What could the Sox get for Mackowiak ?

WHITESOXRANDY

It looks like the So xcould be leaning toward keeping Perez so that makes Mack. expendable.

Even though I like him, it seems that the Sox won't need him. Anybody think that the Sox could get something good for him ? What team could really use him ? I think that he would be good for a team that needs a solid backup at the corners and third base or has an injury at one of those positions.

Could he bring a nice prospect back ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
It looks like the So xcould be leaning toward keeping Perez so that makes Mack. expendable.

Even though I like him, it seems that the Sox won't need him. Anybody think that the Sox could get something good for him ? What team could really use him ? I think that he would be good for a team that needs a solid backup at the corners and third base or has an injury at one of those positions.

Could he bring a nice prospect back ?

Tough to tell. He could probably bring back a decent prospect, but im a fan of mack. I doubt they are looking to ship him but i could be wrong.

Why on earth would we keep Perez and get rid of Mack?

Other than his defensive play in CF (which is 100% not his fault), he was pretty much exactly what the Sox wanted him to be last year. People seem to forget that, and get lost in his problems playing a position he himself said he should only play in an emergency.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
It would be a huge mistake to trade Rob Mackowiak and I really think KW knows this. As much as people like to think Rob is expendable, he really is not.

Considering how poorly we do against lefties I am definately for having Perez on the club. So how do we do this balancing act. Ozuna is a lock because of how Ozzie feels about him. Its kind of a messed up situation.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Why on earth would we keep Perez and get rid of Mack?

I think the rationale is:

1. He never plays CF again

2. While his versatility is useful...we do have other people who can cover the exact same spots as him, and he doesn't cover the 1 or 2 spots where we really seem to need a roster spot for another backup.

3. It would be preferable to hold onto him and let either Ozuna or Erstad walk and then at the same time use that spot to hold onto Perez or Terrero, but for some reason, our team has gone insane with "Grinding", and thus, we're forced to keep people of lesser talent solely because of the way they play.

Mackowiak as a backup 3b, LF, RF, and 2nd b, along with Cintron covering SS and another backup, right handed OF/DH would be a hell of a lot more useful than Ozuna, who covers all of those spots moderately well and can play SS but doesn't hit or defend as well as the other guys...but we just won't drop Ozuna.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
i've been out of the loop on our games, but wasn't perez hurt at some point this spring? is he back?

Strained a calf muscle on Wednesday. No news on how serious it was...couldn't finish rounding the bases...but if it's just a mild strain, he probably won't be out for long.

I like Mack. too and I don't want to get rid of him.

But, a lineup with Ozuna, Hall and Perez against some lefties could be pretty good. Also, Perez can play 3B and 1b.

I don't see the Sox getting rid of Ozuna or Cintron so if they want to keep either Perez or Terrero (which I don't like) then it looks like Mack. is the odd man out, no ?

Could the Cards use him in their OF and to back up Rolen ?

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
I think the rationale is:

1. He never plays CF again

2. While his versatility is useful...we do have other people who can cover the exact same spots as him, and he doesn't cover the 1 or 2 spots where we really seem to need a roster spot for another backup.

3. It would be preferable to hold onto him and let either Ozuna or Erstad walk and then at the same time use that spot to hold onto Perez or Terrero, but for some reason, our team has gone insane with "Grinding", and thus, we're forced to keep people of lesser talent solely because of the way they play.

Mackowiak as a backup 3b, LF, RF, and 2nd b, along with Cintron covering SS and another backup, right handed OF/DH would be a hell of a lot more useful than Ozuna, who covers all of those spots moderately well and can play SS but doesn't hit or defend as well as the other guys...but we just won't drop Ozuna.

Strained a calf muscle on Wednesday. No news on how serious it was...couldn't finish rounding the bases...but if it's just a mild strain, he probably won't be out for long.

Ozuna is a sparkplug off the bench. He's really not great at anything, but when he's in the game, good stuff happens. THAT'S why they like him. If anyone, I think Terrero is odd man out. He's been hitting the snot out of the ball, but he's not as versatile as Mack or Erstad.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I like Mack. too and I don't want to get rid of him.

But, a lineup with Ozuna, Hall and Perez against some lefties could be pretty good. Also, Perez can play 3B and 1b.

I don't see the Sox getting rid of Ozuna or Cintron so if they want to keep either Perez or Terrero (which I don't like) then it looks like Mack. is the odd man out, no ?

Could the Cards use him in their OF and to back up Rolen ?

No, no, no, no, no, please not the dreaded SUNDAY LINE-UP. Oh how I hated sitting down on a Sunday afternoon to see:

Ozuna

Mackowiak

Gload

Cintron

Widger

All in the lineup at the same time.

On top of that, the only regulars would be Uribe and Anderson.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
No, no, no, no, no, please not the dreaded SUNDAY LINE-UP. Oh how I hated sitting down on a Sunday afternoon to see:

Ozuna

Mackowiak

Gload

Cintron

Widger

Do I have to be the one to point out that four of those five guys were .285+ hitters, two we well over .300, and three had better than average speed? And those were the BENCH guys?

Though I agree that Widge sucked, and Mack in CF was a nightmare defensively.

The "Sunday Lineup" isn't what killed us last year. You can put starting pitching, much of the bullpen, a lack of drive, some of Ozzie's decisions, Mack in CF, hitters trying to go yard too often, and a few other things ahead of that lineup.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ozuna

Mackowiak

Gload

Cintron

Widger

You're exaggerating dude. I just said against some lefties Ozuna / Pods - a slight advantage and rest for Pods, Hall / A.J. - well documented that the Sox come out ahead and Perez / Thome - Thome clearly struggled against lefties last year and Perez clearly hits them.

Those 3 aren't going to hurt the Sox defensively either because it's only 2 positions and Hall = A.J. and Pods is no great defender.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
It would be a huge mistake to trade Rob Mackowiak and I really think KW knows this. As much as people like to think Rob is expendable, he really is not.

Why exactly is that the case? Doesn't Pablo fill the same role (backup 3B, corner OF) as Mackowiak?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Mack is better at both of those roles than Pablo, IMO.

Not to mention being a better offensive player. Having an insanely versatile player defensive player who also happens to be an excellent offensive player on your bench is always a great thing to have. He's also probably the contingency plan at 2B for '08 in case Iguchi is elsewhere.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Mack is better at both of those roles than Pablo, IMO.

It has nothing to do who is better at a role, if that was the case Mr. Prancer would of been sitting down last year with Mack playing left instead of center. If Ozzie could have 6 or 7 prancers bunting, stealing and running he would. He is trying so desperately to model this team after the Marlins. Hey look at his new setup, Pods and Erstad both lefty remind you(of course in the fact that they are lefty alone) of Pierre and Castillo.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
If there gonna keep playing him in the outfield than i'd rather see him gone. It seems like whenever he plays we lose.

There's a difference between outfield and centerfield.

Centerfield = terrible

Outfield - Centerfield = above average

He's an excellent corner outfielder, centerfield is a whole different position.

I see five bench spots open on this team.

1. Hall is obvious. C

2. Perez because someone on this team needs to hit lefties can play 1b/3b/LF/RF

3. Ozuna stays because he is the fastest guy on the team and Pauly/Thome/AJ/Crede/Perez are gonna need a runner late in games. can play SS/2B/3B/LF

4. Erstad or Terrero depending on Anderson and Pods if either of them don't start the year on the team then it will be Terrero. both play the entire OF and Erstad 1B

5. That leaves Cintron and Mackowiak. If you get rid of Cintron then Ozuna is your top backup middle IF. Seeing as how we don't really have depth in our org as SS or 2B and with Fields ready and waiting in AAA I think that makes Makowiak expendable. Not saying he is bad but there is no room for him. Cintron can play SS/2B/3B. Makowiak can play 3B/OF/2B

note, I am not saying these guys are good at the positions I listed but they have played a significant amount of games there.