Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
How telling is this? I go to numerous message boards, and I have yet to find one with a thread about last nights Grammy's. :huh:

All I've heard about on the radio was Kanye West blowing hard and Amy Crackhouse winning a bunch of awards.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
How telling is this? I go to numerous message boards, and I have yet to find one with a thread about last nights Grammy's. :huh:

They still are awarding Grammys? I thought thay cancelled them years ago. Where can I download the winners?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
They should cancel them. The only award show that is judged by sales instead of artistic achievement.

Some would say that the sales are the awards. People have an option to vote with their dollars, the strongest vote of all. Unless you prefer a couple people in an ivory tower deciding what is best. But that sounds like Communism to me, and I'm an American :usa :lol:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
They should cancel them. The only award show that is judged by sales instead of artistic achievement.

That Amy Winehouse album was excellent. Mostly because of the Dap-Kings backing her, and in my opinion was very much deserving of the awards she received. Also, the Marc Ronson album that came out (her producer) was also really good and should have gotten more exposure.

So, I'm kinda all about the new Nada Surf and MGMT right now.

Old Guy R&R News

TOWNSHEND REVEALS HIS WISH LIST FOR THE WHO IN 2008

Great news for all Who fans. In his latest blog entry on thewho.com, Pete Townshend gives you a sneak preview into what could be a packed diary for The Who in 2008.

"After a talk with Roger yesterday," writes Pete, "we came up with a wish-list style plan. We still like the idea of playing Japan - especially as Amazing Journey has yet to be released there and we might be able to give it a push by performing there around the time of the release this Autumn. We also talked about revisiting Quadrophenia the way we did it in the '90s. This is all work for the Autumn. Roger is working on his own idea for an album for us, with the producer T-Bone Burnett, who is an old friend of mine. I am hoping to come up with some songs for a more conventional Who record. There is a chance we might play some shows in the Festival season this summer."

Make sure you bookmark www.thewho.com for updates as they come in.

www.thewho.com
SMASHING PRECONCEPTIONS

This blog entry follows the publication of an exclusive interview in which Pete answers the questions of 50 subscribers to thewho.com in his own inimitable, uncompromising way.

"Pete may not be smashing guitars anymore," says Rob Lee, Editor of thewho.com, "but he hasn't stopped smashing preconceptions." To read the full text of both the blog and the interview and to receive the full range of benefits of being an official "Wholigan", click here to subscribe.

READ THE INTERVIEW

www.thewho.com
Forward this email to 5 of your friends who are either fans of The Who or who you think ****ing well should be!

Or, if you're feeling generous, buy them all membership to thewho.com. Help us grow the community of Who fans.

LEARN MORE

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
Anyone like The Cool Kids? If so, is there anywhere I can download "88" and "Mikey Rocks"? I can only find "Black Maggs" (excellent and kind-of funny music video, BTW).

I can get you their EP if you'd like, just let me know.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
Anyone like The Cool Kids? If so, is there anywhere I can download "88" and "Mikey Rocks"? I can only find "Black Maggs" (excellent and kind-of funny music video, BTW).

I saw them open for M.I.A. back in November and really liked their performance. I came home and listened to a few of their songs and I gotta say while they were still decent, they were much better live. Something just didn't translate too well from the performance to the studio.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
So, I'm kinda all about the new Nada Surf and MGMT right now.

I really wanted to like MGMT but I just couldn't get into it. It was shy of being oracularly spectacular as they would have led me to believe.

I am however digging Panda Bear's release from early last year called Person Pitch. It's got this cool, airy, Badly Drawn Boy meets the Beach Boys feel to it that I can't get enough of.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 03:21 AM)

honestly if you just google the cool kids totally flossed out EP link you could get it.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
honestly if you just google the cool kids totally flossed out EP link you could get it.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I can get you their EP if you'd like, just let me know.

Can you guys post a link? I (admittedly) half-assed my search attempt for it, but the one place I did click just had the "88" song that I could play but not download. It would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
Can you guys post a link? I (admittedly) half-assed my search attempt for it, but the one place I did click just had the "88" song that I could play but not download. It would be greatly appreciated.

I'll PM you one.

You guys have been absolute money on some of the things I've asked for/needed help with, so I'm just going to keep shooting:

Dizzee Rascal -- someone worth checking out? He's making a CD with Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys. I haven't heard much of that British/UK hip-hop (grime?), but I think it's going to be my next venture.