Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
Yeah, but it's just a personal feeling for me and if you were to tell me that Jefferson Airplane or Nirvana was better, then I wouldn't argue with you really. They just happen to encompass everything I think a great RnR band needs to have. I understand why some might not love them as much as some do. What I don't get are the people who don't like then at all. :)

I know what you mean. I respect people's tastes, BUT there are some bands that if someone were to tell me they didn't like, then I'd have to say that person doesn't know music.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. I respect people's tastes, BUT there are some bands that if someone were to tell me they didn't like, then I'd have to say that person doesn't know music.

If somebody doesn't like The Hold Steady they just dont get rock music.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
If somebody doesn't like The Hold Steady they just don't like Bruce Springsteen either.

FICKST!!!

:lolhitting

I like some Hold Steady - Stuck Between Stations and Chips Ahoy are my favorite songs by them - but I'm not crazy about all their stuff.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
You guys are so funny, if people don't like the bands you like they don't know about music???

KG wrote that he didn't understand people not liking 'The Mats' at all. All I'm saying is that when I have that strong attachmen to a band, it's difficult to hear the other side.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
You know, they sometimes get the label of having all their songs sounding the same, and while I can understand the argument, I like their sound, so why complain?

Sam's Town got panned by some critics, but I have played the s*** out of that record. There might be 2 weak tracks on it.

It took me forever to get into Sam's Town, but damn if it isnt an amazing album. Better than Hot Fuss in my opinion. Uncle Johnny is probably the weakest song on Sam's Town, but thats about it.

Side note, I had never in my life heard The Hold Steady, and just went to their myspace. Ehhh, nothing special. The singers voice bores me, and the music is pretty straight forward.... (This is only upon first listen)

Upon seeing the amount of The Hold Steady love here, I got some of their stuff. I liked a lot of it. Not the best stuff I've ever heard, but worth listening to more -- we'll see if it grows on me.

They got to the part with the cattle and the creeping things,

they said I'm pretty sure we've heard this one before.

Don't it all end up in some revelation?

With 4 guys on horses, and violent red visions?

Famine and death and pestilence and war,

I'm pretty sure I heard this one before.

You in the corner with a good looking drifter,

two cups of coffee and ten packs of sugar,

I heard Gideon saw you in Denver,

he said you're contagious.

Silly rabbit:

Tripping is for teenagers.

Murder is for murderers.

And hard drugs are for bartenders.

... I think I might've mentioned that before.

He's got the pages in his pockets that he ripped out of the bible from his bedstand in the motel.

He likes the part where the traders get chased out from the temple.

I guess I heard about original sin,

I heard the dude blamed the chick,

I heard the chick blamed the snake.

I heard they were naked when they got busted

and I heard things ain't been the same since.

You're on the streets with a tendency to preach to the choir,

wired for sound and down with whatever.

I heard Gideon did you in Denver.

She's got a cross around her neck that she ripped off from a schoolgirl in the subway on a visit to the city.

She likes how it looks on her chest with three open buttons.

She likes the part where one brother kills the other.

She has to wonder if the the world ever will recover?

'Cause Cain and Abel seem to still be causing trouble.

She said: "I was seeing double for 3 straight days after I got born again

it felt strange but it was nice and peaceful

and it really pleased me to be around so many people.

Of course half of them were visions,

half of them were friend from going through the program with me.

Later on we did some sexy things,

took a couple photographs and carved them into wood reliefs.

Hey but that's enough about me,

c'mon tell me how you got down here into Ybor city."

He said: "I got to the part about the Exodus,

and up to then I only knew it was a movement of the people.

But if small town cops are like swarms of flies,

then blackened foil is like boils and hail.

I'm pretty sure I've been through this before."

And it seemed like a simple place to score.

And it seemed like a simple place to score.

And it seemed like a simple place to score;

Then some old lady came to the door,

said McKenzie Phillips doesn't live here anymore.

One of the greatest songs ever.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

Alright, Day & Age has leaked.

Veeeeeery early review upon first listen is that they completely abandoned the more "Rock" styling of Sam's Town. This album sounds like Hot Fuss on a bad acid trip in the 1980's... haha. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet. I definitely need to listen to it more, and in a better environment.

The album is very synth-heavy, with almost every song being driven by the keyboard. You can barely even tell there are guitars on here.

Best songs: (So Far)

"Spaceman"

"Human"

"This is Your Life" (My favorite right now)

Now it took me like a year to actually realize how awesome Sam's Town truly was, so I'll definitely be patient with this CD.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
I got it last night.

This album is going to take a lot of getting used to, but I think it will grow on me. I loved Sam's Town right off the bat, but this one I think I'm going to have to come around on. I have only listened to it once through, so I'm sure things will change.

It defenitly has the Bowie feel to it, which is what Flowers said he was going for. You mentioned "This is Your Life", which I think sounds a lot like Talking Heads.

Oh, and Spacemen is a fantastic single.

It's definitely OUT THERE haha

It feels like an album where you're wondering around the Nevada desert high as s*** trying to find Las Vegas.... And at one point you get abducted by aliens...

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Alright, Day & Age has leaked.

Veeeeeery early review upon first listen is that they completely abandoned the more "Rock" styling of Sam's Town. This album sounds like Hot Fuss on a bad acid trip in the 1980's... haha. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet. I definitely need to listen to it more, and in a better environment.

The album is very synth-heavy, with almost every song being driven by the keyboard. You can barely even tell there are guitars on here.

Best songs: (So Far)

"Spaceman"

"Human"

"This is Your Life" (My favorite right now)

Now it took me like a year to actually realize how awesome Sam's Town truly was, so I'll definitely be patient with this CD.

you know, I feel the exact same way. I avoided it like the plague at first, but now I really like it

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
The new people under the stairs is pretty good.

I'm afraid to listen to kanyes new album as I believe its going to be crap like his 2 singles. Disappointing after his last album was his best.

I'd give the new Kanye an 8.1/10...it's a good pop album, nothing more...nothing less.

Good day for hip-hop fans with the new Ludacris album also coming out today, as well as a new EP by Evidence.

You older guys might remember a song called "I don't wanna lose your love" by The Outfield, kind of a big radio hit in the 80's. Anyway, that song gets a LOT of heavy rotation around here. It's always on the radio and playing at the bars. I hadn't heard that song in like 15 years. Has it made some kind of comeback?....or is it just around here?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
You older guys might remember a song called "I don't wanna lose your love" by The Outfield, kind of a big radio hit in the 80's. Anyway, that song gets a LOT of heavy rotation around here. It's always on the radio and playing at the bars. I hadn't heard that song in like 15 years. Has it made some kind of comeback?....or is it just around here?

No comeback for that song around here. At the time the song came out I thought it was too overproduced, but I've grown to like it more over time. Midtown did a good cover version.