Sox Make Moves

Heads22

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Prior to Wednesday's spring training game vs. Milwaukee, the Chicago White Sox made the following 14 roster moves:

• C Cole Armstrong, RHP Lance Broadway, C Donny Lucy, LHP Corwin Malone, INF Junior Spivey and LHP Wes Whisler were reassigned to minor-league camp;

• INF Andy Gonzalez, INF Pedro Lopez, LHP Heath Phillips, LHP Paulino Reynoso and INF Casey Rogowski were optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

• RHP Dewon Day, RHP Oneli Perez and LHP Carlos Vasquez were optioned to Class AA Birmingham

With the moves, the White Sox have 40 players remaining in camp: 18 pitchers, four catchers, 10 infielders and eight outfielders.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
They are prospects in the loosest sense of the word.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I beg to differ. Ask some of your cronies about Heath Phillips--the lefty that the White Sox will regret trading despite his blatant roadblock to a White Sox roster spot. :stick

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I beg to differ. Ask some of your cronies about Heath Phillips--the lefty that the White Sox will regret trading despite his blatant roadblock to a White Sox roster spot. :stick

I think most of us want him traded so he can actually get a shot.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
Trading prospects!? You can't do that.

That's blasphemous around these parts.

Oh man not the great Wes Whisler, or our next cather Don Lucy! Please say it isn't so. heath Phillips didn't make it either? Heath is taking the Ross Gload path to the majors. Maybe the Royals will take him.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Oh man not the great Wes Whisler, or our next cather Don Lucy! Please say it isn't so. heath Phillips didn't make it either? Heath is taking the Ross Gload path to the majors. Maybe the Royals will take him.

Oh man not the great [fringe prospect from Minnesota], or our next cather [fringe prospect from Detroit]! Please say it isn't so. [fringe prospect from Cleveland] didn't make it either? [fringe prospect] is taking the Ross Gload path to the majors. Maybe the Royals will take him.

None of the guys you mentioned, aside from Phillips, will likely ever touch make the majors.

So yeah, those minor leaguers do suck if that's what you're talking about.

• C Cole Armstrong, RHP Lance Broadway, C Donny Lucy, LHP Corwin Malone, INF Junior Spivey and LHP Wes Whisler were reassigned to minor-league camp;

• INF Andy Gonzalez, INF Pedro Lopez, LHP Heath Phillips, LHP Paulino Reynoso and INF Casey Rogowski were optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

• RHP Dewon Day, RHP Oneli Perez and LHP Carlos Vasquez were optioned to Class AA Birmingham

bold = players that have MLB potential to actually make an impact.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
Oh man not the great [fringe prospect from Minnesota], or our next cather [fringe prospect from Detroit]! Please say it isn't so. [fringe prospect from Cleveland] didn't make it either? [fringe prospect] is taking the Ross Gload path to the majors. Maybe the Royals will take him.

None of the guys you mentioned, aside from Phillips, will likely ever touch make the majors.

So yeah, those minor leaguers do suck if that's what you're talking about.

good for you , you tell me who will make it. Put it in writing and give me the year.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
good for you , you tell me who will make it. Put it in writing and give me the year.

Ryan Sweeney probably 2008

John Danks either 2007 or 2008

Josh Fields 2008

Charlie Haeger will make appearances this year, and could be a member of the pitching staff full time by 2008

Brian Anderson will be this year, be it in April or June-July.

If Gio Gonzalez makes it, it'll be 2008-2009, depending upon how his control comes along

Heath Phillips could very easily be a #5 starter or a LH reliever for a major league team this year, but it's not the White Sox

Broadway could be up at some point this year if injuries arise, or he could be shipped off in a trade somewhere. He could also win a spot in the rotation next year, but I just don't see that happening for some reason.

Masset will likely be a reliever for his entire tenure in Chicago, but there is still the thought that he can be a starter. It's not likely, but possible. Regardless of whether he is or isn't, he'll be in Chicago at some point in time this year, very likely as a reliever.

Sisco could start for the team come 2008 as well and if not, he will be a useful reliever.

those are my best guesses as far as those players are concerned, and I can make other guesses if you wish. I don't claim to be a minor league expert but it's pretty easy to see how these guys shape up just by reading around.

The Sox system isn't hobos and talentless bums. There are quite a few good pitchers in the minors now, and the few hitters the Sox do have aren't bad. Anderson will probably never hit .300, but Torii Hunter lite could be an expectation at some point in his career; Ryan Sweeney likely will hit .300 and he could do it quite a few times along with some decent power; Josh Fields has 30 homer power, the only concern right now is contact rate.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)

Wes Whisler needs a bold if thats your criteria.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)

Why not Spivey? I wasn't sure about him but I was just curious of your reasoning of not bolding him.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
Why not Spivey? I wasn't sure about him but I was just curious of your reasoning of not bolding him.

He said "MLB potential" which probably means the prospects who have a chance to make impacts even though I understand your reasoning. I didn't agree with some of his bolding eigher.