Music Thread

greasywheels121

So I went to the Double Door Halloween show last night - good times!

The highlight for me was definitely Blackbox as Local H. They started with Scott "firing" Joe and Brian moving from roadie to drummer. They also made fun of Brian's love for Cheap Trick and his interest in ornithology. (Apparently Brian likes birds, who knew?)

Blackbox's drummer is one HARD-HITTING dude! God damn!!! You could see pieces of his drumsticks splintering off and flying around all during the set. My ears were buzzing after they played, and they were on first!

My wife's favorite was (of course) The Sleepers as Pearl Jam. They dressed the part perfectly, except maybe for the Sox cap on "Eddie's" head. The singer looked like Eddie, made all the Eddie faces and moved like him, but didn't sing like him at all. Overall, though, they did a nice job, complete with "Neil Young" coming on stage for Rockin' In The Free World.

Next were The Midnight Shows as Culture Club. Uhhhhh.......not good. They didn't look or sound like them, their backup singers couldn't sing, and the whole thing was sloppy and kind of sad. The less said about them the better.

Thunderwing was next as The MC5. They did a very nice job of looking and sounding like them, but I don't like the MC5 at all, so their set did nothing for me. Their bass player looked a lot like Steve Zahn, so that was interesting, I guess.

Catfish Haven was next as The Misfits. The band did a great job of recreating the buzzing, bass-heavy sound of early Misfits, but the Danzig guy kind of overplayed his role and it took a lot away from the sound. It was funny that he wore one of those muscle jackets to appear more like Danzig, and the facepaint over the full, thick beard was funny, but he sang so loudly he was overmodulating. Good stuff, not great stuff.

I didn't stick around for The Last Vegas portraying Alice Cooper - I had enough at that point, and I still had about an hour's drive home ahead of me, so we headed out.

A few notable costumes: a couple people had the same "Bret Michaels and skank" idea the wife and I were thinking about (we didn't end up dressing in costumes), a couple guys dressed as Bartleby and Loki from "Dogma", and the probable favorite of the Soxtalk community would be the "Dick In A Box" guy. He looked EXACTLY like the Andy Samberg character, he had a box strapped to his groin, and inside the box was a blue light and a bunch of pictures of people named Dick (Cheney, Clark, and so on).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
The Maquerade Ball at DD was one of my favorite nights in Chicago.

I'm confused, Blackbox went as Local H? Did Scott Lucas or Brian play at all ?.....and yes Brian loves birds and you'd better be one hard hitting MF if you wish to imitate him.

This was the first year that Local H wasn't involved in the DD Halloween show at all, so the first band portrayed after their involvement was....Local H!

(A fact the Blackbox singer "complained" about as Scott - "we headline this thing EVERY YEAR, and now we're OPENING???")

Local H heard about this, and now they're having a contest on their website where bands can send in a picture of themselves as Local H for a shot at opening a Local H show AS Local H.

I thought that was very cool!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
This was the first year that Local H wasn't involved in the DD Halloween show at all, so the first band portrayed after their involvement was....Local H!

(A fact the Blackbox singer "complained" about as Scott - "we headline this thing EVERY YEAR, and now we're OPENING???")

Local H heard about this, and now they're having a contest on their website where bands can send in a picture of themselves as Local H for a shot at opening a Local H show AS Local H.

I thought that was very cool!

I wonder why they didn't play? They're always heavily invovled in that show. It was probably by choice and I bet they were there somewhere.

That's a funny contest idea. Those guys are the two least rock start guys you'll ever meet. Very down to earth.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
I wonder why they didn't play? They're always heavily invovled in that show. It was probably by choice and I bet they were there somewhere.

That's a funny contest idea. Those guys are the two least rock star guys you'll ever meet. Very down to earth.

Scott was on Local 101 last year around the 10th anniversary of the Halloween show, and he said enough was enough for him.

He was heavily involved in arranging the show - which bands would perform, who they'd be, and all that, and he said he needed a break from it.

(I guess it cut into his side project time - aside from the Ministry/RevCo/Pigface guys, Scott has more side projects than anyone else I know of)

I didn't see Scott or Brian walking around, so unless they had one of the "headed" costumes (I saw a couple Homer Simpsons walking around, and some other costumes with head ornaments) they weren't visible at the show as far as I saw.

I'm guessing they'll play it next year. Sounded like Scott just didn't want to deal with it this year.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
Scott was on Local 101 last year around the 10th anniversary of the Halloween show, and he said enough was enough for him.

He was heavily involved in arranging the show - which bands would perform, who they'd be, and all that, and he said he needed a break from it.

(I guess it cut into his side project time - aside from the Ministry/RevCo/Pigface guys, Scott has more side projects than anyone else I know of)

I didn't see Scott or Brian walking around, so unless they had one of the "headed" costumes (I saw a couple Homer Simpsons walking around, and some other costumes with head ornaments) they weren't visible at the show as far as I saw.

I'm guessing they'll play it next year. Sounded like Scott just didn't want to deal with it this year.

Does he still DJ at Smart Bar once a week?

Will they be playing their usual NYE gig at DD this year?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:30 AM)
Does he still DJ at Smart Bar once a week?

Will they be playing their usual NYE gig at DD this year?

Oh, Christ, I haven't been to Smart Bar in AGES. Probably close to two decades since I set foot in there. I don't know what goes on there anymore at all.

Local H is playing Subterranean this New Year's Eve. Double Door hasn't announced their NYE show yet, so now I'm wondering if there's some bad blood there. Weird...

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:42 AM)
Oh, Christ, I haven't been to Smart Bar in AGES. Probably close to two decades since I set foot in there. I don't know what goes on there anymore at all.

Local H is playing Subterranean this New Year's Eve. Double Door hasn't announced their NYE show yet, so now I'm wondering if there's some bad blood there. Weird...

YEP, something must've happpened.

But wow, they're playing that sweat box?? That's gonna be insane.

QUOTE(Cali @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
12 hours after it comes out and Im still the only one who's reviewed the new A7X album? Haha

Yes, I may have "obtained" it early, but you're slipping. You know who you are :P

I DLed it, but no one seemed interested when I mentioned it earlier..

Scream is awesome

And you are right, that one weird theatrical song.. I don't know what to make of it either..

Edited by Shadows

QUOTE(Shadows @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
I DLed it, but no one seemed interested when I mentioned it earlier..

Scream is awesome

Yeah.

Overall though, pretty blah. I dont have the desire to keep spinning it like I did with City of Evil and Waking the Fallen.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, but the sound they have on this record is exactly what I thought they were gonna do. Like keep the "metal" part to match the way they started dressing after they released City of Evil, but take out the super poppy parts/chorus' to keep street cred after they got radio play.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I dont think so....

QUOTE(Cali @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
Yeah.

Overall though, pretty blah. I dont have the desire to keep spinning it like I did with City of Evil and Waking the Fallen.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, but the sound they have on this record is exactly what I thought they were gonna do. Like keep the "metal" part to match the way they started dressing after they released City of Evil, but take out the super poppy parts/chorus' to keep street cred after they got radio play.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I dont think so....

Well thats kind of the problem, they wouldn't get any radio play unless they changed the sound a little.. now they play Almost Easy on the radio all the time here

Either way, I still like it.. its not as good as their other stuff but I still enjoy listening to it

QUOTE(Cali @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
There's one song on the album, I cant decide if I love it or hate it haha. It's very theatrical, and kinda weird.

Dude, give that song a couple listens.. I felt the same way you did but the more I listen to it the more badass it gets

Im diggin the new Angels & Airwaves effort "I-Empire".

Even though Tom has just a MASSIVE ego about his own music, and for some reason, despite being born and raised in SoCal he has a Boston accent when he sings, I still enjoy this album.

Sound wise, if you're looking for progression, it's just like We Dont Need to Whisper, though he stated that it was the 2nd half of that album, so it would make sense that it would sound the same. Oddly enough the single is the only thing that kind of sounds out of place with the rest of the album.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
I'm listening to Eric Clapton doing Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright". OMG it's kicking my ass.

Album: Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration

How was the Willie and Pat Green concert?

I was at the International Music Festival on South Padre Island yesterday. 12 different venues, excellent range of acts.

I also caught the Art Walk in Port Isabelle and a Mexican War reenactment on the way home.

I'm not a big fan of Pat Green though I do appreciate his talent. I was just kinda "Oh Well" about Green. But Willie ... well I thoroughly enjoy kicking back and just chillin' while Willie did his stuff. Outdoor venue on a beautiful night. Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable evening.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
I'm not a big fan of Pat Green though I do appreciate his talent. I was just kinda "Oh Well" about Green. But Willie ... well I thoroughly enjoy kicking back and just chillin' while Willie did his stuff. Outdoor venue on a beautiful night. Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable evening.

Did Pat open for Willie?