Music Thread

greasywheels121

I always saw a "scene" as the city, but the music styles define the scenes. Seattle is known for the Grunge scene, LA was best known for the Hairband thing with a smaller nudge to the late 70's Arty Punk. Washington D.C. in the 80's was known for its Punk scene. New York known for it's Punk and Metal bands. Minneapolis for the Punk bands that would eventually all become what was known as "College Rock", which eventually became called "Alternative". Obviously Chicago is known for its Blues scene. So the scene would be the music genre within the city.

When I was heavily into the Punk thing in the 80's my friends and I would always greet each other at shows with a "hey...how's your scene?" as a joke. The Punks in the 80's were VERY serious about the whole "support your scene" thing. We always joked about the killer scene we had...in Crystal Lake.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I always saw a "scene" as the city, but the music styles define the scenes. Seattle is known for the Grunge scene, LA was best known for the Hairband thing with a smaller nudge to the late 70's Arty Punk. Washington D.C. in the 80's was known for its Punk scene. New York known for it's Punk and Metal bands. Minneapolis for the Punk bands that would eventually all become what was known as "College Rock", which eventually became called "Alternative". Obviously Chicago is known for its Blues scene. So the scene would be the music genre within the city.

When I was heavily into the Punk thing in the 80's my friends and I would always greet each other at shows with a "hey...how's your scene?" as a joke. The Punks in the 80's were VERY serious about the whole "support your scene" thing. We always joked about the killer scene we had...in Crystal Lake.

Did all of the cities and 'scenes' really have their own sound though? What exactly was the 'grunge' sound? If you look at the four or five bands that carried the torch for 'grunge', the styles are different.

Did the punk bands from NY sound different from the punk bands in DC and Minny and did they have similar sounds to the other bands in their same city?...and was it a new sound?

I've had Waitress in the Sky in my head most of the day.

Often, I've found that you guys can give some pretty good band recommendations. I listened to The Hold Steady because of LMB and DukeNukeEm always talking about them, I got some Motion City Soundtrack because Gage said they were pretty good, and I just started listening to the Replacements (literally only just -- I've listened to a couple albums once so far, but not Let It Be yet, that's next) because Kid said they were really good, and the same goes for the Pixies.

In short: You guys give good music listening tips. Good job.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:43 AM)
I've had Waitress in the Sky in my head most of the day.

Often, I've found that you guys can give some pretty good band recommendations. I listened to The Hold Steady because of LMB and DukeNukeEm always talking about them, I got some Motion City Soundtrack because Gage said they were pretty good, and I just started listening to the Replacements (literally only just -- I've listened to a couple albums once so far, but not Let It Be yet, that's next) because Kid said they were really good, and the same goes for the Pixies.

In short: You guys give good music listening tips. Good job.

Kid hates the Pixies, but others here (including me) enjoy them.

I like the fact that the young'uns talk about the hip-hop, other whippersnappers enjoy the alternative groups, and the "wily veterans" wax nostalgic about the bands of yesteryear, all in the same forum.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I really want to like The Hold Steady but I just cant. The lead singers voice sounds like the guy the makes songs for kid movies I dont know his name (he did some songs in Toy Story).

Randy Newman?

I can hear Randy Newman in the singer for the Hold Steady.

So if Randy Newman did Springsteen songs, you'd get THS?

HA!

I like a few Hold Steady songs, but not a whole lot of them. They're okay, though.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
Kid hates the Pixies, but others here (including me) enjoy them.

I like the fact that the young'uns talk about the hip-hop, other whippersnappers enjoy the alternative groups, and the "wily veterans" wax nostalgic about the bands of yesteryear, all in the same forum.

Very, very, very true. One of my most hated bands.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I really want to like The Hold Steady but I just cant. The lead singers voice sounds like the guy the makes songs for kid movies I dont know his name (he did some songs in Toy Story).

Probably Raffi

I'm having a hard time deciding between Beach HOuse and Titus Andronicus for my #1. Both had an equal number of songs on my best of 2008 playlist, and both were more than any other band. I think Wedding Bell is my favorite song though.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Randy Newman?

I can hear Randy Newman in the singer for the Hold Steady.

So if Randy Newman did Springsteen songs, you'd get THS?

HA!

I like a few Hold Steady songs, but not a whole lot of them. They're okay, though.

Randy Newman/Bruce Sprinsteen/Bob Mould had a baby; the THS. :lolhitting I guess that's an easy comparison at a quick listen.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
I don't really follow Kanye, but this was interesting:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/blenderbu...ht-lip-synching

Part of the reason I don't really follow hip hop is because most of what I've heard sounds horrible live.

naw its great. Go check Hollywood Holt in Chicago for a show, you'll have a good time.

Hmm, just watched the 'Throw A Kit' video and listened to the other song streaming on the Hollywood Holt site. I'm not a huge fan of hip hop, but it doesn't sound too much different or better than all the other stuff I ocassionally hear.

I thought hip hop had evolved past using the 'N' word and calling women 'b****es'. Isn't that the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Educate me.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Hmm, just watched the 'Throw A Kit' video and listened to the other song streaming on the Hollywood Holt site. I'm not a huge fan of hip hop, but it doesn't sound too much different or better than all the other stuff I ocassionally hear.

I thought hip hop had evolved past using the 'N' word and calling women 'b****es'. Isn't that the difference between rap and hip-hop?

Educate me.

Eh, the difference between hip-hop and rap is something that can be debated until the end of time. Everyone has their own definition. I never thought much of the usage of the 'N' word or calling women "b****es" unless it was being used for no reason.

If you were looking to get some kind of deep meaning from Hollywood Holt, you're looking in the wrong place. I love Holt but his music is something strictly to play at a party or something to enjoy with your friends.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
There is a rumor floating around that Anthony K. of the Silly Peppers has kidney disease and might not make it.

Anyone else heard this?

That doesnt really sound right if you ask me. What kidney disease would he be dieing from so suddenly? Kidney failure would have been a long process that we would have heard about ,and why wouldnt he just get a kidney transplant?

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
That doesnt really sound right if you ask me. What kidney disease would he be dieing from so suddenly? Kidney failure would have been a long process that we would have heard about ,and why wouldnt he just get a kidney transplant?

He's been reclusive for about a year. The details are sketchy, again it's a rumor.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)

Though a kidney is probably the easiest and most common transplant, I will say that a transplant relies on other people, and not enough people in this world have their heads out of their asses and donate their organs.

Speaking of reclusive music folks, whatever happened to Eminem? Can't stand the guy, but his complete vanishing act is pretty darn tooting interesting.

Also...whatever happened with the Van Halen tour? They canceled it for mysterious reasons, and that was that. Nothing has been heard since then, and the official site still reads at the middle of the tour. Nothing about a cancellation or anything.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)
Though a kidney is probably the easiest and most common transplant, I will say that a transplant relies on other people, and not enough people in this world have their heads out of their asses and donate their organs.

Speaking of reclusive music folks, whatever happened to Eminem? Can't stand the guy, but his complete vanishing act is pretty darn tooting interesting.

Also...whatever happened with the Van Halen tour? They canceled it for mysterious reasons, and that was that. Nothing has been heard since then, and the official site still reads at the middle of the tour. Nothing about a cancellation or anything.

Thats why you gotta ask a family member to borrow you one of theirs.....or he could just ask Flea.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)

He's been producing as of late. Currently working on his next album.