Darin Erstad article on yahoo sports

drowninginflame

King of pain

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports

March 15, 2007

Tim Brown

Yahoo! Sports

SURPRISE, Ariz. – Darin Erstad was going on about the wonder of his little girl taking her first solo steps this week, how he stood back and counted each trembling stride, "One, two, three, four, five … ."

He sighed.

"Amazing," he said, sweetly. "It was great."

He was so pleased to have been given a moment that will never pass, and then reminded of the triumph of upright (if somewhat wobbly) self propulsion, the effort of getting off the floor and getting on with life.

Really, the timing could hardly have been better, as now they enter the baseball season as a father-daughter tandem, one foot pushing ahead of the other, Darin working just a bit harder than she will to get into the right-center-field gap.

"Things happen, you know," he said. "I'm not going to second-guess anything. It's just the path I was chosen to have. And whatever it is, it is. I couldn't have had a better time in Anaheim. I loved it. When I said I wanted to spend the rest of my career there, I meant it. But, it didn't work out that way. You move on."

An Angel for long enough to play in three geographical designations – California, Anaheim, Los Angeles – Erstad took his opening step toward the uncharted in early October. He'd undergone ankle surgery at the end of a season in which he'd managed only 95 at-bats, batted .221, gone homerless, and watched his friends and teammates lose touch with the Oakland Athletics in the middle of September.

His Angels had other plans for center field and first base, and there was no guarantee that Erstad – the man who'd gotten behind and pushed a World Series championship and two division title winners in the past five seasons – would ever be that Erstad again. Plus, he had this right ankle to deal with, a hard cast to lug around, a few hundred hours of rehabilitation ahead.

On some of those mornings, he admitted, retirement sounded pretty good, even at 32. So much of his game was in his feet, in the way he wouldn't budge on anything, ever. And now he was just trying to maneuver the front steps without tumbling into the driveway and getting run over by the newspaper delivery truck.

"It crossed my mind," he said. "During the winter, I didn't know. They tell you they fixed as much as they could and just hoped that would do the trick. After a couple months, the doctors said to start running on it and see how you feel. There were some iffy days in there where I wondered, but I just kept grinding it out and eventually it started to feel good."

More than five months later, Erstad is running again, just as he always did – elbows out, shoulders hunched, face burning red – and by appearances directly into the Chicago White Sox's starting lineup.

He's batting .351. It's not the number, though. It's the significance of it, and the 37 pain-free at-bats he's taken. He's healthy for the first time in a year, and the White Sox need him.

"Aaron Rowand gave us an edge two years ago," general manager Kenny Williams said. "That grinder effect, if you will. We missed it last year. I've always thought that Aaron Rowand and Darin Erstad were the poster children for that style of play."

In the season after the White Sox won their World Series and held their parade, there were times the edgiest guy in their dugout was the manager. Plenty of times, actually.

"A lot of people say, 'Oh, he plays hard,'" Ozzie Guillen said. "No, that's the way people should be playing the game. If half the players played the game the way he does, this game would be more fun."

So, Erstad may still be the second-edgiest guy in the White Sox dugout. He took a $1 million contract – with a chance to make $5 million more – to come and save their outfield situation to Jermaine Dye's right, one in which Scott Podsednik is just now back on the field after hernia surgery and Brian Anderson had a fairly disastrous rookie season.

He's been playing center field and batting lead off, playing more than anybody, chasing the final few inches of recovery, and, honestly, feeling pretty good about it. He chose the White Sox over a hard free-agency push from the Florida Marlins to be right here, in the game again.

"I have a lot to prove," Erstad said. "I've got to prove that I can do this still. That's all the motivation that I need."

To whom, exactly?

"To myself," he said. "I've had a lot of injury problems. I've worked hard. Just prove to myself I can do it. Again, it boils down to looking yourself in the mirror and being able to live the rest of your life knowing you gave it everything you had."

It'll start, presumably, the same way every day. With the first few steps toward doing what he does.

One, two, three, four, five…

Tim Brown is a national baseball writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Tim a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

"Aaron Rowand gave us an edge two years ago," general manager Kenny Williams said. "That grinder effect, if you will. We missed it last year. I've always thought that Aaron Rowand and Darin Erstad were the poster children for that style of play."

Please tell me Williams doesn't believe what he says here. What the f*** is a grinder effect? Was the absence of it last season responsible for the ERA's of our starting pitching staff being a full run higher than 2005?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 02:39 AM)
Please tell me Williams doesn't believe what he says here. What the f*** is a grinder effect? Was the absence of it last season responsible for the ERA's of our pitching staff being a full run higher in 2006?

This bulls*** is reaching ridiculous levels.

Jesus Christ if the 25 handsomely payed PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PLAYERS on the White Sox roster last year were playing at a lower level than they had the year before because the great Aaron Rowand was not grinding along side them then Kenny Williams' team has much larger problems than I could ever have foreseen. Apparently they're all a bunch of little b****es.

It's about as pathetic as the time the ULA Peacocks got their asses handed to them by the SCU Mustangs simply because their mascot wasn't around to do the peacock strut and fire them up. How sad.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:04 AM)
It's about as pathetic as the time the ULA Peacocks got their asses handed to them by the SCU Mustangs simply because their mascot wasn't around to do the peacock strut and fire them up. How sad.

It wasn't Carlton's fault, Will did his best.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:06 AM)
It wasn't Carlton's fault, Will did his best.

Is there a reason why the entire ULA roster was made up of 6'6" 280 pound white guys? Did they have a single skill position player on the team? Perhaps that had a bit more to do with them losing than Carlton being kidnapped and locked in a giant bird cage.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)
Is there a reason why the entire ULA roster was made up of 6'6" 280 pound white guys? Did they have a single skill position player on the team? Perhaps that had a bit more to do with them losing than Carlton being kidnapped and locked in a giant bird cage.

you're not by chance suggesting it was a lack of talent that lost them the game, are you?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:31 AM)
you're not by chance suggesting it was a lack of talent that lost them the game, are you?

I would never infer such a thing. They were obviously lacking extra motivation to perform, such an intangible force can only be provided by someone who maybe doesn't have all the talent in the world so they're stuck wearing a Peacock costume or relegated to 4th OF duties and helping out the team by strutting around like a jackass or running face first into a wall.

I think the grinder impact is BIG. If I were a pitcher, it is good to know that I have someone out there that lays it out on the line for me, especially CF. Phycologically, I DO think Rowand out there had an impact out there.

I'm not saying BA is no slouch though. But Grinders as you will are an intangible that I like on the Sox.

But, what do I know? Everyone on soxtalk is a GM, you guys all know how to GM better than Kenny and all of you would manage a game better than Ozzie.

I just can't figure out why you guys do your work for free.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
I think the grinder impact is BIG. If I were a pitcher, it is good to know that I have someone out there that lays it out on the line for me, especially CF. Phycologically, I DO think Rowand out there had an impact out there.

I'm not saying BA is no slouch though. But Grinders as you will are an intangible that I like on the Sox.

But, what do I know? Everyone on soxtalk is a GM, you guys all know how to GM better than Kenny and all of you would manage a game better than Ozzie.

Hey I'm offering my services as an International Scout to any baseball team out there. :D

The thing is you are saying it's good for the pitcher to know that Rowand is a grinder but Anderson is not.

I would however, class Brian Anderson as a better defensive center fielder than Aaron Rowand.

The thing that really hurt our outfield defense last season was NOT Anderson replacing Rowand, it was Scott Podsednik going downhill.

I think that KW forgets what he originally defined a grinder as. If you remember that conference about changing the face of Whitesox baseball from an all or nothing team, he used the twins as a comparison for grinder baseball. Grinder baseball is about hitting line drives, its about situational hitting, its about moving the runner into scoring position, its about not going for the homer when a man is in 2nd and getting him in. The Piranhas of last year were the definition of a grinder. A tough out, who slashes and cuts, and puts the ball in play no matter what.

Rowand stopped being a grinder in this sense around the San Diego series of the 2005 season. That is when he and Walk changed his swing to "get around on the ball more". And guess what he really became suspect against low and away, and specifically sliders low and away. His average started to plummet and he became more of an all or nothing player.

THe attitude is one aspect, but you have to also play like one. Just having some guy jacked at all times, and then swinging for the fences or not doing the little things does you no good. We have never been a grinder team, we are still a station to station swing for the fences club that had peter pan steal a lot of bases for in the first part of 05. Outside of that, its the same offense and same theory of scoring runs that we have had here since 2000. If they really believe in this grinder crap, then they need to start preaching line drive contact swings for most of the players, like the twins do. They do not, I repeat do not try and pull and lift pitches. If we could take their approach at the plate for all of our hitters sans the 3-4-5 hitters I would adopt the grinder philosophy 100%. In fact that is exactly what I thought was going to happen, however I have been disappointed as I watch guys try and jack a homer when the guy is on 2nd instead of just trying to score them.

I call smoke and mirrors on what a grinder is more than anything. If you want to watch what a grinder is, dont look at Rowand or Erstad. Watch a minny game when the game is late and they have one of their midgets up and there is a man on 2nd with the game on the line and there is 2 strikes on the hitter. That ball is getting put into play, they are not striking out.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:43 AM)

Well said. It's about time someone else around here sees what I see.

I can tell you this -- when I played team organized baseball (still do from time to time), when I'd be pitching, at the start of any game is mental preperation...if I looked at the lineup and the center field was a lazy player, I felt the following: "s***...I can't miss." Then, of course, I'd miss a lot. But if I looked out there and saw a guy who I know would chase down anything, dive, jump, do flips or whatever it took to catch that ball, my mind was at ease. Centerfield is a HUGE HUGE space...it really eases the mind to know that the guy you have out there isn't gonna lolligag around out there. And that goes for any position.

I'd rather have a "grinder" out there who'd go all out for me every minute of every game than the best CF in the world who liked to take plays or games off.

And yes, in ADDITION to situational hitting, bunting, driving the ball, etc...defenders that go ALL OUT is also part of "grinder baseball", as KW puts it.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you just stating a general baseball thought, or are you implying Anderson "Took plays off"?

General baseball thought. I don't think Anderson takes plays off, but I do think he's full of himself, even though he has prooven a whole lot of nothing thus far.

My problem with Anderson isn't his defense -- although I do think he could be better than he is. It appears to me that Anderson only gives about 85% defensivly -- and if he pressed the petal to the metal, and gave 100%, he could be one of the very very best there is. My issue with Anderson is his holier than thou attitude, and that he's an absolute black hole at the bottom of our lineup.

That said, I'm willing to give him another chance...because if he can turn around his place struggles -- we'd have a winner on our hands with BA.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:18 AM)
That said, I'm willing to give him another chance...because if he can turn around his place struggles -- we'd have a winner on our hands with BA.

i agree. personally the ONLY reason he belongs in AAA this year is IF we were to get Rowand back, but since that's not likely he deserves to be on this roster.

In case you needed another reason not to want Rowand back, and possibly the reason why he won't come back:

Phillies centerfielder Aaron Rowand hit a home run Thursday, but before that had looked awful, scouts say. "His bat is slow," one scout says. "His impact and power don't seem to be there. He has always had an awkward setup and stance. Now he looks really awkward and muscular. He has no barrel whip." The scout adds, "On the flip side, Ryan Howard looks like he can hit 75 homers."

FoxSports

EDIT: Turns out this is in the other Rowand thread, sorry bout that.

Edited by G&T

If Erstad and ARow are similar players in terms of makeup and we already have Erstad at a quarter of the cost of Rowand, why do we need Rowand?

If Erstad is truly healthy (which he seems to be) and motivated (which he certainly is) he's a better player.

He can play more positions. He can steal a base. And he'll get on base more often.

that's plenty of grinding for this club.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you just stating a general baseball thought, or are you implying Anderson "Took plays off"?

No Tony, its the misconception by some sox fans that because Anderson got to a ball with a nice glide in track that its routine, while if Rowand who took a bad route due to a bad jump and read, then has to overcompentsate and throw himself on the ground to make the catch is giving his all. I guess Anderson needs to smash his face into the wall more to get some respect for his defense. I would rather my rookie OF take a major league approach and learn a difficult park with some wierd winds first, before he starts smashing his face into the wall or say threw himself on the ground. But then again I am the only one that seems to remember Rowand taking bad routes, and having horrible jumps. I seem to remember that after his HOR(The hand of rowand play in New York) that he followed that up by making bad jumps for about 2 weeks in key series like say the Indian series(the infamous Joe Crede coming out party) when Jenks gave up a few weak fly ball in betweeners that would of been caught easily if say Rowand didnt play near the track and take a step back on every play.

But hey, the romanticism of the gold glove Aaron Rowand will continue until gracefully he retires. The HOR play will live in sox fans minds forever.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
No Tony, its the misconception by some sox fans that because Anderson got to a ball with a nice glide in track that its routine, while if Rowand who took a bad route due to a bad jump and read, then has to overcompentsate and throw himself on the ground to make the catch is giving his all. I guess Anderson needs to smash his face into the wall more to get some respect for his defense. I would rather my rookie OF take a major league approach and learn a difficult park with some wierd winds first, before he starts smashing his face into the wall or say threw himself on the ground. But then again I am the only one that seems to remember Rowand taking bad routes, and having horrible jumps. I seem to remember that after his HOR(The hand of rowand play in New York) that he followed that up by making bad jumps for about 2 weeks in key series like say the Indian series(the infamous Joe Crede coming out party) when Jenks gave up a few weak fly ball in betweeners that would of been caught easily if say Rowand didnt play near the track and take a step back on every play.

But hey, the romanticism of the gold glove Aaron Rowand will continue until gracefully he retires. The HOR play will live in sox fans minds forever.

I have no such romanticism for Rowand. I know Anderson is a better defensive CF than Rowand...by FAR. That has nothing to do with the fact that as good as I know Anderson is defensivly, I believe he could be better if he had the same heart that Rowand has. I believe that's the point everyone is trying to make...or, at least I am.

Personally, as much as I bash Anderson, because I think hes 1/2 the player he CAN be, I want him out there over Rowand any day of the week and twice on double-header days. :D Again, Anderson should be better offensively AND defensivly (IMO) than he is...partly because of his attitude...and partly because I believe he's simply nervous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)

Ehh I don't think it was lack of talent, but it wasn't lack of grinderball either. Our underperforming pitching did enough to make our overachieving hitting wash out, and we were in a good division where 90 wins meant you suck, hence we sat at home in October. It's not THAT hard to figure out why we lost, Kenny.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
I have no such romanticism for Rowand.

And anybody that does should be kicked out of our fanbase for lack of knowledge. Rowand is a 4th outfielder as a player who gets some love because he's an attention whore in regards to running into walls. He had a decent year in 2005, but even that year he was just an average ballplayer.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
My problem with Anderson isn't his defense -- although I do think he could be better than he is. It appears to me that Anderson only gives about 85% defensivly -- and if he pressed the petal to the metal, and gave 100%, he could be one of the very very best there is.

Just because a person seems to move with an amazing amount of ease in CF doesn't mean that he's not going 100%. It just means that he doesn't need to go 100% because he's gotten such good jumps on the ball. On the plays where Anderson needs to cover ground out there...my God does that kid ever cover some ground. I can think of a couple diving catches and that grab against Hafner in June where he just seemed to come out of no where.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Just because a person seems to move with an amazing amount of ease in CF doesn't mean that he's not going 100%. It just means that he doesn't need to go 100% because he's gotten such good jumps on the ball. On the plays where Anderson needs to cover ground out there...my God does that kid ever cover some ground. I can think of a couple diving catches and that grab against Hafner in June where he just seemed to come out of no where.

I still think that grab on Hafner was the Sox' defensive play of the year. It extended the game another inning so Dye could win it on a single up the middle and it was such a huge momentum shifter for Brian, he ended up homering the next day and going on a nice run offensively after that catch. And get this one after he ran from right center all the way over to left center he finished the play off by - wait for it - crashing into the wall. Since he had so much momentum going in that direction he couldn't keep himself from hitting the wall, I thought that was pretty grinderish but hell I don't even know what the word means anymore.