What could the Sox get for Mackowiak ?

WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
Agreed, that's a lot more likely. Perez serves no purpose on the Sox roster, and if he is there instead of Terrero or Anderson, that goes against not only logic, but what KW and Oz have both been saying (that they need a real backup CF).

Keep telling yourself that Perez serves no purpose when Santana, CC, Cliff Lee, Rodgers, and the rest of the lefties are shutting down Thome killing our attack. To me Perez needs to be on this club, or we will have another aenmic attack against lefties and we will wind up short again. We havent had a real good right handed stick off the bench to counter the lefties in a while.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
Keep telling yourself that Perez serves no purpose when Santana, CC, Cliff Lee, Rodgers, and the rest of the lefties are shutting down Thome killing our attack. To me Perez needs to be on this club, or we will have another aenmic attack against lefties and we will wind up short again. We havent had a real good right handed stick off the bench to counter the lefties in a while.

I agree with you. But again, I only want Perez on the roster if Ozzie intends to start him at DH in place of Thome against lefties. If not, he's a waste of a roster space, and Mackowiak is much more valuable to have on the bench.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
Eddie Perez has always been able to hit LH well. He can play 1b, and some say he could play LF, but I have never seen it, so I really can't judge.

Terrero is supposedly an above average CF, and has no bat. He really should not be on this roster. It should Mack-Anderson-Dye with Perez and Erstad as the backups.

1.Pierz

2.Hall

3.Konerko

4.Perez

5.Iguchi

6.Cintron

7.Uribe

8.Ozuna

9.Crede

10.Mackowiak

11.Erstad

12.Anderson

13.Dye

14.Perez

15.Buehrle

16.Garland

17.Count

18.Vazquez

19.Floyd/Danks

20.Jenks

21.Thornton

22.Macdougal

23.Masset

24.Logan

25.Haeger.

Thanks for the explanation. Judging from what you've said, I don't see the value in Terrero since the Sox have Anderson starting and Erstad backing up. Because of the team's poor performances against left-handed pitching, I agree Perez has value to this team. He and Hall should improve the team's record against lefties.

I completely agree with your starting outfield and outfield bench. You listed Perez twice though, accidently leaving off Thome.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 04:55 AM)
Take a look at the number of at-bats. If you use him too much he is exposed.

Yeah, that was my point. Do you think he was better last year because of the way he was used or was it a small sample size fluke?

Mackowiak faced most of the tough righties last year, so the numbers weren't based on playing more favorable matchups than he had in the past. That makes me suspect the .837 OPS vs. RHP was a fluke and it's unlikely he'll come close to those numbers, even in a limited role.

If I could get a good lefty reliver for him (which is quite ironic since we traded Marte for him), it'd be something I'd certainly consider.

That way, you don't have to push Sisco and / or Logan into the bullpen.

I think we have enough bench guys now though in Perez, Terrero etc. who may make the 25 man roster, that the Sox will see what they can get on the market for him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)

Thome certainly did struggle against lefties. But let's look at the other hitters who will likely play against LHP. PK, Dye, Ozuna and Hall all do very well against LHP. Crede, Uribe are not great, but their dropoff from vs RHP to vs LHP is not large. Iguchi and Thome are the ones who split poorly against lefties (though Cintron does reasonably well against LHP and could play 2B some of the time), and then we have the mystery CF position. And since there is no way Perez is playing CF, his only real use is as a DH against LHP.

Look at it in terms of the choices available. If you take Perez instead of Terrero (assuming for a moment that Anderson is in AAA), then you gain a solid bat against LHP for the DH position. But what you lose is exactly what everyone on this board complained about not having last year - a backup CF!!! Which is more important? To me, having a CF who isn't a complete disaster out there is far more important than the DH position against LHP.

Of course, it should also be noted that if Anderson stayed with the club, you could maybe solve both these issues in one roster spot. But that seems unlikely at this point.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 07:42 AM)
Thome certainly did struggle against lefties. But let's look at the other hitters who will likely play against LHP. PK, Dye, Ozuna and Hall all do very well against LHP. Crede, Uribe are not great, but their dropoff from vs RHP to vs LHP is not large. Iguchi and Thome are the ones who split poorly against lefties (though Cintron does reasonably well against LHP and could play 2B some of the time), and then we have the mystery CF position. And since there is no way Perez is playing CF, his only real use is as a DH against LHP.

Look at it in terms of the choices available. If you take Perez instead of Terrero (assuming for a moment that Anderson is in AAA), then you gain a solid bat against LHP for the DH position. But what you lose is exactly what everyone on this board complained about not having last year - a backup CF!!! Which is more important? To me, having a CF who isn't a complete disaster out there is far more important than the DH position against LHP.

Of course, it should also be noted that if Anderson stayed with the club, you could maybe solve both these issues in one roster spot. But that seems unlikely at this point.

And this proves entirely how worthless Podsednik really is to the club, even if indirectly.

Exactly as you pointed out, if Anderson were the CFer, and Erstad the LFer, not only would the OF defense be improved, but it's very likely that the offense would improve as well. And, if Anderson needs a day off, Erstad slides over to CF - surely, Ozzie would allow a starter to play two different positions!

Perez could be the difference between the playoffs and golfing in October. It's an absolute necessity to get him on the roster. And, if that means getting rid of Ozuna, it should absolutely be done. Ozuna's a hell of a sparkplug, and I love the guy as a fan, but plain and simply he's a horrible defender, he doesn't have power, and the speed he does have he can't put to use on the bases. He's still my sleeper to not make the roster too, because I've almost no doubt Podsednik will.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
And this proves entirely how worthless Podsednik really is to the club, even if indirectly.

Exactly as you pointed out, if Anderson were the CFer, and Erstad the LFer, not only would the OF defense be improved, but it's very likely that the offense would improve as well. And, if Anderson needs a day off, Erstad slides over to CF - surely, Ozzie would allow a starter to play two different positions!

Perez could be the difference between the playoffs and golfing in October. It's an absolute necessity to get him on the roster. And, if that means getting rid of Ozuna, it should absolutely be done. Ozuna's a hell of a sparkplug, and I love the guy as a fan, but plain and simply he's a horrible defender, he doesn't have power, and the speed he does have he can't put to use on the bases. He's still my sleeper to not make the roster too, because I've almost no doubt Podsednik will.

So if Perez makes the roster and Anderson does not, how would you propose to handle backup CF? Assuming Pods is the starting LF, would you take Terrero over Ozuna?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
So if Perez makes the roster and Anderson does not, how would you propose to handle backup CF? Assuming Pods is the starting LF, would you take Terrero over Ozuna?

That would be the most likely solution, with Iguchi leading off against LHP - I know his splits were mediocre, but that may be more of an anamoly than anything else. He was great against them in 2005, so it's hard to make a judgement on how well he actually does hit them. Hall or Perez could then hit 2nd and 6th respectively.

Terrero just acts as a true 4th OFer, hopefully putting up an OPS around .700 off of the bench with good D. That seems as though it's the best case scenario in my mind right now, as much as we all love Ozuna.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
That would be the most likely solution, with Iguchi leading off against LHP - I know his splits were mediocre, but that may be more of an anamoly than anything else. He was great against them in 2005, so it's hard to make a judgement on how well he actually does hit them. Hall or Perez could then hit 2nd and 6th respectively.

Terrero just acts as a true 4th OFer, hopefully putting up an OPS around .700 off of the bench with good D. That seems as though it's the best case scenario in my mind right now, as much as we all love Ozuna.

Strange as this may sound, but what if you used Ozuna as a DH against LHP? He has no power I know, but if he can get on base as effectively as last year, with the other power hitters already in the lineup, that may not be a bad move.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
Strange as this may sound, but what if you used Ozuna as a DH against LHP? He has no power I know, but if he can get on base as effectively as last year, with the other power hitters already in the lineup, that may not be a bad move.

Usually a move like that really isn't kosher with most general managers, because the common thought is that DH, like 1B, 3B, LF and RF, are power positions. I don't always believe that, but rather believe you just need an effective hitter there. Ozuna is an effective hitter, so, in my general thought, it's not a bad idea. However, I'm still not sure what's happening with Perez and Terrero here, and because Perez is that much of a better option at DH against LHP than Ozuna, he is that much more valuable.

I'm not anyone of power, but if I were, Ozuna is the 25th man where my 26th man is making $2.9 mill (actually, I just call him my 26th man...he'd actually be like 30th or so, but that's another argument), so I have to have my 26th man on the roster. Because of that, I'm either going to try and trade Ozuna and get some value for him - which really isn't entirely likely - or I'll send him down to AAA. If neither work, and he won't accept the assignment, he gone. The Sox have Spivey in AAA right now who would fill that role perfectly if a situation where a backup 2B/SS/3B/LF/LHP killer were necessary.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
I like the idea of Perez, but the guy got hurt on a home run trot. :D

I call him Eduardo Gramatica