Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
tell me about MGMT?

Should I tune back into TV On The Radio?

- few good songs

-NO NO NO NO. I tell you the only reason they are getting these high rankings on year end lists is it makes lost-touch publications like Spin and Rolling Stone feel experimental all the while supporting a band that is entirely marketed on a major label. That album was awful.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
- few good songs

-NO NO NO NO. I tell you the only reason they are getting these high rankings on year end lists is it makes lost-touch publications like Spin and Rolling Stone feel experimental all the while supporting a band that is entirely marketed on a major label. That album was awful.

I liked TVOTR back in the day though.

Return to Cookie Mountain had some decent songs on it, but they botched that one too with a retarded album format. Dear Science indeed is trash, and if any other band released something of that quality they'd get reamed.

I was really excited for it too, I thought they were going a different direction after RtCM but they regressed into a group that I probably will never pay attention to again.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Semisonic, right? Vastly underated band. Which is suprising given how much Closing Time seemed to polarize the entire 90's generation

Yeah, and Closing Time is the first track on it. I don't think that's even my favorite on the album, there's some good ones there.

Minneapolis has put out some damn good bands, IMO.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 01:48 AM)
Yeah, and Closing Time is the first track on it. I don't think that's even my favorite on the album, there's some good ones there.

I have a soft spot for Never You Mind. It's a shame that it got overshadowed by the commercial sucess of songs like Closing Time, Secret Smile, and Singing in My Sleep. Also, Chemistry (different album) is one of the catchiest songs ever written.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on Common since he's one of my favorite artists. UMC is not good. He said it's an album to make people dance, but he just isnt that rapper. Besides the 2 singles, there are only about 2 other decent songs on the album. As far as Electric Circus, I liked it. It had some real good songs on it.

Kanye's album is the biggest disappointment of the year so much that UMC is better. Which isn't hard to say because 808s is just complete trash. It's an R&B album and I've noticed only people who like R&B like it.

Ludacris' album is pretty good though. Better than both Common and Kanye's by far.

A really underrated scene, even though it's not where it was back in the 80's with Prince, Husker Du and the Replacements. I'm not sure if you can call The Hold Steady a Minneapolis band, even though I think that's what they consider themselves in their songs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
scenes are overrated. WHo cares where you are from anymore, anyone can get anyones music.

While i understand what you are saying, I still think musical scenes have a much bigger influence on people than the internet ever will. Its one thing to hear a song from your computer, its a whole different thing to walk into a dive-bar and hear it in its uncut/unedited/un-studio-ed glory.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
While i understand what you are saying, I still think musical scenes have a much bigger influence on people than the internet ever will. Its one thing to hear a song from your computer, its a whole different thing to walk into a dive-bar and hear it in its uncut/unedited/un-studio-ed glory.

tours.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
tours.

you can simplify it all you want. Some people dont "feel" music until they see it a certain way. Sometimes its hanging around a scene, sometimes its through napster, sometimes its a blatant ripoff of an artist they like.

So did Peanut all the sudden move to the underrated Minnesota scene to "feel" it. Its not like Minnesota is the base and these bands rarely travel, they aren't Jon Brion with LA, the only difference between Minnesota and USA for these bands is Minneapolis will get 3 or 4 shows instead of 1. Its not as if we are talking bands so small they are reduced to playing one club in NY, all of these travel. Propping up a city for producing a few bands isn't that necessary. Omaha wasn't any better or worse of a town when that saddle creek mirage began, williamstown wasn't a harlem rennaisance because of TVOTR and fiery furnaces. For DJ scenes, there is more teeth to it, but elsewise it's all antiquated.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
So did Peanut all the sudden move to the underrated Minnesota scene to "feel" it. Its not like Minnesota is the base and these bands rarely travel, they aren't Jon Brion with LA, the only difference between Minnesota and USA for these bands is Minneapolis will get 3 or 4 shows instead of 1. Its not as if we are talking bands so small they are reduced to playing one club in NY, all of these travel. Propping up a city for producing a few bands isn't that necessary. Omaha wasn't any better or worse of a town when that saddle creek mirage began, williamstown wasn't a harlem rennaisance because of TVOTR and fiery furnaces. For DJ scenes, there is more teeth to it, but elsewise it's all antiquated.

At the same time, did Peanut flip on his computer so that he could "feel" it? Sometimes being in the right place at the right time alters the way a musician plays a certain tune, a certain chord, a certain melody so much that it becomes identifiable by the artist playing it. Minnesota is a little more indentifiable by its music scene than Omaha, even though Omaha has quite a great history itself.

I dont know, I understand what you are saying but at the same time you are understating the value of a scene to a musician and simplifying the situation.

There are bands that are given more of a shot with the national audience if they come out of a music scene that is hot at the time also. I know I have done that with bands that come out of the Seattle music scene just because I seem to like alot of bands that come from there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
scenes are overrated. WHo cares where you are from anymore, anyone can get anyones music.

What is a 'scene' exactly?

Is it a city that is producing good music across many different rock styles and other genres, or is it a city that is making one new style that can only be found in that city?

Do either of these even exist any more?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
What is a 'scene' exactly?

Is it a city that is producing good music across many different rock styles and other genres, or is it a city that is making one new style that can only be found in that city?

Do either of these even exist any more?

A group of artists from one region that may or may not have a specific sound. Although the only connection they have would be that they're from the same area.

In some ways it exists...for example you've got the underground hip-hop scene here in Chicago that's going towards more of a basic old school sound with artists like: The Cool Kids, Hollywood Holt, Million $ Mano, Mic Terror...etc.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)
A group of artists from one region that may or may not have a specific sound. Although the only connection they have would be that they're from the same area.

In some ways it exists...for example you've got the underground hip-hop scene here in Chicago that's going towards more of a basic old school sound with artists like: The Cool Kids, Hollywood Holt, Million $ Mano, Mic Terror...etc.

Yeah, it seems to me that a 'scene' would need it's own signature sound.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah, it seems to me that a 'scene' would need it's own signature sound.

I saw tons of Ska out of St Louis in the late 90's. More than I could handle, they loved that stuff at SIU(particularly the Urge, with good reason)