Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
I dunno, Chamberlin's drumming is a pretty integral part of their music.

Maybe the next release will sound like Adore, Part 2.

I actually grew to really like Adore probably more quickly than most people and I think all in all it might be better than everything but the first two albums. That said, I kind of got tired of the Corgan Experience during the Zwan days and I'm not expecting anything great out of him these days.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the new one from The Answer, Everyday Demons. Easily the best damn band out there doing the "Classic Rock" schtick. It never sounds like a gimmick with them and sounds just so damn natural. The vocalist, Cormac, has one hell of an impressive voice making it all complete. If you aren't familiar with them yet, and like just great ROCK, check them out for sure.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
Listening to the new one from The Answer, Everyday Demons. Easily the best damn band out there doing the "Classic Rock" schtick. It never sounds like a gimmick with them and sounds just so damn natural. The vocalist, Cormac, has one hell of an impressive voice making it all complete. If you aren't familiar with them yet, and like just great ROCK, check them out for sure.

I saw those guys open for AC/DC in October and was impressed.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 04:03 AM)
Jimmy Chamberlain sort of addresses his departure from Smashing Pumpkins:

http://jimmychamberlincomplex.com/blog/

Trying to read between the lines, it seems to me he got tired of being a "second fiddle" and/or Billy won't give up the publishing monies. (Hence the "something I don't fully possess" line).

..........or that Billy is a control freak. Jimmy finally grew a pair and said enough is enough....or he finally made as much cash as he wanted to off of Billy.

Billy and Trent Reznor are cut from the same cloth. Those guys both want to control every little aspect of their music, and inevitably drive away the original band and end up touring with paid stand-ins.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Billy and Trent Reznor are cut from the same cloth. Those guys both want to control every little aspect of their music, and inevitably drive away the original band and end up touring with paid stand-ins.

The original other 3 Pumpkins were stand-ins too.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
The original other 3 Pumpkins were stand-ins too.

really? wikipedia says otherwise, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashing_pumpkins

At the age of nineteen, singer and guitarist Billy Corgan left his native city of Chicago and moved to St. Petersburg, Florida with his gothic rock band The Marked. The band had limited success and quickly broke up. Corgan returned to Chicago, taking a job in a record store. While working there, he met guitarist James Iha. Adorning themselves with paisley and other psychedelic trappings, the two began writing songs together (with the aid of a drum machine) that were heavily influenced by The Cure and New Order.[6] Corgan met bassist D'arcy Wretzky in 1988 after a show by the Dan Reed Network where they argued the merits of the band. After finding out Wretzky played bass, Corgan stated his band's need for a bassist and gave Wretzky his telephone number. Wretzky soon joined the band, and she and Iha later had a short-lived romance.[7]

The first performance of The Smashing Pumpkins was on July 9, 1988, at the Polish bar Chicago 21. This performance included only Corgan and Iha with a drum machine.[8] On August 10, 1988, the band played for the first time as a trio at the Avalon Nightclub.[9] After this show, Cabaret Metro owner Joe Shanahan agreed to book the band on the condition that they replace the drum machine with a live drummer. Jazz drummer Jimmy Chamberlin was recruited for the band after a recommendation from a friend of Corgan's.[9] Chamberlin was at first an unlikely match, as he knew nothing of alternative rock at the time. As Corgan recalled of the period, "We were completely into the sad-rock, Cure kind of thing. It took about two or three practices before I realized that the power in his playing was something that enabled us to rock harder than we could ever have imagined."[6] On October 5, 1988, the complete band took the stage for the first time at the Cabaret Metro.[

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
really? wikipedia says otherwise, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashing_pumpkins

Yeah, technically not stand-ins, but more like necessary inconveniences, at least as far as the studio side of things. Especially on Siamese Dream, Corgan was doing a lot of bass tracks and redubbing lot's of iha's guitar parts as well. Chamberlin's drumming was pretty indispansable, though, and even when he'd disappear for days at a time on drug benders during those sessions Billy never tried doing drums himself or going back to the drum machine.

yeah it's funny I saw okkervil river and the decemberists back in...04 or 05. I feel like they've progressed very similarly with their latest albums. I'm not a big fan of the decemberists much anymore or okkervil river, but sheff's songwriting on black sheep boy was really wonderful. They both annoy me a bit now.

yeah it's funny I saw okkervil river and the decemberists back in...04 or 05. I feel like they've progressed very similarly with their latest albums. I'm not a big fan of the decemberists much anymore or okkervil river, but sheff's songwriting on black sheep boy was really wonderful. They both annoy me a bit now.

I could go off on a massive tangent about the state of what I guess people call "indie rock", but I'll just agree with you and leave it at that.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
I could go off on a massive tangent about the state of what I guess people call "indie rock", but I'll just agree with you and leave it at that.

I dunno, I kinda want to hear this tangent....