Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 18, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
If you feel up to it, give these two albums a try:

Suspicious Activity?

Radiolarians II (this one is admittedly different, but still very good.)

From the Amazon audio clips, I can tell I'd like both of those. Thanks.

My jazz education has been very haphazard, and as a result my style preferences are all over the map. I really like the pre- Kind of Blue hard bop Miles and other bebop stuff immensely, and didn't care for the modal stuff originally when I first heard it. In time I came to appreciate the significance of that departure from the overcomplex chord progressions in hard bop.

On a given day when I'm in a jazz mood, I may just as easily listen to early New Orleans jazz, or Charley Christian, or Art Blakeley, or anything with Lionel Hampton playing vibes. A big jazzhead friend just turned me on to a lot of early Wes Montgomery which had somehow eluded me and is unbelievably good.

Like I said, all over the map with no rhyme or reason other than holding onto the accidental exposures that I've really liked.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
i cannot stop listening to "The Substitution" by Silversun Pickups. I really cant remember the last time I put a song on repeat so many times

^^^^^^^ thats a sick f***ing song.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
The movie was UNBELIEVABLE - can't wait to see the band. Are they still playing as a three-piece?

I have heard great things about this movie/doc. Interesting, Anvil kicked it around the 1980s and never really got much attention, always crawling beneath the surface. Their song "666" is one of the coolest songs though, tremendous mid-tempo riffing on that one. Other than that, I have very little else of their material.

Will have to check out that movie.

Yeah he was great in Everything is Illuminated. And the Congress is still pretty dumpy. What a great venue it's be if they could get the funds to do a proper renovation. Can't the city pick up part of the tab since it's most likely a historical landmark? s***, where are our outrageous tax dollars going?

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Does anyone else on here a huge fan of Chevelle?

I used to love everything they came out with. But I havent noticed them in a long time. Do they have anything new out that is worth getting?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 31, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I used to love everything they came out with. But I havent noticed them in a long time. Do they have anything new out that is worth getting?

What do you mean by a long time? "Vena Sera" was released in 2007 and that was an album that felt a lot harder than their previous ones. According to the band, their new album, "Sci-Fi Crimes", is going to be released in August so I'm pumped.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 29, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Yeah he was great in Everything is Illuminated. And the Congress is still pretty dumpy. What a great venue it's be if they could get the funds to do a proper renovation. Can't the city pick up part of the tab since it's most likely a historical landmark? s***, where are our outrageous tax dollars going?

Olympic bids, shrubs in parks, anything touristy.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Gogol Bordello were insanely good last night.

Forgot to mention there was a dude dressed up as Green Man (It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia) dancing in the crowd.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Forgot to mention there was a dude dressed up as Green Man (It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia) dancing in the crowd.

:lolhitting

that is great. Was he doing the acid dance?