Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Is anyone else completely sick of Beyonce and thinks the quality of her music has fallen off a cliff?

I wish she would retire and give us Jay-Z back.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Is anyone else completely sick of Beyonce and thinks the quality of her music has fallen off a cliff?

The quality of her music has been down for quite some time now.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
I wish she would retire and give us Jay-Z back.

I just read today that The Blueprint 3 will be out on September 11th. So we all get Jay-Z back.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
I've written a letter.

Dear Greenday,

Please Stop.

With Love, Thunderbolt

Anyone else wanna sign off on this one?

yeah, i wish they'd just go away.

I love Green Day, but this new album is fairly disappointing. I have a few theories, mainly that the album is too long and it's sequenced wrong - but the main failure is the production. Butch Vig is just wrong for them - their old stuff, while well-produced, had an aggression to the songs that is lacking from this album. He sanitized them, and while doing so, made them boring. It's too bad. I'm curious to hear how the songs sound live, and I'll bet they're better.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
I love Green Day, but this new album is fairly disappointing. I have a few theories, mainly that the album is too long and it's sequenced wrong - but the main failure is the production. Butch Vig is just wrong for them - their old stuff, while well-produced, had an aggression to the songs that is lacking from this album. He sanitized them, and while doing so, made them boring. It's too bad. I'm curious to hear how the songs sound live, and I'll bet they're better.

The new songs sound to me like they'll kick ass live.

I agree about the production - too glossy, too many effects, especially that "old-timey radio sound" on some of the vocals.

Green Day has always been a terrific live band. I'm very excited to see them next month.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I really do dig Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups.

That album has slowly taken over my world, Panic Switch, The Substitution, The Royal We, and There is no secrets this Year are constantly on in my car.

I just started checking out Carnavas again because it didnt stick with me the first time, and I found out how much I love Common Reactor as well, that song is fabulous.

I dont know what it is about the Pickups, but it just takes a little while for them to sink in for me and then I realize how much I like them. Such a unique sound

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 31, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
Does anyone else on here a huge fan of Chevelle?

I bought their CD with "The Red" on it and was disapointed. Probably my own fault as I had not researched that band enough (a little too nu metally for me).

Defintely not ragging your band, because to each his own, but other than "The Red" and one other song on that album, I really didn't like it.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
Probably going to get flamed for saying this, but JM3 is bad ass.

Actually, I don't think you should get flamed. I didn't think I liked Mayer at first, but he was doing a concert on some satellite channel one night and I was bored so I started watching. He was playing this amazing blues stuff. It was very impressive, fresh and unique. He's a tremendous musician and while I hated that 'pop song' he did about Jennifer Love Hewitt's body, that cat has more skills than many people know about.

Edited by kwolf68

The singer for Three Days Grace seriously has to be in the running for worst lyricist in recent rock history. That guy is a cliche machine... I heard that "I Don't Care" song on the radio today...Wowza....

I am late getting into them but I really like the Eagles of Death Metal. Is there anyone in that band that has been in the Foo Fighters or Queens of the Stone Age cause it feels like there is.

Alright it's 6 months into 2009, lets see some Albums of the Year at the mid-way point...

1. Manchester Orchestra - "Mean Everything to Nothing"

2. Silversun Pickups - "Swoon"

3. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

4. Thursday - Common Existence

5. dredg - "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion"

Still looking forward to:

fun. - "Aim and Ignite"

Every Time I Die - "New Junk Aesthetic"

Poison the Well - "The Tropic Rot"

Say Anything - S/T

Muse - The Resistence

And Hopefully New Jimmy Eat World, Angels & Airwaves, and Thrice

If Dino Jr comes to Chicago, I'll have to go.

I also echo the comments on Silversun Pickups.

As for Manchester Orchestra, I've listened to the new album a bit, I like it, but I think the more I listen the more I'll like it. A caller on Q101 the other day called "I've Got Friends" a "mix between Modest Mouse and Radiohead" which is...somewhat accurate, I think.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
As for Manchester Orchestra, I've listened to the new album a bit, I like it, but I think the more I listen the more I'll like it. A caller on Q101 the other day called "I've Got Friends" a "mix between Modest Mouse and Radiohead" which is...somewhat accurate, I think.

If you have the chance to see them, you should. They are amazing live.

For any Faith No More fans out there, this was the setlist they played in the UK the other night:

Reunited (Peach & Herb cover)

The Real Thing

From Out Of Nowhere

Land Of Sunshine

Caffeine

Evidence

Chinese Arithmetic

Surprise! You’re Dead!

Easy

Last Cup Of Sorrow

Midlife Crisis

Cockoo For Caca

The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies

RX

King For A Day

Malpractice

Jizzlobber

Be Aggressive

Epic

Mark Bowen

Encore 1

Chariots Of Fire/Stripsearch

Just A Man

Encore 2

I Started A Joke

Pristina

Yeeeeeeeeah, that's cream worthy right there. Please come and do a US tour......