What the hell is wrong with "people"???

Kid Gleason

Gotcha

A 24-year-old man has been arrested, suspected of cutting the head off of a 17-year-old girl's pet dog and leaving it at her front door in a gift-wrapped box.

The man, who is expected to be arraigned Friday, was being held on suspicion of terrorist threats. Police said he may be charged with animal cruelty.

Police said the man they arrested lived a few blocks from Crystal and may have had a romantic interest in the girl.

The case drew widespread media attention. The television show "America's Most Wanted" posted the case on its Web site, and donations pushed a $2,500 reward offered by the Humane Society of the United States to $20,000.

I still dont get the implication of terrorist threats. I want the guy to get put away for something(even though it probably wont be much because pets are considered property), but terrorist threats seems a stretch. Somebody far smarter than me will probably explain it though, :D

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:45 AM)
Gotcha

I still dont get the implication of terrorist threats. I want the guy to get put away for something(even though it probably wont be much because pets are considered property), but terrorist threats seems a stretch. Somebody far smarter than me will probably explain it though, :D

Terrorism laws at the state level, written a long time ago, are different than people think. Think of it as, "what is the goal of terror?" Its fear of unknown peril. This guy cuts the head off a dog and leaves it for the girl, who he had a romantic interest in. What does that say? It says, "this could be you". Its not assault because its not direct harm to the target. No threat was made in a direct enough fashion for assault on the girl to fit. But terror fits.

What I don't get is, they are saying he "may" also be charged with animal cruelty. May?! How is that NOT animal cruelty?

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
winnar.

Someone's playing head games with the owner.

Oh, that's soooo bad. :chair ;)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
What I don't get is, they are saying he "may" also be charged with animal cruelty. May?! How is that NOT animal cruelty?

Just a stab in the dark: Maybe they have to prove the dog was alive when he found it. If it was already dead and he cut the head off...that's not animal cruelty.

The sicko who did this needs to be locked up forever. That kind of cruelty to animals shows that the guy is a complete sociopath. It's also the sort of behavior that a lot of serial killers showed before they moved up to killing people, IIRC.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:45 AM)
Gotcha

A love story gone bad? shocker.

The dog thing was bad enough, but he's a 24 year old chasing a 17 year old.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
And icky in all states.

And common up until about 150 years ago. I wonder what changed to have that shift. I agree it seemed weird. But of course what is weird is always based on our societal views of "normal".

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
And common up until about 150 years ago. I wonder what changed to have that shift. I agree it seemed weird. But of course what is weird is always based on our societal views of "normal".

To hazzard a guess, I would say the change was education. More women started staying in school longer and getting their own careers. I would also say it was common up until WWI.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
To hazzard a guess, I would say the change was education. More women started staying in school longer and getting their own careers. I would also say it was common up until WWI.

And lifespan.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
thats legal in some states. :ph34r:

I believe Illinois is one of them. I think in Illinois youre an adult at 17.

quick edit. maybe not in IL but I could swear it used to be. Or those police officers were just trying to scare me straight

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
17 year olds look like they are in their mid 20's nowadays though.

True, but still 17 mentally.

What's crazy is that those 15 and 16 year olds getting married way back when probably looked like 12 and 13 year olds nowadays.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
I believe Illinois is one of them. I think in Illinois youre an adult at 17.

quick edit. maybe not in IL but I could swear it used to be. Or those police officers were just trying to scare me straight

I thought somebody else on here said the age of consent was 17 in Illinois and posted a link, but I'm not sure.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
True, but still 17 mentally.

What's crazy is that those 15 and 16 year olds getting married way back when probably looked like 12 and 13 year olds nowadays.

I thought somebody else on here said the age of consent was 17 in Illinois and posted a link, but I'm not sure.

Yes, the age of consent in Illinois is 17. The law is @ that page.

Interestingly, I just also learned that adultery is a "Class A Misdemeanor". For reference, exposing yourself to a child is also a Class A Misdemeanor. Fascinating.