What could the Sox get for Mackowiak ?

WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
I see five bench spots open on this team.

1. Hall is obvious. C

2. Perez because someone on this team needs to hit lefties can play 1b/3b/LF/RF

3. Ozuna stays because he is the fastest guy on the team and Pauly/Thome/AJ/Crede/Perez are gonna need a runner late in games. can play SS/2B/3B/LF

4. Erstad or Terrero depending on Anderson and Pods if either of them don't start the year on the team then it will be Terrero. both play the entire OF and Erstad 1B

5. That leaves Cintron and Mackowiak. If you get rid of Cintron then Ozuna is your top backup middle IF. Seeing as how we don't really have depth in our org as SS or 2B and with Fields ready and waiting in AAA I think that makes Makowiak expendable. Not saying he is bad but there is no room for him. Cintron can play SS/2B/3B. Makowiak can play 3B/OF/2B

note, I am not saying these guys are good at the positions I listed but they have played a significant amount of games there.

Perez has played all those position, but can he still play them or is he just a 1B/DH/PH now?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(supernuke @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Perez has played all those position, but can he still play them or is he just a 1B/DH/PH now?

well he's played about 12 games in the OF the last three years and 74 in 03. He might not be good but he would know what to do at least. He hasn't played much 3rd lately but he could in an emergency I guess. In the interview on the sox page he mentioned that he still works at these positions.

Hall and Cintron are locks.

Erstad in my opinion is also a lock since he was a FA and signed here (as opposed to Florida) because its the midwest and closer to his family (and a potential championship team). If KW allows him to be cut, it would reflect badly on our mgmt and who knows what other free agents we could ever get (see Bulls circa 2000). Plus, he fits that grinder mentality.

I think we will also keep Terrero and Ozuna because Ozzie loves them both...and they have a lot more speed then the next two guys. Perez (nice audition for other teams but he basically is a back-up 1B and we have a iron man there along with Thome who will need a few reps during interleague) and Mack (will be traded) are out. I'm not saying I agree with the moves, just what I think the Sox will do.

Mack has been getting fewer reps in ST this year than a lot of other outfielders (less AB's than Anderson, Erstad, Ozuna or Sweeney) . That's because he is not auditioning for a job, with this or any other team. There is reason behind that. He isn't going to get traded, unless an offer comes out of left field (figuratively).

Therefore, I think Hall, Mack and Cintron are locks. Ozuna is a virtual lock, unless he is sent off in a trade of some sort (which, if Pods is healthy, is a possibility). Erstad is making the roster, either as the starting CF or a bench OF. That leaves one slot for...

Anderson

Terrero

Perez

I think Perez is the least likely of the three, since he's a pretty lousy outfielder, and that's what they are really looking for. 1B is solid with PK, Thome, and in a pinch, Mack or others. I think that its Terrero or Anderson, both of whom are having solid springs. if Pods isn't ready opening day, maybe both are on the roster, then one is sent down.

The only wildcard is a trade - which is possible for any of the names above, except Hall, Erstad and probably Mack (who are all very unlikely).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Mack has been getting fewer reps in ST this year than a lot of other outfielders (less AB's than Anderson, Erstad, Ozuna or Sweeney) . That's because he is not auditioning for a job, with this or any other team. There is reason behind that. He isn't going to get traded, unless an offer comes out of left field (figuratively).

Therefore, I think Hall, Mack and Cintron are locks. Ozuna is a virtual lock, unless he is sent off in a trade of some sort (which, if Pods is healthy, is a possibility). Erstad is making the roster, either as the starting CF or a bench OF. That leaves one slot for...

Anderson

Terrero

Perez

I think Perez is the least likely of the three, since he's a pretty lousy outfielder, and that's what they are really looking for. 1B is solid with PK, Thome, and in a pinch, Mack or others. I think that its Terrero or Anderson, both of whom are having solid springs. if Pods isn't ready opening day, maybe both are on the roster, then one is sent down.

The only wildcard is a trade - which is possible for any of the names above, except Hall, Erstad and probably Mack (who are all very unlikely).

It is looking like Pods is going to be good to go for opening day which was probably Anderson's last opportunity to make the team. It would have been Erstad, Anderson and Perez more than likely with Pods on the DL. With a healthy Podsednik you'll more than likely see Pods in LF and Erstad in CF with Terrero making the team as the 4th OF, leaving Anderson and Perez out in the cold.

So in other words I think Anderson's chances of making the team have gone from slim to nil in the past week despite his excellent play.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
It is looking like Pods is going to be good to go for opening day which was probably Anderson's last opportunity to make the team. It would have been Erstad, Anderson and Perez more than likely with Pods on the DL. With a healthy Podsednik you'll more than likely see Pods in LF and Erstad in CF with Terrero making the team as the 4th OF, leaving Anderson and Perez out in the cold.

So in other words I think Anderson's chances of making the team have gone from slim to nil in the past week despite his excellent play.

Could be. I'm not convinced. And I think Anderson and Terrero are both more likely than Perez, but I seem to be in the minority there.

But if Erstad is the starting CF, then yeah, Anderson goes down and Terrero/Perez stays. I think Terrero is a lot more likely, since he can play CF (at least in their eyes anyway), and KW and Oz have both stated the need for a backup CF. That, if no other reason, makes Perez highly unlikely to make the team.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Could be. I'm not convinced. And I think Anderson and Terrero are both more likely than Perez, but I seem to be in the minority there.

But if Erstad is the starting CF, then yeah, Anderson goes down and Terrero/Perez stays. I think Terrero is a lot more likely, since he can play CF (at least in their eyes anyway), and KW and Oz have both stated the need for a backup CF. That, if no other reason, makes Perez highly unlikely to make the team.

Well, the good news I see is that Erstad is unlikely to stay healthy for very long at all while playing CF, so that roster spot could open up really quick. And i'm usually one of the guys who hates it when people root for injuries too.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't somebody once post our record with him in the OF, and it was scary?

That's right, it's all Mack's fault

26-23 (which equates to 86-76 over a full season. SOOO SCARYYYY)

When Mack started in CF

Sox score_opp score

2_8

5_3

4_2

4_0

9_2

6_5

6_5

4_1

4_5

4_8

5_2

6_1

4_7

9_3

3_2

2_3

7_5

0_5

8_12

8_6

2_6

0_8

8_1

13_5

1_0

7_4

6_5

9_10

4_2

11_15

4_2

6_9

4_6

2_5

5_0

4_7

7_8

6_4

6_5

4_10

4_1

1_7

7_5

4_5

7_8

5_7

3_2

3_4

2_4

Mack is insanely underrated. He had a .384 OBP and .837 OPS against RHP.

...and as I type, he just won the f***ing game off a lefty on the scrubs.

:rolly

Edited by santo=dorf

Personally I think mack is a lock to make the team for a variety of reasons. I can't believe all this talk of him being unnecessary when he is somewhat versatile. Although its a minor detail- Isn't mack also the emergency catcher? You almost have to have one of those. Its far more likely that two of perez, anderson or terrero are sent packing imo .

Edited by max power

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Why on earth would we keep Perez and get rid of Mack?

Other than his defensive play in CF (which is 100% not his fault), he was pretty much exactly what the Sox wanted him to be last year. People seem to forget that, and get lost in his problems playing a position he himself said he should only play in an emergency.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Sox keeping Perez over Mack if and only if they intend to use Perez as the primary DH vs. LHP. Otherwise, he's just a waste of a roster space if he's only going to be a RH pinch hitter and third backup at 1B.

I agree with everything you wrote about Mackowiak. Unfortunately, Ozzie misused him last year and may not use him wisely again this year.

My biggest fear by large is that the OF plan is Pods-Erstad-Dye with Mackowiak and Ozuna as the backups with Perez making the roster.

That's why Pods is such a sore eye on this team. Not that he can't change a game; it's that the Sox have other guys that can change the game too when they are playing well and then the Sox would actually have a backup OFer on the roster.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
My biggest fear by large is that the OF plan is Pods-Erstad-Dye with Mackowiak and Ozuna as the backups with Perez making the roster.

Replace the currently-injured Perez with Terrero and I think you're looking at your opening day lineup.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
Replace the currently-injured Perez with Terrero and I think you're looking at your opening day lineup.

I could live with that. Anderson could be starting every day in AAA and he's only a phone call away if the Sox need him.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
I could live with that. Anderson could be starting every day in AAA and he's only a phone call away if the Sox need him.

IMO, that's still a significant downgrade from the best lineup the Sox could put out, which is why it annoys the Hell out of me

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
IMO, that's still a significant downgrade from the best lineup the Sox could put out, which is why it annoys the Hell out of me

^^^. And we're not even discussing the impact if Aaron Rowand was acquired here as well.

I still think the Marlins are going to come calling for BA before the season starts, and something could get done.

That's unless a David Murphy/Kyle Snyder for Taylor Tankesley deal happens.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
That's right, it's all Mack's fault

26-23 (which equates to 86-76 over a full season. SOOO SCARYYYY)

When Mack started in CF

Sox score_opp score

2_8

5_3

4_2

4_0

9_2

6_5

6_5

4_1

4_5

4_8

5_2

6_1

4_7

9_3

3_2

2_3

7_5

0_5

8_12

8_6

2_6

0_8

8_1

13_5

1_0

7_4

6_5

9_10

4_2

11_15

4_2

6_9

4_6

2_5

5_0

4_7

7_8

6_4

6_5

4_10

4_1

1_7

7_5

4_5

7_8

5_7

3_2

3_4

2_4

...and as I type, he just won the f***ing game off a lefty on the scrubs.

:rolly

Once I saw the beginning of the lengthy score listing, my subconscious clicked santo=dorf.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)

That's why Pods is such a sore eye on this team. Not that he can't change a game; it's that the Sox have other guys that can change the game too when they are playing well and then the Sox would actually have a backup OFer on the roster.

I like the way you're thinking. Podsednik is throwing this entire roster off. Trade or cut him.

Someone please explain the difference between Perez and Terrero. I've been getting them confused as I haven't been following spring training, outside of confirming my suspicion that Gavin Floyd is a scrub. Is Perez the one who hits lefties well? What does Terrero offer?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
I should have prefaced it by saying that is what I want to happen, not what will happen.

A man can dream.

Anyone who has Haeger making this team (even though I have him as our 5th starter) is cool beans in my book. :)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)

How likely do you think it is that Mack repeats those numbers?

Mack vs. RHP

2006: 201 AB, .308/.384/.453/.837

2005: 394 AB, .272/.336/.396/.732

2004: 430 AB, .258/.337/.447/.784

QUOTE(Andy Frain @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How likely do you think it is that Mack repeats those numbers?

Mack vs. RHP

2006: 201 AB, .308/.384/.453/.837

2005: 394 AB, .272/.336/.396/.732

2004: 430 AB, .258/.337/.447/.784

Take a look at the number of at-bats. If you use him too much he is exposed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)

Agreed, that's a lot more likely. Perez serves no purpose on the Sox roster, and if he is there instead of Terrero or Anderson, that goes against not only logic, but what KW and Oz have both been saying (that they need a real backup CF).