Vacation/State Park question

Soxy

So, my sister and I are thinking of going on vacation to a cool state park this summer. Do you guys have any recommendations for a beautiful park to visit?

I'm trying to remember the name of this one park with lots of caverns and caves and pretty rock formations and stuff. I think it is in KY or TN? Maybe? Or AK?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
So, my sister and I are thinking of going on vacation to a cool state park this summer. Do you guys have any recommendations for a beautiful park to visit?

I'm trying to remember the name of this one park with lots of caverns and caves and pretty rock formations and stuff. I think it is in KY or TN? Maybe? Or AK?

If you're looking for a cave complex in that area, the biggest and most well known one is the Mammoth Cave National Park in KY. Biggest known cave complex in the world i believe.

Here is the website for State Parks in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ark-Kansas.

Edited by Balta1701

Mammoth Caves is awesome. We went in 04 for a 4 day weekend over the 4th of July and had a great time. They have a ton of different tours and opportunities for stuff to do. There are also multiple other caves in the general area that are worth checking out. If you want more info, let me know and I can pass on some ideas and suggestions for you.

if i could recommend one in ohio, i'd say old man's cave is a really good one. great hiking in that area, and very scenic at points. it's about an hour and a half southeast of columbus.

there are also some excellent and affordable rental cottages in the area that are nice. very good variety.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
One question Soxy, where you guys are, have you done the Canadian side of Niagra Falls before? I would recommend that over a cave trip, if you haven't done either.

I've done it, but my sister hasn't. I might make her do that when she's up here (only a three hour drive)--but she'll have to get a passport first too. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
I've done it, but my sister hasn't. I might make her do that when she's up here (only a three hour drive)--but she'll have to get a passport first too. . .

Well that could be worth it if it works out, if not Mammoth Caves are great, and pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)

You don't need a passport to drive into Canada until January 2008. Though on returning to the States she'll need to show a birth certificate and driver's license. A passport is a good idea, but if she doesn't obtain one by your planned departure date, don't let it cancel your trip.

I hear Illinois's own Starved Rock is a romantic getaway. You might want to look in to that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
Joshua Tree, but again NOT in the summer.

I did a 6 hour mountain bike ride in Joshua tree in the summer about 6 years ago (when I was in far better shape) and after that ride I seriously thought I was going to die (it was a zillion degrees out and it was for boyscouts...about halfway through we were all wondering why in the hell we decided to do this).

However Joshua tree is an awesome place as long as you go in the spring (before it gets ridiculously hot). You can go hiking and climbing all over the place and you can also rock climb. Very cool park.

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
You don't need a passport to drive into Canada until January 2008. Though on returning to the States she'll need to show a birth certificate and driver's license. A passport is a good idea, but if she doesn't obtain one by your planned departure date, don't let it cancel your trip.

I hear Illinois's own Starved Rock is a romantic getaway. You might want to look in to that.

Is that new? I know I went in and out of Canada a few years back and never even had to show a drivers license.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
She is not required to have a passport to go to the Canadian side of the falls until at least January 1. However, a birth certificate would be required otherwise.

Is that all of Canada or just Niagra Falls?

I thought you had to have a passport no matter what now? Or do you have to have a passport to get back into the states? There's something weird about it and I don't remember what it is.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Is that all of Canada or just Niagra Falls?

I thought you had to have a passport no matter what now? Or do you have to have a passport to get back into the states? There's something weird about it and I don't remember what it is.

I think right now it is just for flying IIRC.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
I think right now it is just for flying IIRC.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

* Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

* As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.