Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Pitchfork Music Festival's initial lineup:

Friday*:

The Jesus Lizard

Built to Spill

Yo La Tengo

Tortoise

Saturday:

The National

Pharoahe Monch

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Sunday:

Grizzly Bear

The Walkmen

Vivian Girls

*fans vote on setlist.

This is about 1/3 of the lineup btw. I'm pretty stoked, this is about as good as it's ever been for them. The Jesus Lizard is a huge get.

Yeah, that Friday nite is pretty sweet.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Nope. Don't like either one of 'em.

I understand their place in rock history, but I don't enjoy their music.

That's fine.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
I like them both. Ditto for Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Chubby Checker, the Everlys, etc. Great, pure stuff that thumbed it's nose at the social and musical establishments as much as anything since, and laid out the rules that everybody since then has been bending but never quite breaking.

Yup. Great, important stuff.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Pitchfork Music Festival's initial lineup:

Friday*:

The Jesus Lizard

Built to Spill

Yo La Tengo

Tortoise

Saturday:

The National

Pharoahe Monch

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

Sunday:

Grizzly Bear

The Walkmen

Vivian Girls

*fans vote on setlist.

This is about 1/3 of the lineup btw. I'm pretty stoked, this is about as good as it's ever been for them. The Jesus Lizard is a huge get.

OMG!!! Since when is the Jesus Lizard playing together again??.... or is it a one time reunion performance?..... is Yow still in one piece? My favorite Chicago band, ever.Great line up by the way.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
OMG!!! Since when is the Jesus Lizard playing together again??.... or is it a one time reunion performance?..... is Yow still in one piece? My favorite Chicago band, ever.Great line up by the way.

friday's in the past have been those ATP ...masterpiece or something performances where they play their best album. I think Jesus Lizard played a show like that for the ATP a year or two ago.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
friday's in the past have been those ATP ...masterpiece or something performances where they play their best album. I think Jesus Lizard played a show like that for the ATP a year or two ago.

The Jesus Lizard at Lounge Axe is one of the best shows I have ever been to.

I might have to fly home to catch them. I wonder if Yow even has a voice....there wasn't much of one left and that was 15 years ago.

4 Lollapalooza Headliners leaked:

Jane's Addiction

Depeche Mode

Beastie Boys

Kings of Leon

Likely 2 more big names yet to be leaked/announced (rumors abound about the last of the big names with Tool being the one that's most mentioned), but I can't say I'm terribly excited so far. Thoughts?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
I have heard of exactly three of those pitchfork bands by name, none by music, am i musically lacking in some way, or are these bands intentionally obscure?

Depends on what you are in to. I might try to get up there for Friday night. I've seen Built to Spill and Yo La Tengo live several times and both can really be incredible.

Jane's Addiction

Depeche Mode

Beastie Boys

Kings of Leon

Likely 2 more big names yet to be leaked/announced (rumors abound about the last of the big names with Tool being the one that's most mentioned), but I can't say I'm terribly excited so far. Thoughts?

That's a pretty big step down from Radiohead, Wilco and Kanye West. KoL are good live, the Beasties are fun... but that's about it.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
That's a pretty big step down from Radiohead, Wilco and Kanye West. KoL are good live, the Beasties are fun... but that's about it.

I'm shocked that lollapalooza could nab Jane's Addiction!!!!

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

Jane's Addiction

Depeche Mode

Beastie Boys

Kings of Leon

So far i'm not excited. Ever since the Beasties became "adults" and won't acknowledge anything they did in the 80's I don't respect them a whole lot.

I'm hoping the supporting bands will make the money worth it.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
Im actually excited about Janes addiction. 3 days is still one of my favorite songs of all time, maybe since the original lineup is reuniting I can catch them playing it live

I wasn't disparaging them, just making the joke that Perry Farrel put his own (albeit former) band as the headliner for his festival.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I'm shocked that lollapalooza could nab Jane's Addiction!!!!

I assume that was supposed to be green. :D

I'd love to see the original Jane's Addiction lineup again. I saw them at Mabels in Champaign the month before Nothing's Shocking came out and they were great. Lollapalooza wouldn't be as intimate, of ccourse, but at Mabels you could get close enough to the band to see Perry Ferrell's track marks and that's hard to beat.

:D

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
I wasn't disparaging them, just making the joke that Perry Farrel put his own (albeit former) band as the headliner for his festival.

I thought Perry Ferrell is no longer involved/affiliated with Lollapalooza?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
He seems to be there every year introducing bands

huh, i thought he distanced himself from the planning aspect because he didnt like how mainstream it became. But then again, i didnt know if he came back or not after the hiatus that lolla took

Remember when Satellite Party played Lollapalooza and nobody cared? I'd rather see the joke the Smashing Pumpkins have become than Janes Addiction.

Usually Lollapalooza outbids P4k for some pretty good bands, and maybe the last headliner will be decent (even though it's almost a lock that it will be Tool).

Remember when Satellite Party played Lollapalooza and nobody cared? I'd rather see the joke the Smashing Pumpkins have become than Janes Addiction.

Usually Lollapalooza outbids P4k for some pretty good bands, and maybe the last headliner will be decent (even though it's almost a lock that it will be Tool).

[/quote

No one cared? I was at Lolla that year and not only were they a big draw, but they were the best performance that year. Farell is an amazing performer, I'd love to see JA.

Trent Reznor posted this on his recent Twitter

Says Reznor: "You know that feeling you get when somebody embarrasses themselves so badly YOU feel uncomfortable? Heard Chris Cornell's record? Jesus."

LOL