Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I think the Postal Service should look into pressing charges against Owl City. Honestly, i had no idea those weren't crappy Ben Gibbard songs until somebody told me.

Me too - I thought the exact same.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
I think the Postal Service should look into pressing charges against Owl City. Honestly, i had no idea those weren't crappy Ben Gibbard songs until somebody told me.

Those are WAAAAAAAAAAAYYY to crappy to be Gibbard's...but I like anything DCab and PoServ puts out..

DukeNukeEm's Best Albums for 2009

1. Cymbals Eat Guitars Why There Are Mountains

2. The Thermals Now We Can See

3. PJ Harvey & John Parish A Woman and a Man Walked By

4. Dinosaur Jr. Farm

5. U2 No Line on the Horizon

6. The Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca

Edited by DukeNukeEm

I remember a few soundtracks growing up that were so much better than the movie ever was. The Romeo and Juliet soundtrack was pretty awesome, The Crow 2 had some really good songs, I think every kid I knew had the Mortal Kombat movie soundtrack, lol

I think I'm going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour when it comes to Minneapolis in March. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped. Getting to see Billy Cox is one thing, but getting to see him alongside the ridiculous lineup (including Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and more) they have at each show is going to be awesome.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I think I'm going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour when it comes to Minneapolis in March. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped. Getting to see Billy Cox is one thing, but getting to see him alongside the ridiculous lineup (including Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and more) they have at each show is going to be awesome.

Yeah, that could be a great show.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 27, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Gaga definitely looks better with brunette hair. She dyed it though when a reporter mistook her for Amy Winehouse. Regardless, she's a very talented musician. She sucks you in with the weirdness and dance/pop songs, but she's great musically. She's pretty sound at a couple of instruments and is excellent at the piano. Her voice, when she uses it is awesome.

Her live shows display her talent quite nicely.

the music critic guys on NPR (I think they're from the Tribune and Sun Times) described her shows and videos as actually bringing some amount of performance art into them instead of the typical dance routines.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
the music critic guys on NPR (I think they're from the Tribune and Sun Times) described her shows and videos as actually bringing some amount of performance art into them instead of the typical dance routines.

yeah, not trying to be cute, she brings dada performance art into her shoes. As pop stars go I think she's by far the most interesting. I'd rather someone feign outrageousness than virginity.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
Nickelback was named Billboard's "Band of the Decade".

WTF is wrong with Billboard?

They're irrelevant because CD sales are declining steadily?

Suckledick still sells records for some reason, so Billboard is grateful, I guess.

Lady Gaga couldn't be described as a band, technically, so it was either Craplesack or 3 Dorks Down.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Twenty years from now, there had better be a Nickelback tribute band named either Suckledick or Craplesack or else I'll be pissed.

If there isn't one I'll start it. I'm a bad enough singer to make it work, and I'd only have to learn one guitar part to play all their songs.

My Top Albums of 2009:

1. Manchester Orchestra - "Mean Everything to Nothing"

2. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "These Four Walls"

3. fun. - "Aim and Ignite"

4. Silversun Pickups - "Swoon"

5. Green Day - "21st Century Breakdown"

6. Say Anything - "Say Anything"

7. Dredg - "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delision" 

I'll add a top songs that didn't make the top 7 albums of '09 list later...

copy/paste

I wrote this somewhere else.

I already kind of declared this year a success when MPP and Veckatamest exceeded my expectations. It's been so rare this decade for an established band to follow up with a great album that I'm fine with 2 excellent albums and a bunch of crap. That said, I don't think the rest of the year was filled with crap. Go flips and the underwater peeps lineup:

1-2. MPP & Veckatamest

3. embryonic

4. Beach House (it's funny how some bands get trashed on for sounding the same every album, but bands like beach house, I don't ever want to change. Just keep pumping it out.)

...was beach house this year?

4A. Ptarmigan - Our ancient friends - maybe my favorite, no other album could hold a treasure chest of memories the way this one does.

5. Real Estate

6. Raekwon

7. Phoenix

8. Japandroids

9. Wavves

10. Girls

11. Neko Case

12. Ganglians

13. Marissa Nadler.

14. The Thermals

15. Wale

16. Ducktales

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The drummer with Avenged Sevenfold, a rising force in the heavy metal scene, died on Monday at his home in southern California, the group and authorities said. James Owen Sullivan, nicknamed "The Rev," appeared to have died of natural causes, Huntington Beach police Lt. John Domingo told the Orange County Register. He was 28. The Orange County Coroner's Office is investigating, the paper said.

This. Sucks.