Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
This sounds like one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Their album comes out this week. I believe that it's already being shipped to Guantanamo bay to play loudly to keep prisoners awake.

It's actually harmless, inoffensive, mildly catchy and immediately forgettable power pop.

There are several songs that sound like Cheap Trick songs sung by a kid with a much weaker singing voice.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of figured it had to be power pop when I saw Cheap Trick and Fountains of Wayne listed.

For the record, I don't mind Fountains of Wayne...but I'm way too easily sucked in by catchy, really melodic songs. Hence, I'm a sucker for power pop. I always feel cheesy when listening to any of that stuff.

My wife went to see Chris Cornell last night.

She said he was great. Even his new songs sounded better than the recorded versions because the "beep boop beep" Timbaland production wasn't there.

She had some dumb b**** in front of her who felt it was necessary to throw her head back and swing her hair in their faces. There's always at least one dips*** who had to ruin things for people.

I got free tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie at the WTTW Soundstage taping last Thursday. The acoustics in that room are amazing. You're also about 20 feet from the band. It was a great show.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
I got free tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie at the WTTW Soundstage taping last Thursday. The acoustics in that room are amazing. You're also about 20 feet from the band. It was a great show.

You son of a b**** I am totally jealous. I didnt even know they were here I would have been all over that.

EDIT: I first typed I wouldnt be all over that.

lollapalooza announced

Lollapalooza organizers will reveal Tuesday the complete list of artists and bands scheduled to appear at the festival Aug. 7-9 in Grant Park.

Besides confirming headliners Depeche Mode, Tool, the Killers, Jane’s Addiction, Beastie Boys and Kings of Leon as reported last month in the Tribune, the festival also will announce sets by the following artists:

Lou Reed, Ben Harper, Thievery Corporation, Snoop Dogg, Rise Against, Andrew Bird, TV on the Radio, Vampire Weekend, the Decemberists, Neko Case. STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9), Animal Collective, Band of Horses, Of Montreal, Arctic Monkeys, Coheed and Cambria, Ben Folds and Fleet Foxes.

The rest of the lineup is as follows:

Silversun Pickups

Kaiser Chiefs

Crystal Castles

Bon Iver

Santigold

Atmosphere

Dan Auberbach

Cold War Kids

Deerhunter

Lykke Li

Robert Earl Keen

Peter Bjorn and John

Heartless Bastards

Gomez

Glasvegas

Federico Aubele

Dan Deacon

Passion Pit

The Raveonettes

The Gaslight Anthem

The Airborne Toxic Event

White Lies

Ra Ra Riot

No Age

Asher Roth

Los Campesinos!

Bat For Lashes

Chairlift

Gang Gang Dance

The Virgins

Amazing Baby

Portugal. The Man

The Knux

Ida Maria

Delta Spirit

Friendly Fires

Manchester Orchestra

Constantines

Ezra Furman & The Harpoons

Hockey

Miike Snow

Alberta Cross

Hey Champ

Sam Roberts Band

The Henry Clay People

Davy Knowles and Back Door Slam

Cage the Elephant

Living Things

The Low Anthem

Blind Pilot

Langhorne Slim

Other Lives

The Builders and The Butchers

Eric Church

Joe Pug

Kevin Devine

The Green Cards

Carney

Thenewno2

DJ sets etc. at Perry's Place

Bassnectar

MSTRKRFT

Simian Mobile Disco

DeadMau5

Boys Noise

KiD CuDi

Crookers

A-Trak

Hercules and Love Affair (DJ Set)

The Bloody Beetroots (DJ Set)

LA Riots

Kaskade

The Glitch Mob

Hollywood Holt

Rye Rye

He Say, She Say

Car Stereo (Wars)

Dark Wave Disco

Moneypenny

Yello Fever

Animal Collective (DJ Set)

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
My wife went to see Chris Cornell last night.

She said he was great. Even his new songs sounded better than the recorded versions because the "beep boop beep" Timbaland production wasn't there.

She had some dumb b**** in front of her who felt it was necessary to throw her head back and swing her hair in their faces. There's always at least one dips*** who had to ruin things for people.

Awesome concert...it was like seeing 3 concerts in one with a mixture of his solo, Audioslave and Soundgarden

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

My man love for these guys is strong, and I don't think I've personally had as much expectation for an album in many many years. They totally met them. They cover so much ground in this album, it's heavier than their debut album, especially the first half of the album. You can definitely hear the In Utero influence on this CD, and just early 90's rock in general. They tried to model the "concept" of the album like Weezer did with Pinkerton, so there's another great album to be influenced by. I can not wait to see them live next month. Album of the Year so far for me.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing

My man love for these guys is strong, and I don't think I've personally had as much expectation for an album in many many years. They totally met them. They cover so much ground in this album, it's heavier than their debut album, especially the first half of the album. You can definitely hear the In Utero influence on this CD, and just early 90's rock in general. They tried to model the "concept" of the album like Weezer did with Pinkerton, so there's another great album to be influenced by. I can not wait to see them live next month. Album of the Year so far for me.

Chisoxfn played an album for me and I was really diggin it but I didnt know what one it was. I guess I will just pick up their latest one then since you speak so highly of it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
Chisoxfn played an album for me and I was really diggin it but I didnt know what one it was. I guess I will just pick up their latest one then since you speak so highly of it.

Wow, Jason likes them? Maybe theres hope for that kid after all... Still won't make me forget he's from Orange County, but it's a start...

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Unless I can get tickets cheaper, I'll be skipping Lolla this year.

Get a daypass for the day you really want to be there. Unless you want to see it all, in that case you are SOL

Coachella was awesome btw - McCartney, Leonard Cohen, M Ward, Los Campinesos, X, Silversun Pickups, Murder City Devils, My Bloody Valentine (loudest show I've ever seen), and The Cure (who continued to play even after the promoters pulled the plug on them about three hours into their set.)

Edited by longshot7

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
Get a daypass for the day you really want to be there. Unless you want to see it all, in that case you are SOL

With my luck the acts I wanna see (Kings of Leon, Snoop Dogg, Asher Roth, TV on the Radio) will be on separate days.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Wow, Jason likes them? Maybe theres hope for that kid after all... Still won't make me forget he's from Orange County, but it's a start...

But........your from Orange County???

Jason could be from anywhere on this earth and he would still be the same Jason Ernesto Gage.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
But........your from Orange County???

Jason could be from anywhere on this earth and he would still be the same Jason Ernesto Gage.

I don't live in the O.C.

I live in the motherf'in Valley.

So, if you register on TakingBackSunday.com, they give you a free download of their new title track, New Again. Kind of a throwback to their more rockish music, more upbeat. It's different without Fred Mascherino in the background, but this sounds very TBS, unlike Sink Into Me, which I liked once I first heard it on the radio, but would not have picked it out immediately as TBS.