five American League Most Valuable Player candidate and has missed only 21 games out of a possible 486 during this time frame.

Through his intense preparation and leadership, Konerko sets the clubhouse tone for the team. He was the individual who calmly preached how the White Sox not only would survive their September fade in 2005 but also would be a different team once they clinched the American League Central. A 16-1 finish and the club's first World Series title in nine decades made Konerko a baseball prophet, of sorts.

Making that bold prediction as he did was not exactly going out on a limb for a player who studies all aspects of the game. It was a similar approach taken by Guillen as a player.

But where Guillen always was as loose as he is presently, Konerko not only was his own worst critic but also a much harder judge than he ever needed to be. That approach changed almost immediately after Guillen became manager.

"I remember the first Spring Training with Ozzie," Konerko said. "He came up to me and said, 'Listen, this is the way you have to do it. Otherwise, you won't survive in this game for a long time. You can't just keep killing yourself.' It's a good match for me. He knows when I'm ready to go off the deep end and kind of brings me back."

"He's a real leader, and the good thing is he's the same guy day in and day out," added Guillen of Konerko. "Is he too hard on himself some days? Yes. So, it's my job to make him smile. I think maybe that's why we get along real well."

Guillen compares Konerko to Robin Ventura, one of Guillen's favorite teammates from his playing days in Chicago and still one of his favorite people. Konerko is quiet, according to Guillen, but "every time he says something, it's funny."

"We have different personalities, but we almost have the same attitude," Guillen said.

Thoughts of these personality differences caused Guillen to laugh when asked if he ever could see himself hanging out with Konerko on a daily basis. Guillen said a round of golf and a few drinks was the more likely scenario.

Then again, Guillen has nothing but the utmost respect for his team captain. It might explain why a somewhat emotional Guillen explained to the media how happy he was to have Konerko return via a five-year, $60 million contract as a free agent, because Guillen wanted to watch Konerko's family grow.

Their personalities rank on opposite ends of the outgoing spectrum, but much like the television show of the same, this "Odd Couple" should run successfully for many years to come. And as Konerko astutely points out, whether he's quiet or not, almost nobody can match Guillen's energy.

"From the fans' perspective, they think Ozzie has an on and off switch," Konerko said. "But he does not. He's on all the time. You can wake him up in the middle of the night and you are going to get Ozzie. What you see around the field, he's like that with his family, at a restaurant, on the plane and anywhere you find him. He's that much of a maniac all the time.

"That's why he can hack it. I changed some things because of him and it's for the good. How I approach the day, he's made it easier for me to play the game and get through the season. He really helped my mental approach."

"I felt like he didn't protect me," Zito said. "I know a lot of managers do -- Paul Konerko told me that Ozzie Guillen would take a bullet for his players."

Guillen would be like Lou II for Alex Rodriguez.

Picture any situation where Paul Konerko and Ozzie Guillen could be found together. Maybe it's out at U.S. Cellular Field before a game, or maybe it's in the clubhouse after a victory.

If you listen closely enough during these many specific moments shared by this particular duo, the theme music from "The Odd Couple" almost can be heard in the background.

Konerko, 31, has become the face of the White Sox as a competitive unit. He's a quiet leader, an eloquent and articulate speaker, possessing a dry sense of humor.

Guillen, 43, has become the face of the entire organization and one of the most notorious characters in all of baseball. He's boisterous, brutally honest, sometimes profane, and a shoot-from-the-hip entertainer, who leaves very little understated in his brand of comedy.

Yet, the White Sox captain and the White Sox manager have formed an integral bond during the team's high level of success reached over the past three years marking Guillen's tenure. On a personal level, the two seem to be a very unlikely blend, so why has this pairing worked so well together on the South Side?

It's actually a very simple answer. Both are dedicated professionals who love, understand and appreciate the game of baseball. They also hold one overriding goal of winning championships.

"They are both very intelligent guys," said White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker. "Actually, they are both brilliant guys, very smart. They just have completely different personalities."

"I know he has been good for me," added Konerko of working with Guillen. "Look at the years he has been here. It's not a coincidence that my last three years have been my best years with the White Sox. There's no question."

During the 2003 campaign, the season prior to Guillen's hiring as the 37th manager in franchise history, Konerko finished with his worst results as a Major Leaguer. His .234 average, 18 home runs and 65 RBIs arguably stand out as the only subpar numbers in the eight years of All-Star-caliber baseball the first baseman has put up since coming to Chicago via a trade with the Reds.

That troublesome year left Guillen with a few questions about Konerko as he researched his new players after taking over. Guillen recently relayed a story of an early warning he issued to Joey Cora, his newly hired third-base coach, concerning misconceptions relating to the player who eventually would become his extension on the field.

"One of the first things I told Joey when I got this job is we have to keep our eyes on Konerko because what I hear is not good," said Guillen, shaking his head as if he almost couldn't believe doubts existed concerning Konerko's impeccable character. "It's negative. It's selfish. It's all about him.

"All of a sudden, he was the complete opposite of what people told me. I respect the way he goes about his game and respect the game, the way he puts himself in position to respect his teammates and the way they respect him."

When apprised of the incorrect information Guillen received about Konerko, general manager Ken Williams took great umbrage with the selfish characterization and wondered aloud who would ever make such a statement.

"I would classify it as being too hard on himself, thereby taking him away from his ability, but never ever selfishness," said Williams of Konerko. "Ozzie has a way of bringing a certain amount of levity to guys who are struggling.

"Ozzie's coaching staff has all been there, done that, so they understand the players. So, Ozzie has helped him in that way, just as Konerko has helped the entire team other than just with his play on the field."

Konerko's on-field contributions over the past three years certainly shouldn't be overlooked. He has 116 home runs and 330 RBIs during that period, along with a .291 batting average. Konerko also has become an extremely steady defensive presence in the field, a top five American League Most Valuable Player candidate and has missed only 21 games out of a possible 486 during this time frame.

Through his intense preparation and leadership, Konerko sets the clubhouse tone for the team. He was the individual who calmly preached how the White Sox not only would survive their September fade in 2005 but also would be a different team once they clinched the American League Central. A 16-1 finish and the club's first World Series title in nine decades made Konerko a baseball prophet, of sorts.

Making that bold prediction as he did was not exactly going out on a limb for a player who studies all aspects of the game. It was a similar approach taken by Guillen as a player.

But where Guillen always was as loose as he is presently, Konerko not only was his own worst critic but also a much harder judge than he ever needed to be. That approach changed almost immediately after Guillen became manager.

"I remember the first Spring Training with Ozzie," Konerko said. "He came up to me and said, 'Listen, this is the way you have to do it. Otherwise, you won't survive in this game for a long time. You can't just keep killing yourself.' It's a good match for me. He knows when I'm ready to go off the deep end and kind of brings me back."

"He's a real leader, and the good thing is he's the same guy day in and day out," added Guillen of Konerko. "Is he too hard on himself some days? Yes. So, it's my job to make him smile. I think maybe that's why we get along real well."

Guillen compares Konerko to Robin Ventura, one of Guillen's favorite teammates from his playing days in Chicago and still one of his favorite people. Konerko is quiet, according to Guillen, but "every time he says something, it's funny."

"We have different personalities, but we almost have the same attitude," Guillen said.

Thoughts of these personality differences caused Guillen to laugh when asked if he ever could see himself hanging out with Konerko on a daily basis. Guillen said a round of golf and a few drinks was the more likely scenario.

Then again, Guillen has nothing but the utmost respect for his team captain. It might explain why a somewhat emotional Guillen explained to the media how happy he was to have Konerko return via a five-year, $60 million contract as a free agent, because Guillen wanted to watch Konerko's family grow.

Their personalities rank on opposite ends of the outgoing spectrum, but much like the television show of the same, this "Odd Couple" should run successfully for many years to come. And as Konerko astutely points out, whether he's quiet or not, almost nobody can match Guillen's energy.

"From the fans' perspective, they think Ozzie has an on and off switch," Konerko said. "But he does not. He's on all the time. You can wake him up in the middle of the night and you are going to get Ozzie. What you see around the field, he's like that with his family, at a restaurant, on the plane and anywhere you find him. He's that much of a maniac all the time.

"That's why he can hack it. I changed some things because of him and it's for the good. How I approach the day, he's made it easier for me to play the game and get through the season. He really helped my mental approach."

"I felt like he didn't protect me," Zito said. "I know a lot of managers do -- Paul Konerko told me that Ozzie Guillen would take a bullet for his players."

You know, given the media focus...this is starting to sound like it could get ugly. The GM is chiming in on this, and it's only ST. They're just going to keep this up the whole year, aren't they.

Alex Rodriguez will inspire a bidding frenzy if he opts out of his $252 million contract at the end of the season, with the Angels perhaps first in line. But Yankees general manager Brian Cashman made clear in an interview on Tuesday that Rodriguez's current team will not chase A-Rod and will not be part of any bidding war.

"He has a significant contract as it is," Cashman told SI.com. "So I don't anticipate any dialogue regarding an extension."

In other words, Cashman is leaving the ball in A-Rod's court. If Rodriguez wants to remain a Yankee and keep the $81 million and three years remaining on his contract, he can do that. But if he wants to forego that $81 million to seek even greater riches, that's his choice, too. He just won't be getting those extra riches in pinstripes -- at least not this winter.

"I hope he stays," Cashman says. "He knows how I feel about him."