Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
The Fray's cover of "Heartless" is actually pretty good. I'm no Fray fan, but it's good to hear it sung by some one who can actually sing....

is there a rolleyes smiley?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
is there a rolleyes smiley?

I actually like the Kanye version on the album, and i dont mind the auto-tune cause sometimes it can sound cool. But that can't be recreated live without sounding like ass, and he kept on trying to do it live multiple times and made of a fool of himself on SNL and American Idol.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
for me, talent in music has little to do with the technical skills.

I agree.

Some of my favorite singers can't "sing", and generally speaking, my favorite guitarists keep it simple and aren't flashy.

However, a bad drummer can RUIN a band. For me, that's the key to a rock band - the guy doesn't have to be Neil Peart, but he has to be solid.

Ultimately, for me it's always about the songs - much more than it is about the individuals playing them.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
I agree.

Some of my favorite singers can't "sing", and generally speaking, my favorite guitarists keep it simple and aren't flashy.

However, a bad drummer can RUIN a band. For me, that's the key to a rock band - the guy doesn't have to be Neil Peart, but he has to be solid.

Ultimately, for me it's always about the songs - much more than it is about the individuals playing them.

:) I'll get behind this 100%. Good point on drummer.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

My man love for these guys is strong, and I don't think I've personally had as much expectation for an album in many many years. They totally met them. They cover so much ground in this album, it's heavier than their debut album, especially the first half of the album. You can definitely hear the In Utero influence on this CD, and just early 90's rock in general. They tried to model the "concept" of the album like Weezer did with Pinkerton, so there's another great album to be influenced by. I can not wait to see them live next month. Album of the Year so far for me.

I've seen and heard these guys everywhere lately. Solid sound, thx for the tip.

Saw Flight of the Conchords Thursday night. Pretty good show... once you've heard the songs a million times and they cease to be funny, they remain really catchy. Eugene Mirman was also there. Favorite comedian by far.

Going to see Chin Up Chin Up (local indie/art rock band) play their last show next week. Had to see them live before they broke up.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 1, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
I've seen and heard these guys everywhere lately. Solid sound, thx for the tip.

Really? Are they getting some radio play or something? Cause that would be awesome....

QUOTE (almagest @ May 2, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Saw Flight of the Conchords Thursday night. Pretty good show... once you've heard the songs a million times and they cease to be funny, they remain really catchy. Eugene Mirman was also there. Favorite comedian by far.

Going to see Chin Up Chin Up (local indie/art rock band) play their last show next week. Had to see them live before they broke up.

Oh s*** I didnt know they were breaking up. I seen them when they opened up for Minus the Bear and they were awesome. Where are they playing at?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 2, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Oh s*** I didnt know they were breaking up. I seen them when they opened up for Minus the Bear and they were awesome. Where are they playing at?
Yeah, one of their band members died right around the time they finished recording their first album, in 2004. They released another in 2006, and have been silent since, so I'm not surprised. The show is at the Empty Bottle on Friday, May 15 (whoops, wrong about the next week part) at the Empty Bottle. Tickets only $8.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:45 AM)
Yeah, one of their band members died right around the time they finished recording their first album, in 2004. They released another in 2006, and have been silent since, so I'm not surprised. The show is at the Empty Bottle on Friday, May 15 (whoops, wrong about the next week part) at the Empty Bottle. Tickets only $8.

I feel like I heard they were breaking up more than a year ago.

Has anyone ever seen some of the musical acts at the Taste of Chicago? Is it worth going to for music? Not in terms of the type of bands because I've read the lineup, but how long are the sets, are there too many people, etc.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
I feel like I heard they were breaking up more than a year ago.
Maybe? I don't remember hearing that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 3, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Maybe? I don't remember hearing that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Ah, I remember, I used to have a music web site and I wrote about it. That's why I was surprised to see what you said. They dissolved for quite a while!

I saw them at intonation in 2007.

I miss intonation.