KW blows his stack

Al Lopez's Ghost

Good for Kenny. I like that he is honest with the kids, he wants them to learn from their mistakes, and he didn't call the kid out to the media.

I really, really, really, think this kid needs to be broken down and rebuilt like he would if he were going into the military. He just needs to pitch, and I think working as a starter in Charlotte will do him a world of good as he would have to concentrate on his secondary pitches, location, mechanics etc, where as out of the pen in Chicago, his outings would be so erratic, he wouldn't have a chance to fix his problems in real time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
Good for Kenny. I like that he is honest with the kids, he wants them to learn from their mistakes, and he didn't call the kid out to the media.

I really, really, really, think this kid needs to be broken down and rebuilt like he would if he were going into the military. He just needs to pitch, and I think working as a starter in Charlotte will do him a world of good as he would have to concentrate on his secondary pitches, location, mechanics etc, where as out of the pen in Chicago, his outings would be so erratic, he wouldn't have a chance to fix his problems in real time.

problem the sox have is they cannot bring him in with bases laoded and two outs, because its 50-50 on whether he will throw a strike, but I like him to start an inning where there will be two lefties coming up. Some guys will always be wild, this may be the case with Sisco, but if used in the right situation (non pressure) he can help. used in the wrong situation, well he will be picking up the practice balls in AAA.

For a team that supposedly came into camp "hungry", with Cooper getting pissed and now KW, it seems peculiar. At least none of this counts yet. It appears the poor pitching is starting to grate on the organization though. Hopefully some of KW's acquisitions can help in 2007 or we may see a firesale at the trade deadline.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
For a team that supposedly came into camp "hungry", with Cooper getting pissed and now KW, it seems peculiar. At least none of this counts yet. It appears the poor pitching is starting to grate on the organization though. Hopefully some of KW's acquisitions can help in 2007 or we may see a firesale at the trade deadline.

of course we will see a fire sale. he cannot come out and say that because it will anger the season ticket holders, but it will happen unless we are in first place. at all star break. Fortunately for sox fans and management we know what it takes to be a World series contender or playoff team. We knew last year we didn't have it, we will know this year as well.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
of course we will see a fire sale. he cannot come out and say that because it will anger the season ticket holders, but it will happen unless we are in first place. at all star break. Fortunately for sox fans and management we know what it takes to be a World series contender or playoff team. We knew last year we didn't have it, we will know this year as well.

Given that we have 2 really big quality guys hitting the FA market at the end of this season, if we're 5+ games out of first at the AS break, a fire sale certainly doesn't seem like a terrible idea if it brings back good people.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
problem the sox have is they cannot bring him in with bases laoded and two outs, because its 50-50 on whether he will throw a strike, but I like him to start an inning where there will be two lefties coming up. Some guys will always be wild, this may be the case with Sisco, but if used in the right situation (non pressure) he can help. used in the wrong situation, well he will be picking up the practice balls in AAA.

If they really want the kid to realize his potential, and not sacrifice it for short-term gain like KC did, they will buy the kid a plane ticket to North Carolina, at least for a while.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Given that we have 2 really big quality guys hitting the FA market at the end of this season, if we're 5+ games out of first at the AS break, a fire sale certainly doesn't seem like a terrible idea if it brings back good people.

completely agree, so when KW says they are not rebuilding tkae it with a grain of salt. They do have a plan though.

If we aren't in contention, I would totally be in favor of getting what we can for guys that aren't going to be with us in the near future anyway. Someone might blow us away and make us a better team for a decade.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
Someone might blow us away and make us a better team for a decade.

Problem is I cannot think of a single trade of the many Kenny has made that blew anybody away. They usually seem almost too fair. I'd luv to see it happen where it looks like we're truly coming out on top, but that's what scares me about trading any of our elite players.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)

Good call--that is kinda weird.

How do we stack up vs. 2005 for ST record? That's what I'd like to know.

Of course, I'm a masochist of sorts: even back in 2005 and definitely in 2006 I was saying I'd rather have Cleveland's 2005 season then another '05 slide at the last month (although it all worked out) or '06 kickass 1st half offset by a sub-.500 2nd half and slow death during September.

In other words: I really don't care what happens (but of course I want to win) until 2nd half, as long as we're still in the race. If memory serves we were 26 games over .500 at the break last year and then went something like 13 games under for the second half.

So what happens in spring training? Really not much concern to me. I'd rather get all the bad hitting, bad pitching and bad fielding out of the way now.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)

if i remember correctly, that was the same rap that Thornton had coming over from Seattle. It may take a little while but hopefully Coop can straighten out Sisco just like Thornton.

QUOTE(juddling @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
if i remember correctly, that was the same rap that Thornton had coming over from Seattle. It may take a little while but hopefully Coop can straighten out Sisco just like Thornton.

I was at spring training right after Thornton came to the Sox. I didn't know anything about him and didn't even realize they brought him in the game I was at. I sat behind the plate among about a dozen scouts with radar guns. Matt has such a fluid motion that you would think the ball would come in about 90 mph tops. Every fastball came in between 95 and 97 mph (and eventually hit 99 during the season). I overheard the scouts talking to each other saying the Sox got a steal. I truly believe Sisco is going to be a steal when it's all said and done. He actually pitched very well in 2005 and had a horrible 2006. You know the talent is there and he's been effective before. I think just being around Thornton and Cooper is really going to straighten out his mechanics as they're pretty similar pitchers (tall, hard throwing lefties). With Matt, it was as simple as extending his stride and slotting his arm angle properly. I hope history repeats itself.

Realistically, you figure we'll receive three compensation picks; perhaps four if both Dye and Buehrle have great seasons. These many draft picks in the early rounds shouldn't be overlooked unless both players were to give us an obvious advantage through trade. Problem is, these last two summers, how many true blockbusters have occured? One or two? People just don't seem to remember all the discussions around here about general managers asking the moon for 1/2 year rental players.

I know members have hounded me about this in the past, (including you several days ago :P ) but I rather our team be within 5 games of first place/wild card or completely out of it (ie, 10 games). No where in between. The problem I foresee, if it doesn't fall within those parameters, is local media members and the baseball retarded bringing up talks of how Cleveland and Houston overcame their odds. Or the dreaded words, White Flag trade.

I honestly believe we'll be 7 games out come midseason. Just to annoy the hell out of me. If it were to occur, you'll hear everything I'm mentioning here and more. People saying "sell," others suggesting players with poor first halves could turn it around. Hopefully Williams will know what's best if worst comes to worst.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Realistically, you figure we'll receive three compensation picks; perhaps four if both Dye and Buehrle have great seasons. These many draft picks in the early rounds shouldn't be overlooked unless both players were to give us an obvious advantage through trade. Problem is, these last two summers, how many true blockbusters have occured? One or two? People just don't seem to remember all the discussions around here about general managers asking the moon for 1/2 year rental players.

I know people have hounded me on this belief in the past, (including you several days ago :P ) but I rather our team be within 5 games of first place/wild card or completely out of it (ie, 10 games). No where in between. The problem I foresee is local media members and the baseball retarded bringing up talks of how Cleveland and Houston overcame their odds. Or the dreaded words, White Flag trade.

I honestly believe we'll be 7 games out come midseason. Just to annoy the hell out of me. If it were to occur, you'll hear everything I'm mentioning here and more. People saying "sell," others suggesting players with first bad halves could turn it around.

You do have a point on pretty much all of those. If you're giving up Dye or Buehrle, you have to be getting talent back that is more valuable than 2 top-level draft picks, and that means you need to get back 2 players who are on the cusp. I just hope that if we do wind up in a sellers position, we find someone who's really wanting to make this year be the year. There are some teams that would match up really well with Buehrle or Dye who have talent they could offer up (Angels, Dodgers, Mets come to mind immediately)

I'm just going to throw this out to everyone -- what do you believe wouldl happen if our record this season is -- as BP predicted -- 72 - 90?

It'd just be interesting to me because I don't believe there's any question our payroll would drop. I'm not talking a substantial decrease, either. Just maybe 10-15 million. Not enough to cry poor, but enough to completely alter our offseason.

Is Iguchi resigned? Is Ichiro pursued? I know the posts I've made concerning a run at Ichiro have assumed the payroll remains over 100 million. What about Crede? Hell, he may be traded even with a World Series victory.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
I'm just going to throw this out to everyone -- what do you believe wouldl happen if our record this season is -- as BP predicted -- 72 - 90?

It'd just be interesting to me because I don't believe there's any question our payroll would drop. I'm not talking a substantial decrease, either. Just maybe 10-15 million. Not enough to cry poor, but enough to completely alter our offseason.

Is Iguchi resigned? Is Ichiro pursued? I know the posts I've made concerning a run at Ichiro have assumed the payroll remains over 100 million. What about Crede? Hell, he may be traded even with a World Series victory.

Iguchi may be re-signed depending on what other teams offer.

No way we sign Ichiro. I don't see KW tying up 1/5 of the payroll to one player.

As to your points in the previous post. I read some info about how the compensation picks changed with the new CBA. How will that effect players such as MB and JD vs. Iguchi?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)

Signing Ichiro might be the happiest any signing could ever make me. Everybody agrees he's an amazing player, but even beyond that, he's by far my favorite non-sox player to watch play. If I were ever to buy a non-sox jersey, it would be his. And if he were to join the sox.............................

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
As to your points in the previous post. I read some info about how the compensation picks changed with the new CBA. How will that effect players such as MB and JD vs. Iguchi?

Balta posted it before. I'm too lazy to search for it again.

Basically, no compensation is given for Class "C" free agents; and the amount of players considered "A" or "B" decreases by 10-20%.

It shouldn't effect Dye, Buehrle, or Iguchi unless they're right on the cusp of A/B or B/C.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
It shouldn't effect Dye, Buehrle, or Iguchi unless they're right on the cusp of A/B or B/C.

David Riske would have been a class A free agent last year I'm told. All of those guys should be squarely in teh A category.

Link.

Some changes have been made to the draft-pick compensation afforded teams which lose major league free agents. Type C free agents have been eliminated, while teams that lose Type B free agents, which had previously received a pick from the signing club, will now get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds. (This was pursued by the union to remove the disincentive for teams to sign those players.) Those changes go into effect immediately.

The number of players deemed Type A and B has been tweaked as well. Type A free agents, whose former team continues to receive a first- or second-round pick from the signing club as well as an extra pick between the first and second rounds, will be reduced from the 30 percent of players (as determined by a statistical formula) to 20; the Type B band is reduced from 31-50 percent to 21-40.

He should be starting down in Charlotte anyways, and that's how I've felt about the situation all along.

Sign a veteran lefty reliever. Anyone who's out there. Hell trade Mackowiak for a decent one, if there's one available.

Long - term Sisco is going to be a starter anyway, and not a situational lefty reliever, so we might as well start that process.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
David Riske would have been a class A free agent last year I'm told. All of those guys should be squarely in teh A category.

Link.

Thanks to the change in the ratings, Buehrle would fall right on the A/B border based on his last two seasons. And since 2005 will be wiped from the books as far as the Elias ratings are concerned, Buehrle will probably have to match his 2005 stats/performance to remain a type A.

In other words, expect Buehrle to be a Type B free agent, and thus more expensive on the market.