Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:48 PM)
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Electric Circus album?

I like that album but this new one is pretty awful. Perhaps a few more listens will be needed but I struggled from hitting 'next' midway through each song.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
He could petition the Guiness Book of World Records for the earliest "glory days" ever.

That guy can't be too proud of his attributes, or else he would have recreated that cover photo more accurately.

I'm seeing Oasis tonight and I am jacked. I know they're not everybodies cup of tea, but they're one of my favorite bands and they always put together good setlists.

I am a little dissapointed in their new album, it's OK, but I thought their previous album was very underrated and this new one is just average

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
I'm seeing Oasis tonight and I am jacked. I know they're not everybodies cup of tea, but they're one of my favorite bands and they always put together good setlists.

I am a little dissapointed in their new album, it's OK, but I thought their previous album was very underrated and this new one is just average

I like Oasis a lot - I really liked the first song from Dig Out Your Soul (Shock of the Lightning), but I listened to some clips of other songs, and I agree with you.

They're good (they're always good), but not great.

Enjoy the show!

I never really got into classical music. I assumed it was mostly used now for apt violent scenes in Italian gangster movies, or poor violent scenes in Brian de Palma films. But I'm writing a paper about the rise of Peronist governments in South America, and I turned on Beethovens Symphony no. 9, his final composition, and I think the key is this time I'm listening to it REALLY loud. I'm really enjoying it.

Now, assume complete lack of knowledge on my part. I know the heavy hitters, your Bachs, your Mozarts, your aforementioned Ludwig von Beethoven. But so anyways rec. me some good classical. I don't like the Romantic era that symphony no. 9 helped usher in, however, so spare me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
I never really got into classical music. I assumed it was mostly used now for apt violent scenes in Italian gangster movies, or poor violent scenes in Brian de Palma films. But I'm writing a paper about the rise of Peronist governments in South America, and I turned on Beethovens Symphony no. 9, his final composition, and I think the key is this time I'm listening to it REALLY loud. I'm really enjoying it.

Now, assume complete lack of knowledge on my part. I know the heavy hitters, your Bachs, your Mozarts, your aforementioned Ludwig von Beethoven. But so anyways rec. me some good classical. I don't like the Romantic era that symphony no. 9 helped usher in, however, so spare me.

I'm not very educated on classical music, but I do listen to it a lot. I listen to the classical station here in Chicago or on Sirius, especially to chill out

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I like Oasis a lot - I really liked the first song from Dig Out Your Soul (Shock of the Lightning), but I listened to some clips of other songs, and I agree with you.

They're good (they're always good), but not great.

Enjoy the show!

Yeah I liked that song as well, this album's better than their last one I'd say.

Seeing them on Wednesday at the Garden also which should be good.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Perhaps to listeners of top 40 rap. I prefer to listen to something with a little more intellect.

I'll actually greatly disagree with this, despite the fact that I found electric circus to be a joke of an album. This impression that rappers that talk about shallow social issues are somehow greater than rappers who avoid it is funny to me. Congrats Lupe, you say that coke dealers aren't cool. Here's your medal. Congrats Q-tip, you complain about people stealing your style when you f***ing stole your beats from the seven. So these people that claim they are poets can f*** off, I'll keep the same sonic aesthetic of Kanye and others before I give credence to these losers for making bad music but acting like it's important because it isn't violent.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)
Another great old song I just discovered for myself. "These Days" by Jackson Browne. Anyone know it?

Yeah, Nico from Velvet Underground covers it nicely too.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
I'll actually greatly disagree with this, despite the fact that I found electric circus to be a joke of an album. This impression that rappers that talk about shallow social issues are somehow greater than rappers who avoid it is funny to me. Congrats Lupe, you say that coke dealers aren't cool. Here's your medal. Congrats Q-tip, you complain about people stealing your style when you f***ing stole your beats from the seven. So these people that claim they are poets can f*** off, I'll keep the same sonic aesthetic of Kanye and others before I give credence to these losers for making bad music but acting like it's important because it isn't violent.

Meh. I'll take someone who has the vocabulary of at least a 12th grader over some of this thug rap out there that contains no words over 2 syllables.

I'm listening to the Goo Goo Dolls third album right now, Hold Me Up. Every time I go back to their early days I am always amazed by how great they were. They oddly enough though never lost what made them great, they just got stale with it and overused their own formula to death. But the three albums, whooo-doggy...great albums.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
I'll take Ye's simple rhymes that are terse and memorable over talib kweli or mos def any day. Just because they act like they are smarter doesn't mean they are.

I actually would group Kanye into the 'intelligent' rapper club. I'm talking about guys like Shawty Lo who sound like they might be illiterate.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Here's Milkman taking this thread back to the past again...

How awesome was Warren Zevon?

It's funny that you bring him up, I just watched like 2 hours of Zevon videos on youttube yesterday. He was an awesome songwriter & musician and I really miss him.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
It's funny that you bring him up, I just watched like 2 hours of Zevon videos on youttube yesterday. He was an awesome songwriter & musician and I really miss him.

You ever watch his final appearance on Letterman? The way he handled his own imminent death was really respectable and enviable, in a way.